1,206 results
All reviews fire pit rain shower wood floors yogurt continental breakfast donuts pacific grove golf course short walk mile drive jetted tub great place to stay quiet area front office monterey area would definitely stay here again glass of wine pebble beach
Reviewed January 22, 2016

My wife and I enjoy the Monterey coast, especially the quiet, beauty and charm of Pacific Grove. In 32 years of marriage, we have probably visited the Monterey area 40 times. We have tried many hotels, probably most of those in Pacific Grove. We were big fans of, and enjoyed Lighthouse Suites for many years until its fatal deteriorating demise, at least in our hearts. We saw Sunset Inn (which is next door), liked the reasonable pricing, decided to give them a shot and spent two recent nights. The Inn is attractive, quiet, close to things we enjoy, seems to be a well maintained facility, with individual cottages with fireplaces. We saw an earlier less than positive review about Unit 118. My wife and I chuckled when we arrived and were headed to the office for check in, "I hope we do not get Unit 118". We didn't chuckle much when the gentleman at the counter said, "we have put you in Unit 118, at the end in Building 3." Well, we can confirm that Unit 118 has to be the worst possible room at this Inn. It is very small, has half a closet and cabinet (the other halves are taken by the stairwell for above unit), has one dinner table chair with a queen bed. Because a large lack of room space, we considered leaving our bags in our car trunk, so we would have room to maneuver around the room without falling. The earlier mentioned noise from above is confirmed. It sounds like military marching drills are being held overhead. You can hear and feel every step, and every movement ( I mean every movement) from those above. I do not believe it was intentional from the couple above. It is just the room. The next morning, we inquired with the front desk about possible relief. They were very helpful, and moved us to Unit 117, which was a huge improvement. A room at least as twice as big in size, had a small table area with 2 chairs, king bed, large bathroom, with room and space to enjoy. Night and Day difference. Our thanks to the fine office staff all around. We missed out both mornings on the possible continental breakfast. No bananas or donuts left when we got there. If I could be guaranteed Unit 117 or it twin(s), I would entertain booking the Sunset Inn again for our next Pacific Grove adventure.

Stayed: January 2016
2  Thank Bill1331
Michael G, Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2016

Hi Bill1331,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for staying at the Sunset Inn. I am so glad the staff were able to meet your needs and make sure you enjoyed your stay with us. The front desk staff are always more than happy to assists guests anyway they can. If you ever have any issues in the future, please feel free to let them know about it. Our complimentary continental breakfast goes daily from 8:00-10:00 am. We have our pastries delivered fresh daily. Please note that in the future, if you arrive after 10:00 the staff will have most likely cleared the breakfast. With that being said, please just let them know that you arrived late and it would be our pleasure to get you something from our kitchen. We thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you again soon on your next trip to the Monterey Peninsula :)

Reviewed January 22, 2016

We enjoyed our stay at the Sunset Inn. It is very charming and the location was great...close to the beach, butterfly grove and town. Also, the Point Pinos lighthouse is in walking distance. The staff was friendly and professional. We enjoyed chatting with Sherry at the front desk! The continental breakfast is sufficient, coffee, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Topaz001889

Hi Topaz001889,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a great review and for staying at the Sunset Inn. I'm so glad you enjoyed meeting our staff and our location in very close proximity to the ocean, butterfly sanctuary, the golf course, and cannery row. We hope you have a great 2016 and that we get a chance to see you soon during your next trip to the Monterey Peninsula :)

Reviewed January 19, 2016

The room we had was clean spacious. It had a great, safe balcony and a great jacuzzi tub that our kids really enjoyed! The wifi worked fine for us. The kitchen was clean and had a good quality coffee that we made in the morning. Really close to the beach and Carmel.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
Michael G, Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2016

Hi fjd2016,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a great review and for staying at the Sunset Inn. I appreciate you letting us know the wifi worked good for you. We provide great Woflgang Puck coffee in the rooms, which guest really seem to enjoy. This is in addition to the coffee we serve all day in the lobby. Our kitchen unit was just remodeled with granite counters and great stainless steel appliances. We are so glad you enjoyed it and we hope to see you again soon :)

Reviewed January 18, 2016

The rooms were spacious, updated and very clean. There was a nice gas fireplace and large flat screen TV. The bed was quite comfortable and the bathroom had a rain shower and was nicely appointed. The wifi was extremely slow to the point of being useless. I ended up switching to 4g. It is just a short walk to the ocean with spectacular views of the coastline and, of course, Pacific Grove is one of the most charming little towns on the west coast. My only other niggle was that we could hear our neighbors fairly well. Fortunately they were not particularly noisy otherwise, it might have been a problem.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled on business

Hi avodoc,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a good review and for staying at the Sunset Inn! I am so glad that you shared what a great place Pacific Grove is and how much you enjoyed the room. All of our rooms have been updated including all new beds, linens, and pillows. Our wifi system was updated this year as well, so I am disappointed to hear that it was slow for you. I will make a call to the company that installed it and see if it needs to be reset. I hope you have a great rest of your year and that we get a chance to see you in the near future during your next visit to the area :)

Reviewed January 11, 2016

The Sunset Inn has lovely, immaculate rooms. Some have fireplaces. Ours also had a mini fridge and microwave. The bathrooms are huge, at least in the room we stayed in. The king bed was very comfortable and the hotel was quiet. Only minus was that the front desk wanted to charge us $3 for a bottle opener. Not very accommodating. There was a small continental breakfast of donuts, yogurt and coffee in the office.

• Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blnavarremary
Michael G, Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2016

Hi blnavarremary,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a great review. I am so glad you enjoyed the rooms and our new pillow top mattresses! Our area is very quite and peaceful only one block from the ocean. Our staff are more than happy to open any bottles of wine for you. I will make sure to clarify this with them to avoid any confusion in the future. I hope that you have a great 2016 and we look forward to seeing you in the near future :)