“There Are Better Choices For Your Dollar”

Sea Breeze Inn & Cottages
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Sea Breeze Inn & Cottages

Gave this place a try from reading more positive reviews than negatives, staying 2 nights. On the positive side, the staff was friendly and attentive, the grounds were clean, lush and appealing, and the place is located near the beach. The room itself was okay and the king bed was comfortable. The “thin walls” issue pointed out by other reviewers wasn’t an issue for us, as we had an end unit.

On the negative side, after checking in late from a long drive up from Los Angeles, we couldn’t quite figure out the odd scent they “freshened” the room with. Someone else reviewed and described it as something like cornflakes and bleach. Pretty accurate! Upon settling in, I immediately had to deal with a nasty overflowing toilet. The heels of my feet got pinched in the cracked fiberglass floor of the tub/shower. I wonder where THAT drains to? The tiny threadbare towels were a joke, and were in short supply. There was no place to hang them after use, either. Anyway, the next day we left after reporting the toilet problem. It was all fixed by the time we returned. I was horrified when I reached for the “fresh” towel, only to discover it appeared to have been used by someone to wipe themselves. Ick! Sorry, but I won’t be returning to the Sea Breeze Inn and Cottages. There are better choices for the money out there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Margyver59

Reviewed August 29, 2010

I wanted to extend my recent August vacation stay by one night. I walked in to the front desk at Sea Breeze and explained that I was staying across the street at the Anton Inn, and wished one more night of vacation. What did they have? They offered me a fair rate, early check in at 12 noon, a quiet room(102) with a small fridge, a nice television, a comfortable platform queen bed, an excellent bathroom facility, ice machine, heated swimming pool, heated outdoor hot tub. This allowed me to stay one more night in Pacific Grove before returning to Sacramento. I had an enjoyable walk on Fisherman's Wharf(parking is free after 8pm)on the street. I got up early the next day, packed my car, and left the keys to the pool and room in a lock box at the door and was on my way. A quick trip to Trader Joe's in town got me a nice supper which I enjoyed in my room. Pleasant stay! I believe they have coffee and muffin service in the morning but I left at 7am.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2010

I was in town for the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance for a couple days and stayed at this hotel (Lodge). The room was $240 a night! It was nice and clean, but there was no cofee maker, plastic waster cups, a broken ironing board, 2 lights that didn't work and of the 13 channels the TV was supposed to get 2 didn't come in! The office is only open from 8AM - 10PM so good luck getting help if you need it any other time, they don't even have someone answering the phones! When I complained to the lady in the office she seemed very unconcerned and unapologetic. I see people have had a good experience so maybe they just feel they can slack off during the Concours when rooms are hard to get and they can charge $240 for $40 room!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank toonjunki
Reviewed August 9, 2010

After several nights in a dark, cramped cell in San Francisco (which for some reason has slightly higher reviews on TA), we spent two nights here and loved it. The room was spacious and well-appointed, the beds were comfortable, the grounds attractive and very peaceful, and the staff was very friendly. This isn't a 5 star resort, but for a roadside motel, it would be hard to beat. We also really liked Pacific Grove -- a very short drive from Cannery Row (and only slightly farther to Carmel) -- but without the crowds, traffic and noise. And with very good restaurants. Both the tepid and critical reviews for this motel really surprise me; seems like they must have stayed at a different place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The Sea Breeze Inn and Cottages is a find. Great looking rooms. Friendly Staff and above all fair rates. We'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Sea Breeze Inn. I found a good rate online through booking.com. I called the hotel directly to try to book through them at the same rate, but they wouldn't do it - they wanted to charge $50-60 more per night.
We ended up with a cottage that had a queen bed, full bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hairdryer, and a rather small TV. The room was clean and pretty comfortable. The bed was ok - not too hard, but not very soft either. Would have been nice if the sheets and towels were of better quality.

It was a very quiet location - no problems with street noise or loud guests. FREE WIFI available throughout the property.

Although this is listed in TripAdvisor as a B&B, breakfast is barely passable. The breakfast consisted of a small table in the lobby that had some OJ, coffee and Costco-style muffins that were cut in half.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Cute little newly remodeled rooms, which are nicely furnished! Room was small, but I only slept there. Front desk staff was super friendly and helpful. Rooms were cleaned well daily. I will stay in this awesome hotel every time I head to Monterey! Very reasonably priced. You can also get discount tickets to the Monterey Bay Aquarium at the front desk. Well worth it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends