“Comfortable stay”

Sea Breeze Inn & Cottages
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stay in Pacific Grove approximately once a year -always in a different hotel because we haven't found one we like enough to return to. That has changed. We reserved at the Sea Breeze on the recommendation of friends who stay there every year during the AT&T Pro-Am. (The hotel is a sponsor of the Pacific Grove shuttle to the golf tournament, so rides are free, a a savings of $20 per day per person. The shuttle to and from CSUMB is free but takes forever.) Staff was friendly and efficient. The motel has units on both sides of Lighthouse Avenue. It has a number of different sized units, including old-style motel rooms in a row, free-standing cottages, and at least two wheelchair accessible rooms. Our unit had been updated with dual pane windows and new window coverings. The floor coverings appeared new. Our unit had a microwave, a small refrigerator, and a coffeepot. Our friends' unit had a flat screen tv but ours did not. There was upgraded cable/satellite including HBO. The bedding was of a good quality with a nice duvet. I found the bed a bit firm but my husband liked it. The towels were a little worn but adequate. There was plenty of storage. Internet access was excellent. Everything was very clean. Although the motel was full, I heard no noise, including between rooms. The continental breakfast consisted of coffee, orange juice, microwavable oatmeal, and muffins. Overall we found the Sea Breeze to be a clean and comfortable choice.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mrdduck

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Well, the location is great. Close to the beach and shopping. That's about all I can say about it. The rooms are VERY small, tiny TV with very few channels and many don't come in well. Like someone else said, the only heater is on the wall and is very small. The door to our room was open when we got there so the room was freezing. It took a good hour to warm up. There is barely enough room to walk around the bed. My husband was there for a conference and they had reasonable rooms so he booked it. Doubt we will stay there again. The pictures are misleading.....

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lorilscsw
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My daughter and son in law were here for their Anniversary and stayed in one of the cottages Rm.#112. The bed was comfortable and the room appeared clean. The Bathroom shower was Disgusting! Tile was black from mold under grout. They had a rubber mat down and that's the only place you felt comfortable in standing to shower. No continental breakfast. Just a muffin and coffee. I definitely would NOT stay at this establishment again. And they said they upgraded?

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Orchard Orchid
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed at Sea Breeze Inn for a weekend visit to Monterey in early November. The location was perfect in Pacific Grove close enough to major attractions for convenience but far enough from the tourist centers to allow for a less frantic pace. For those with the energy and time, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is within walking distance. I would recommend taking the slightly longer but infinitely more scenic street and trail along the bay.
The hotel itself was clean and comfortable and at a fraction of the price of other options I investigated. There were not any issues with hearing guests in neighboring rooms as some reviewers have noted. The hotel seemed quite full, but the entire weekend was quiet.
The hotel staff was friendly and courteous and upgraded us to a larger room at no extra charge.
The complimentary continental breakfast lacked variety and was a little sparse but for what I paid for the room, I was amazed any breakfast was included at all.
All in all, this hotel is a great value and comfortable. I would stay there again when visiting the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pacuarecholo
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This place is great! The room was clean and extremely comfortable. It even had a fireplace!
The staff was very nice- I left my sneakers behind by accident and they arranged for them to get ups'ed back to me.
The water pressure in the shower was good compared to the other placed we stayed on our trip. Parking was plentiful and the beach is a 15 minute walk away.
If you need a place to stay in Monterey/ surrounding area - choose this place! The value is exceptional!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MinaNYC19
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed here October 3rd and 4th, 2013. Was only going to say one night, but enjoyed the atmosphere and location so much, I stayed another night. The walls were a bit thin (I could hear my neighbor snoring a bit), but the room was as pictured. Find me a hotel with the same rate that doesn't have thin walls! The bed was comfortable, the TV outdated, but with the ocean a block away and shopping a few more blocks away, an outdated TV was the least of my concerns. The room was equipped with a hair dryer (a huge bonus), a refrigerator, a microwave and a small coffee maker. No, it didn't have ocean views, but you could walk to the beach in 5-10 minutes. The area is residential and safe. Wildlife abound! My first morning, 4 deer walked within inches of my car! I found the staff incredibly friendly. The parking area is tight, but manageable. I was informed that lobby opens at 8am. At 8am, the doors opened, I was greeted by staff with smiling faces and fresh coffee and muffins. I am sorry that others didn't find the Sea Breeze Inn as charming as I did. The rate of my room was fantastic for the location alone. The lighthouse is right around the corner. Everything you want to see is within a few miles- Monterey Aquarium, Fisherman's Wharf, 17 Mile Drive, etc. and I loved that I could buy my Aquarium ticket through the hotel. I was able to avoid the LONG line. Should I return to the area, I will be staying here. I was in California from the 2nd-7th, and out of the three hotels I stayed in, this was the best.
Most definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Have dinner at the Asian restaurant next door- it's a...