“Cute and cozy.”

Sea Breeze Inn & Cottages
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had a private cottage, which was lovely. It was private, comfortable in size and well decorated. However, the heater in our cottage was not working. The maintenance staff remedied the problem with bringing a large portable space heater into our room. It worked well throughout the night. It was clean and the front desk staff were helpful with any questions we had. One perk of the hotel was being able to park right in front of the cottage. It made for easier unloading and loading and I didn't have to worry about my car. Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: Go with the cottages for sure.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked through pricelines name your own price for 63.00 a night, and was extremely pleased when on check in we were given a queen cottage. The room was clean and roomy, the staff was helpful and polite.
In short we had a great stay at a great price

Room Tip: Get a cottage for privacy and peace and quiet
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whitetrashtraveler
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Thiis was our first time to stay here. We stayed in one of the cottages which was very quaint, very quiet and extremely clean. Nice walk to the downtown area for a great choice of restaurant options.

I wish travelers would stop expecting Waldorf Astoria-like amenities...if you want name-brand soaps and high-end accommodations, then stop rating places like this with one or two stars and go stay at the Intercontinental or Marriott in Monterey. The Sea Breeze is for more budget-conscious travelers. The rates are great for a spur of the moment weekend getaway and as long as linens and the rest of the room is clean, it's deserving of five stars.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Skeeterzz
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The stand alone detached cottages were very clean and quiet and located on the sunny side of Pacific Grove. There is a small fridge and microwave for easy meals. You also get keys to the hot tub and pool across the street at the Lodge. There is an outside firepit for those warm evenings. Sea Breeze is conveniently located between Asilomar and Monterey and far from the crowds. Downtown Pacific Grove and Monterey are a very short drive away. The staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StrayCatsCA
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, so I went in knowing that there were flaws. The price was right for the room, and the location was fantastic, but other than that, this hotel is awful and needs improvement. The walls are very, very thin so the early morning 7:00 chatting and kids screaming next door wasn't very fun. The shower water turned cold when the room next to us turned on their shower. At 3:30 p.m. we returned to our room with no maid service yet. The maid knocked on our door after we went in and asked to clean our room. Um, no, you need to come back when we leave. I think 3:30 is plenty of time to have the room cleaned considering we left around 9:00 that morning. The beds are very uncomfortable and we sank in the middle, the towels are thin, and the pillows were thin. The heater is outdated and it was hard to regulate the room. It was either cold or hot. Other than location, I would never recommend this hotel and wil not be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank KrisMcBride
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Went to Monterey/Pacific Grove for annual conference. Not my first time in town so wanted to try accommodations closer to the Asilomar Beach end of town. Found a good deal online via the owners website, but buyer beware. The added taxes juiced up the price by $15 a night.

Property is located in a quiet residential area on the far end of Lighthouse Ave. about 3/4 of a mile from "town" and is split into 2 parts located across Lighthouse Ave. from each other. Asilomar Conference grounds and state beach are about 1 mile away. Best approach is via CA Highway 1, through Monterey and onto Lighthouse Ave after you exit the tunnel near the Presidio. Don't forget to go left on David Ave and then right again on Lighthouse as Lighthouse turns into Central near the Aquarium. Read on for details.

PRO: Cute cottages...I had my own cottage for the price of a regular room. Well appointed and decorated. No worries about noise since I was not sharing a wall, ceiling or floor with anyone else. Large bathroom with tiled, stand up shower. Seating area with mini fridge and microwave nearby.

CON: The heat for the unit was a small wall heater with barely enough punch to heat the seating area let alone the whole room. The tile floors were a bit cold! Mind you it was Nov/Dec when I stayed here so cold toes is a concern. TV was not a flat panel and despite being wired for cable, the picture quality was disappointing. Water in the shower took forever to heat up. Not exactly water conscious for California.

PRO: Pool and hot tub available. One of the reasons I booked the Sea Breeze was to take advantage of a nice hot tub soak after a day of conference going.

CON: It was located across the street from my cottage. Not usually a big deal for me, but it was raining cats and dogs during my weekend stay, so there was no way I was walking the 200 yards over there. I guess I could have driven, but not really very green to do that, even for a good hot tub.

PRO: Continental breakfast available daily

CON: Costco muffins available daily in the small lobby/office. Juice was served and there was coffee and tea available as well as instant oatmeal. No real place to sit except for the lobby couches. No real place to put your food, except the lobby coffee table. Also, the only place the muffins were served was on my side of the street. All those guests staying on the hot tub/pool side of the street had to walk over to the lobby (in the rain) to get their muffins! And breakfast was not even available until 8a! Isn't it standard to have breakfast ready about 6a? Major disappointment!

PRO: Quiet residential neighborhood location. No real worries about crime or security.

CON: Though the doors had deadbolts, they could only be used from the inside. The room keys did not operate the deadbolts! I am from the city and we deadbolt our locks no matter what so this was a bit of a concern. There is not much you can do about it, but make sure that when you leave your room/cottage, you make sure that the doorknob lock is LOCKED!

PRO: Plenty of parking and its free!

CON: Small and cramped parking lot in my part of the property. Only one way in and the same way out. Really only made for one direction traffic. If you were heading out of the lot and needed to park for some reason, your only option was to pull a U-turn and parking facing in....in a VERY cramped lot. None of the parking spaces actually face the exiting direction.

Overall, I have to say that the Sea Breeze Inn and Cottages comes out average in my book. The positives are weighed down by the negatives, but they seem to balance out. I will most likely seek alternate accommodations next time I'm in town. There are better options out there with more attention to detail.

Room Tip: Look online for deals that can score you a cottage for the price of regular room. Beware those extra...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank TravelingFam22
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Though the rooms are a bit small (ours anyway)... for the price and location, this Inn is still a great deal. The place is very clean, and front desk is friendly and informative. The ocean is a mere 1/2 mile away, which was great because we like to run, walk and observe wild/sea life. The motel was also a few miles from Pebble Beach, Big Sur and Pointe Lobos (a must see). As we were in the area to visit the aquarium and other sights, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room. When we did, we found the accomodations to be just fine for 2 adults and 2 teens. If we are in the Monterey area again, I would certainly choose Sea Breeze over some of the larger hotel chains in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family