New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages

Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Santa Maria, California
“SURPRISE... NO HOT WATER”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

"Always try to be positive", my motto, and standpoint, but it was unacceptable for there to be no hot water to take a shower the day when we were leaving. Not feeling well, that morning, I found it to be around 11:00 am before I was able get going, and when I got into the shower, I had no idea that there would be NO hot water. I stood waiting for the temp to become warmer, but it NEVER happened. I had to bite the bullet and wash off in cold water, a miserable and torturous experience.
Also, being that the rest of the room was in such nice shape, it was very surprising that the carpet in jr lodge #317 is HORRIBLY STAINED, and dirty.
The lodge is nice in general, most of all the staff were pleasant and helpful, especially the room service attendants, cooks, and wait staff, but there were a few conditions of improvement that need to be brought to the attention of the lodge proprietors.

Room Tip: I was happy to have a room/cottage near the back, so that we weren't subjected to the noise of o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed in this hotel on July 17 in room 212. Unfortunately, i got there at 11pm, otherwise I would have looked for another hotel. Carpet it being used as waterproofing, paint drops all over the floor, the door had white paint brush streaks, the door grinds when open and I am not even in the door yet. Once inside, it is obvious pets are allowed, the carpet was filthy, furniture was beat up, sofas were smelly, cabinets were falling apart, light bulbs were out, vanity faucet was leaking, sink edge was moldy, pet hair was not cleaned, door were poorly patched. Bottom line, awful! If you want to sleep in your clothes, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Travelers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Please see my first review of the Lighthouse Lodge and Cottages to know exactly what I feel about the place. But, in summary, it's the best!

Just stayed here for the third time, two years since the second, and everything is just as great.

It should be noted the free BBQ I mentioned in my first review seems to no longer be offered.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LDN_2009
Fairfax, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We loved this place 2 years ago but were very disappointed this time. I was traveling with my two grandsons So I needed 2 doublebeds which are only available downstairs. At check-in, the room smelled like too much carpet deodorizer was sprayed. We opened the window and hoped it would clear out. We got back from dinner and realized that the deodorizer was there to mask the smell of mildew. On closer inspection, I noticed that the comforters and matching pillows were filthy. The pillows smelled like someone's sweaty head had been on it. I pulled the comforter and pillows off the bed and went to the office. I explained the situation and was given extra blankets and clean pillowcases. No apology for the poor condition of the room and no offer to move to a clean room.

There was also garbage by our door when we arrived and it was still there when we checked out in the morning. The sliding glass door was difficult to open and there was no screen to keep the bugs out. Also went to the pool for a quick swim and the water in the hot tub was green.

the next morning I went to the office to check out and again, explained the situation to the women behind the desk. As I was speaking someone tapped me on the shoulder and told me that he had the same exact problem the night before and was moved to a new room. My guess is that we ended up in the room he had left. Again, the staff showed absolutely no concern for the condition of the room and didn't offer any sort of apology.

I am really disappointed that this motel has changed so much. I don't expect to return with my family anytime soon.

Room Tip: don't stay in room 127!
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank MHeff
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Pacific Grove is beautiful and the Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages are right there near the tip of Pacific Grove. You can take a 1 1/2 mile walk around to the ocean, pass the Point Pinos Lighthouse, pass the cemetery where you will see deer much of the time, pass the Pacific Grove Golf Links, on to the gorgeous rock formations and crashing waves, pass NOAA, having seen birds and sea life.
This facility has the less expensive Lodge properties that allows dogs and the cottages across the street. The "Residence" on the cottage side slept 5 comfortably (3 bathrooms) and was the home base for our family of 43 to gather for cocktails and a dinner barbecue. The Cypress Dining Room was great for breakfasts, afternoon wine receptions and a catered dinner for one of our evenings.
The staff is hard working and attentive.
The rooms are quiet for sleeping.
Yes, the rooms could use a little TLC, but for a family gathering it had everything we needed for a fun family reunion.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We booked two nights but after reading reviews that it was ON a cemetary changed our reservation. Military traveled all over US. We visited the lighthouse across the street from the hotel and gasped when we saw the condition of the property. It was old and literally on the grounds of the cemetary, doors opened onto it. Main hotel exterior was in disrepair and cottages across the street looked nice. Cottages seem newer. This hotel is the typical low end property that appears run down, but the cottages are in an excellent location closer to the water. Walking distance to shops and water and lighthouse but also cemetary. We have a dog but family watched her. This hotel takes multiple dogs staying in rooms...uh no. I love my pets but wet dogs back from the surf, no thank you. Bedding appeared old, fixtures very old. ?? A/C in hotel units. Buyer beware, but great location. Great pizza rest. as drive out of Pacific Grove! Restaurants in town expensive as expected. $6 pbj, so drive outside town. Stayed in Salsilito indoor pool and commuted 30 mins.

Room Tip: None all appeared run down from outside. Hotel roof in disrepair and entrance knocked down.
      Rooms
1 Thank Angela M
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Pacific Grove offers many wonderful amenities, such as oceanside walks, excellent restaurants, golf, proximity to Monterey Aquarium, beaches, Highway 1 drives, etc. This property is an affordable option in an area that can be expensive. The location is within very easy walking distance of the spectacular shoreline and the charming PG downtown. Rooms are somewhat dated but clean and larger than most newer facilities. In summary, location is excellent, hotel is fine for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor room (high ceiling) away from Lighthouse Ave and overlooking neat old cemetery...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Butterfly Grove Inn
Butterfly Grove Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
4.0 of 5 stars 383 reviews

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!