“family reunion”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Burbank, California
“family reunion”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed with 12 of our family for a grad/reunion celebration and had such a wonderful time. The rooms were clean and the deluxe king had table and sofas for all of us to sit. The staff provided x-tra chairs and were friendly and helpful. While the lodge is older, it has a warm, comfy ambiance and it was nice to have a warm breakfast each morning. The afternoon barbeque was simple but tasty and was a nice offering. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Deluxe king and lodge suites are definitely nicer for space and amenities with two fireplaces and ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Their reservation web page doesn't work. It didn't work last week when I tried to use it. Judging from the reviews about the lack of consistency and the lack of maintenance in some general areas, maybe it's a sign for me to stay someplace else.

Stayed June 2013
2 Thank SLScott52

Travelers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at the cottages 12 years ago and loved it so I took my Mom for a special get-a-way thinking that we would have the same wonderful experience. I honestly don't think they've done ANY updating in the entire12 years. The wall behind the toilet was rotted out and we could actually see daylight coming in. The baseboards in the bathroom were the same way. Our first cottage had a big hole in the top of the dresser and a broken drawer that wouldn't close more than halfway. We decided to make the best of it. We unpacked and went out for lunch. When we got back there were ants all over the kitchen area. I called the front desk and the manager told me that he would try to find me another cottage because they would have to spray and it couldn't be occupied after that for a day or so. The maintenance man helped us move to the other cottage in the rain. As he was still in the process of helping us a big black bug (possibly a cockroach) ran across the bathroom floor. I smashed it and called the front desk. The manager acted very put out and sarcastically asked if I needed someone to come and smash it for me. I told him that since I was paying $169 per night for a room I would like one without other tenants already residing there (BUGS!). He acted very put out, but eventually found us another cottage. It had the same kind of rotting along the baseboards even though it was in a completely different building...which leads me to believe that they don't do much, if any, upkeep. After we were finally moved in and exhausted from traveling all day and then moving, we thought we had finally gotten a bug free room. Nope. Mom felt tickling when she was in the bed, but hoped that it was her imagination.In the morning we saw what looked like little black pieces of lint except that when she picked it up and squeezed it, it popped. I started getting ready in the bathroom when I felt something skitter across my toes. Yup, you guessed it...another bug. When we checked out I felt that there should be some kind of discount because of all of our troubles. They were very surly and unfriendly and gave me the runaround as to whether the manager was there or not. I tried coming back two more times since one of the girls finally let it slip that he was on premises doing room checks. The third time that I was in there I could see him in the office in back, but he wouldn't come out and speak to me. I was very polite and non-threatening. I told them that I had pictures if he wanted to see them. She went in the back and he finally agreed to a very small discount. I explained to her that I wasn't satisfied and she said that was all that they could do. Needless to say, I will NEVER go back nor will I recommend them to anyone! I wish someone had warned me about the dirty rugs, bugs and rotting baseboards before I showed up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Lori S
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked this place on spur of the moment and didn't arrive till 2am. The check in staff was friendly and helpful and still very cheery for how late it was.
Stayed in a small room with 2 double beds. It was clean and up to date. The walls are a bit thin and I could hear the people above us walking around but nothing that kept me up. We had a room that went right out to a park and walking trail. Wish I had brought my running shoes! The kids got up and went right outside to play around and climb trees. We will stay here again for sure. The value was excellent especially for a Saturday night. The breakfast in the morning was good...iatmeal, eggs, toast, fruit, potatoes, and raisin bran.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Kandicehanes
LHLCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
We are so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time!!! A morning run in this area is so wonderful as you are sure to come across some of the local deer families that we have roaming around. And right now we have alot of new baby deer that have been added to the family. Hopefully we will see you back again soon!!!
Concord
Reviewed May 31, 2013

my husband and I just spent 2 nights her for our 10th anniversary.I loved the jetted tub in cottage room,I also loved the bed/bedding/pillows it's like sleeping in a cloud.we really enjoyed the yummy free breakfast in the morning.only negative about our room had a view of a cemetery from patio.
I would definitely come back and recommend coming here...but if you are looking or a place with beach views of any kind don't come here.

Room Tip: get cottages ranging in the 320's.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 735SharonS
LHLCManager, Public Relations Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
First off, Happy Anniversary!! We are glad you ejoyed your cottage room!! Also a great tip on the ocean views. On the lodge property only have a few rooms that offer a very small peak of the ocean through the trees. On the cottage side, there are a few rooms that offer a bit more of a glimpse of the ocean, and if the windows are open on a warm evening you can hear the crashing waves. But unfortunatly we are not close enough to the ocea to have ocean front views.
Redlands, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We've stayed here before, and liked it, but this time we were stuck with one of the older lodge rooms. The room wasn't dirty, but everything in it was just kind of run down & tired, and the room looked on the street so it was noisy in the morning.

Wont' stay here again unless we get one of the cottage rooms. Breakfast was average continental, didn't see any cooked-to-order others have mentioned.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank madmike211
Thank you for your review. As you have noted, our Lodge rooms have yet to be updated. Our cottage rooms are preferable to most of our guests who would like more of an upscale stay and plan to spend time in their rooms. Our lodge rooms are great for one night stays or families who plan on spending most of their time out of the room exploring the area. We hope to see you back on our cottage property soon, or that you will come and stay in our lodge rooms once they are rennovated.
Milpitas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed with my son. Bottom line we loved it there. Pros: Each room has a patio or balcony. There's enough parking for the rooms they have. The room was large and had a fireplace. Skylight in the bathroom was a nice touch. It's within walking distance from the Pacific Grove Golf course - which is one of my favorite courses (a poor man's Pebble Beach on the back 9). It's also within walking distance to the beach. My son loved climbing on the rocks. The bed was not overly firm and not run down - very much to my liking. Mini fridge is larger than the cubes you sometimes get and kept our stuff nice and cold.

Cons: Our fireplace didn't work. Man from the desk came and lit the pilot and it worked for a while but went out again. (bad thermostat?) The place, while clean and well maintained is old. There's a hint of that that hits your nose as you walk in. TV is old skool CRT but adequate.

It's within a few blocks of many restaurants and coffee shops in Pacific Grove. You should have no trouble finding food without having to resort to driving into the crowds at Monterey.

The wifi is free and was fast enough to stream Netflix (perhaps not at the highest quality) speedof.me clocked it at right around 1 mb/s. Certainly fast enough to use yelp or google.

The free breakfast was very basic but good quality. They offered (real) scrambled eggs, toast, oatmeal and raisin bran. With juice, coffee, milk and water to drink. The dining room was small but adequate. The swimming pool looked small, but we never tried it out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!