“We had a comfortable stay and inexpensive. If you don't care about an ideal hotel experience then this place is fine.”

Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed in a room that looked like it hadn't been remodeled since the 80s. It was generally pretty clean but looked as if it was a converted senior home. The pillow top mattress was very comfortable and we slept well, but the comforter was old and had some stains. The staff didn't do a thorough job cleaning behind our mattress at the headboard. The overall maintenance of the grounds needed some work...sticking doors, door jambs in disrepair. .The exterior had several maintenance issues including a door that was so water logged it had completely deteriorated on the bottom, delapedated, non-functioning landscape lighting and a large concrete bag that had been left outside our room which became part of the interesting landscape design. The pool was very small, but the barbeque was nice. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Korean first
Weimar
Reviewed August 26, 2011

After being released from the hospital only 18 hours prior to my arrival to Lighthouse Lodges and Suites in Pacific Grove, California, my daughter and I were looking forward to celebrating my 65th birthday. Wrong! Please be aware that outside the delapidated patio door to the west in room 121, there is a graveyard. There is an old section with graves from the 1800's across a small driveway, but the newer section with freshly occupied graves are about 25' away. This surely may both some folks... namely my husband and son-in-law. Fortunately for the office staff at this facility, the husbands were not present. We spoke to the desk clerk who has been on the job all of 3 months. He wouldn't answer as to how many folks report being bothered by this unknown fact when we made our reservations. I requested a refund for two reasons: I was not informed about the graveyard outside my room and the fact that the room was really in poor shape. I lived in Pacific Grove and Monterey for many years, and yes, I know how the moist ocean air causes extra upkeep/ maintenance, but this place needs to be bulldozed, especially the units next to the cemetery (west wing). The mold on the windows was gross as it grew down onto the sill. The plaster was crumbling in all window corners, closet door jamb, etc. The inside and outside doors were in such bad shape that I needed to turn the key with one hand, hold the knob with the other and hit the door with my hip to get it open. Every door on the west wing were old wood that had mostly likely been preserved a hundred years ago, but were now peeling off the veneer. The only good part was that the bed was clean, but sagging so much on one side I had to sleep crosswise to preserve my back. I was refused a refund and just offered another room... no mention of an upgrade to some suites I never saw. I called Expedia to ask for help as my daughter thought she may need to sleep in the car. So much for my 65th birthday relaxing trip. Expedia talked to the desk clerk; the manager would not even come to the lobby to talk to me nor would he take a call from Expedia. The clerk told Expedia I had refused an upgrade to a suite. Remember, this was not offered to me. He lied. Lighthouse Lodge held their ground and didn't offer any refund, even for one night, (which I would gladly have accepted), nor any other compromise. This is only the second time in my 65 years and lots of traveling that I have had to complain about a room and this Lodge would not release my obligation for even one day. Their loss! I will tell every traveler I know about this experience and will never return to the Pacific Grove Lighthouse Lodge and Suites on Lighthouse Ave.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jkellyreid
LHLSGM, General Manager at Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
The historic El Carmelo Cemetery has been part of Pacific Groves history since 1800's. Our most requested rooms from our repeat guests are the rooms that overlook the open space and herd of Mule Deer that inhabit the space between the Pacific Grove Golf Links and our property.

This guest was given the option of changing the location of the their room , but declined the offer to move. The move declined by the guest shortly after arrival would have been to our Suites buildings located across the street from the cemetery, which would have been an upgrade. We were unaware of any issue after the move was declined until checkout two days later when a comp room was demanded by the guest, which was declined.

Travelers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I was concerned that having booked and paid through a third party, we might get the cold shoulder. We were treated very warmly and professionally at check in. The breakfast the next morning was oatmeal, toast, eggs and juices, complimentary for guests. The room was not the cleanest and the in room fridge made loud noises all night, preventing me from getting any sleep. The worst part was the shower, which ran ice-cold when I had just lathered my hair. It did not get warm again. Also there was a leak above me, presumably from the shower in the room upstairs. I rinsed as well as I could and got out of there, thinking the ceiling would collapse. This was in the Pelican building, maybe where they put guests who book through third parties?

We will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank SFJeweler
The property was just purchased in mid-August and a number of maintenance issues have been identified and prioritized for repair. The water pressure to the property was much higher than normal and we are replacing the pressure regulator valves this week that will eliminate the problems encountered.
Wyoming
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here one night while passing through the area on the strong recommendation of friends who have pretty high lodging standards. They always stay in the suites, we did not. We had a reservation for a queen room but on checking it out the room turned out to be a bit stuffy and backing onto a main road. When I asked the front desk clerk if there was anything available in one of the other buildings he moved us and upgraded our room at no extra charge. The room overlooked a cemetery so there was no problem with noisy neighbors there. The room itself was clean but maintenance seemed to be lacking. The door was pretty battered, there were some dark corners on the bathroom floor I didn't want to investigate to closely, and the caulking wasn't in great shape. A couple of the units had tarps on the roofs suggesting they leaked. There was an afternoon BBQ which we didn't attend and breakfast was oatmeal or eggs. So I have mixed feeling about the Lighthouse and can't recommend it without reservation. I suspect the suites would be the only way to go.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
#7 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Butterfly Grove Inn
Butterfly Grove Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!