Dimitri found our accommodations at the Howard Johnson Pacific Grove by searching the web (660 Dennett St., Pacific Grove, CA 93950, tel. (831) 373-8777, e-mail: email@example.com, www.montereyhojo.net). When he saw the pictures of the Howard Johnson property in Pacific Grove, he knew he had found something special. The rate of $130 per night (special rate for 3 or more days) could not be beat--we stayed for 10. Before we arrived, on our way into Pacific Grove, we stopped at two potential rentals. They were expensive and very down-market. The Howard Johnson property in Pacific Grove was nestled in a residential area among thick trees. It felt like the country; indeed there were lots of deer roving the area.
Our room, 120, had two levels. The bedroom, with a chest of drawers (and mini bar) and fireplace, was three steps down from the living room. Its ceiling was cathedral-like and had a ceiling fan. The living room had a sofa, coffee table and flat screen TV on top of a cabinet with storage. At the other end of the unit was a large kitchen with a table and chairs and the closet and bathroom. The kitchen had a stove top, full-sized refrigerator, a coffee maker, a sink (with a disposal) and lots of counter space and cabinets. There wasn’t much if any kitchen equipment but we asked for a toaster and stuff and we got some things--enough to make eggs for breakfasts. There was a deck running the length of the unit. It was newly renovated and we liked the way it was done. The complex was once townhomes and there is a comfortable, homey feel to the unit. The light was good enough and so was the heat. The breakfast (included) was good enough too. There were oranges and apples in addition to the standard complimentary breakfast fare.
On our first morning, we were the only ones in the breakfast room. It was quite cool and cloudy in the morning. Our second morning in our unit Audre made breakfast. We had eggs, baguette from Trader Joe’s and croissant from Patisserie Bechler. The sourdough baguette and mini croissant were very good. It was nice having a kitchen after 2 weeks without one.
Outside our unit, beyond our deck were trees and a dirt path that led to the Ocean View Road and the beach. On our first afternoon we biked the path behind our unit to the road and then turned right to follow the coast to Monterey and Cannery Row. By the time we got back, we had biked 7 miles and had had a wonderful ride—right from the unit.
There was much construction going on at the Howard Johnson. Out of the 40 units, 7 were left still to be renovated when we were there. It was not noisy inside our unit, however. On Thursday, more guests arrived and we were told that on the weekend, it would be fully booked. Evidently, the contract with Howard Johnson is being replaced with a contract with Best Western in June. We were happy to stay at the Howard Johnson/Best Western for 10 days even though there were annoyances. For instance, the Internet speed was slow and the connection was unreliable (until a workman came and repaired the system--then it was very good). Also the pipes in the shower “sang” (actually screamed). The thermostat was difficult to control. It would be set at a hair under 70° before we went to bed. At 5 a.m., it would be 65° so Audre would move the control up just a hair. At 7 a.m. it would be 75°. Go figure.
All in all we were happy with our accommodations on the Monterey Peninsula.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Peaceful and relaxing, the BEST WESTERN The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove offers spacious townhouse-style accommodations in a quiet neighborhood just minutes from the beach. Explore the incredible coastline from your cozy home, located right off 17-Mile Drive on the incredible Monterey Peninsula. The large guest rooms and suites with high ceilings are comfortable and convenient for discovering the area, and you will love the complimentary high-speed Internet access and deluxe continental breakfast served daily. The Monterey Bay Peninsula is one of the most beautiful slices of the coast of California, and the BEST WESTERN The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove provides the perfect home base from which to explore all of the area's attractions, from water activities to scenic hikes and wine tastings to whale watching. Nestled between pine and eucalyptus trees in a quiet residential neighborhood, this charming hotel is within walking distance to Asilomar State Beach and Asilomar Conference Grounds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Best Western, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn And Suites Monterey Pacific Grove Hotel Pacific Grove
- Howard Johnson Pacific Grove
- Pacific Grove Howard Johnson