“Great Clam Chowder”

Vivolo's Chowder House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Voted best clam chowder for many years! Enjoy fresh sustainable seafood at affordable prices. A local favorite and a must for visitors. Two blocks up from the Montetey Bay Aquarium. Family friendly with a children's menu. Enjoy local seafood, pasta, burgers, soups, salad and house made desserts!
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We're New Englanders stranded in California and we look for Eastern comfort wherever we can find it out here. We'd heard the clam chowder in Vivolo's was very good so we sought the place out. Vivolo's is located in a small retail area on Central Avenue in Pacific Grove. The restaurant is not very large but thee is comfortable space between the tables. The tables themselves are covered in white paper so if you are looking for linen, look elsewhere.

We both had the clam chowder (of the creamy white, New England variety) and it was very good. The clams were tender and I didn't chomp down on a single grain of sand in my bowl. My wife and the shrimp and chips and I had the fried seafood platter. Both menu items were properly prepared and the fries were delicious. The service was prompt and courteous and the prices were reasonable for the combination of good food and top-notch service.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

First, I have to agree with every one else that the clam chowder is fantastic. I just got a cup, but my husband and my mother got the chowder in the bread bowl which was delicious. The bread was fresh with a nice crispy crust. We had the calamari as an appetizer and it was plenty for four of us. I would have preferred more rings and fewer tentacles, but my son was thrilled with them. I had the Seafood Newburg which was delicious and came with fresh vegetables and rice (with a choice of pasta or potatoes instead). It was a generous meal and after the calamari and chowder I barely had room for the seafood. Fortunately, it was very fresh and nicely prepared so it wasn't too painful finish at least that much of the entree. My husband had the crab Louie, one of his favorites and he was quite impressed. It came with a lot of crab, avocado and a tasty Louie dressing (not Thousand Island). They have a small wine menu (by the glass or bottle) and a surprisingly large menu of beers on tap or in the bottle. They also have a small selection of homemade desserts which none of us had room to try. The prices weren't cheap, but they were average for the area. This is definitely a spot we'll visit again.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The lunch special was good, soup/salad/half-sandwich for a decent price. It has a nice atmosphere and a nice view of a canine social club across the street.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I'm not saying the rest of the menu items are bad. It's just that they have the best clam chowder there is in the San Francisco Bay Area, in my opinion. So needless to say, every time I'm in the area, I go there. Well, on my last visit they had a crab bisque on special and it was great. Today, we had their Boston Pan Roast (shrimp, scallops, oyster bisque). If you go there and don't have that soup, you'll be missing an orgasmic experience. I'm not saying don't have anything else; I'm sure its great.

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Overall my family enjoyed the chowder house. The restaurant is small but cozy. The staff were friendly. Our service was a little slow but they were very busy.
The prices are reasonable.

We were there just for clam chowder. The bowl is pretty large and freshly made. It was a little thin but had a good flavor. The bread was really good. Hot and fresh!

The chowder house is just off the main cannery row area. We got lucky with a close parking spot.