“Mmmm, really good chowder!”

Vivolo's Chowder House
Ranked #12 of 79 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Voted best clam chowder for many years! Enjoy fresh sustainable seafood at affordable prices. A local favorite and a must for visitors. Two blocks up from the Montetey Bay Aquarium. Family friendly with a children's menu. Enjoy local seafood, pasta, burgers, soups, salad and house made desserts!
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We found Vivolo's Chowder House on our first night in Monterey Bay. This is a small restaurant and we had no reservations but they were able to seat our party of 7 fairly quickly.

I ordered one of the specials - the Mexican sea bass with lemon butter sauce - as well as cup of chowder. The entree was generous and the fish was fresh. I probably didn't do it justice, though, since I was totally enamored with the chowder and crusty bread. I could have eaten just chowder, bread and salad and been very content.

My husband had the smoked salmon ravioli with a basil and shrimp cream sauce. This was also a generous bowl. One minute it was full, the next...well, he thoroughly enjoyed his meal.

We were pleased with the kids meal too. Even though we only ordered one entree (grilled cheese) to split between the two, it was more than enough for each of them. They were given their own plates with huge sandwich halves and fries.

I thought the prices were reasonable compared to other seafood restaurants in the area, and while Vivolo's was close to the Aquarium it seemed to be away from the really touristy stuff. The atmosphere was definitely casual and laid back.

1  Thank Mailmanorama

Reviewed June 28, 2013

On a Saturday afternoon after a nice walk along Cannery Row or a visit to the Aquarium, this is a great place to have a bite to eat. We had the chowder in the bread bowl with the cheese lid (OMG, can you say decadent?) and the fish and chips. Yep, more than we could eat and we enjoyed every bite. Yum!

1  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed June 24, 2013

So my wife and I for our anniversary decide on Vivolo's based on their yelp reviews. We arrive at the door and wait a few minutes to be seated, should've been a sign as the place is 3/4 empty. We browse the menus and again wait 4 or 5 minutes to be asked for drinks. The writing was on the wall and we ordered instantly, she ordered a calamari appetizer and for her entree she had the seafood newburg , I went with the fettuccini alfredo with chicken. 20 minutes later it comes out and our waiter brought the meal to the table and couldn't wait to get back to hanging out in the back before I asked if bread came with my meal. He muttered yes and was off. By this time there were 4 of us in the restaurant and my wife took a bite of her shrimp which had half of its shell on it and her potatoes were burned to a crisp. My fettuccini alfredo had a massive amount of garlic in it as well as ground up broccoli. We flagged down the waiter and told him of our problems, that we were paying for our drinks and calamari, and he grabbed the plates and disappeared. We left a 20 on the table and headed directly across the street to Carl's Jr to try and erase the bad taste from Vivolo's. From all the positive reviews, you'd think this place was a goldmine. We left thoroughly disappointed and unimpressed.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We walked to Vivolo's Chowder House from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It was early and we were the only ones in the restaurant. Our server didn't have much personality, but he did his job. We each had a bowl of chowder. ORDER THE CHOWDER! Enough said . . . Seriously.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Best chowder walking distance from aquarium. Escape the crowds for a quiet lunch, then return with everyone in good spirits. Not in the cannery row tourist area but walk back up David Street and turn right at Carl's jr. It's across the street from Carl's, about half a block down....