“Nicest B&B we've stayed at.”

The Old St. Angela Inn
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We recently returned from an excellent three-night stay at the Old St. Angela Inn -- it probably ranks as the all-around best B&B that we have ever stayed at. The food was excellent. Each morning we could feast on a really nice spread of fruit, yogurt and muffins before Nancy and her crew brought out the hot portion of the breakfast, which was always great. In addition, though, they put out a really nice wine and cheese spread every afternoon, with cookies available anytime. In the past, when B&Bs have offered the afternoon wine and cheese, we haven't necessarily gone, because we didn't want to spend too much time at the B&B itself. It was different at Old St. Angela's, both because it is such a short walking distance to the acquarium and other Monterey attractions that we could get to and from relatively quickly, but also because the common space was just so comfortable and easy to hang out in. In fact, each night after we got back to the B&B, we spend about an hour reading and drinking tea in the breakfast room and/or living room. As for the room itself, we stayed in the Land's End. It was one of the smaller rooms in the B&B, but it was perfectly comfortable for two. Overall, we had a great experience, and would stay there in a minute if we return to the Monterey/Pacific Grove area again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed for two nights and celebrated our wedding anniversary at this B&B. The "Otter Cove" room was clean and cute inside but a little small. The room didn't have a chair, only a window seat that was small and awkward. The owners were so kind and the breakfasts were delicious.
The owner made dinner reservations for us at the Chart House and we received VIP treatment with a table overlooking the bay and they treated us to dessert.
We will return but get a larger room. This B&B is one block from the beach and a short walk to Cannery Row.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank riphath
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights in my 1st visit to Monterey Peninsula to celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary.

Pros:
1) Location: I decided for Pacific Grove and it was a great option cause,
a) 1 block from the sea,
b) 10 min walk to Monterey,
c) 5 or 10 min drive to Carmel,
d) Really feel in a small city/neighborhood.

2) Room: stay at Newport, beautiful!!! with jacuzzi

3) Breakfast: lot of fruits, they also prepared a homemade waffles/pancakes different everyday and they were really delicious.

4) The B&B it's beautiful, all the great little details, the garden, the solarium, the living room it was really romantic.

5) Parking: at the street it was not a problem.

6) Rate: great price, lower than other B&B probably because they are not in front of the beach, but common you are 1 block from it and the pros for this B&B were more important in my decision (right decision!!!).

7) Owners: they keep the distance (IMO that's great other TA members disagree just points of view), since we arrived they offered us advice. They were really helpful and kindly.

It's not important for me but maybe it'll be for others to know that as a B&B some rooms are not so big as an hotel (they are really well described in their site) and sometimes because of thin walls or old buildings there are more noises (people walking in the upper room or shower sounds) than in a Hotel but in other way you have a great of lot things that you don't have in a hotel, specially staying in a warm and cozy place.

No doubts if I return to Monterey Peninsula this would be my 1st lodge option, other great decision thanks to TA advice!!!

Room Tip: Lot of options, some sea view rooms, 1st or 2nd floor, some jacuzzy baths, rooms with private entran...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MG2006
Reviewed April 24, 2012

What a lovely inn. We rented 2 rooms at The Old St. Angela Inn in Pacific Grove while on vacation with our 2 teen daughters. They were in the Nantucket Room and we were next door in the Newport Room - on the main floor, near the breakfast room and living room. So cute, so quaint, just lovely. We enjoyed our evening wine and appetizers chatting with the other guests, and breakfast was delicious and filling. We will definitely return and hope our friends will, too. Just the perfect spot.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KMoor
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Clean, quaint., but left w/ a bad taste in my mouth. Upon entering breakfast room, we were informed by kitchen staff that they were serving a fried croissant entree. I quietly requested 2 eggs instead. What the staff prepared was delicious. Then while sitting enjoying my eggs the lady innkeeper swiftly walked over, stood beside me, bent down nose-to-nose, and chided me for having requested something other thanthe entree, because doing so (her words) “messes them all up in the kitchen.” She did same w/ a guest at adjacent table, also while that guest was eating eggs they'd requested. A person’s metabolic/digestive needs/limitations is a personal issue, not something to point out and embarrass.
I found the incident unpleasant, wolfed down the rest, grabbed my day bag and left for the day quick as I could. The skilled kitchen staff handled the egg order great – throughout, I found them friendlier than the innkeepers, more genuine, sincere eye contact, more patient/pleasant tone of voice.
Although I don’t let one bad apple spoil all, THIS is what I recall from my stay. If innkeepers’ warmth, smiles and tact aren’t your priority, this B&B meets your needs.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank 664Traveler49
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Old St Angela Inn and it was such a treat. I read in some of the reviews that some of the rooms overlooked Central Street with the traffic noise so I booked Lands End and it was very quiet, looking onto the beautiful small gem of a garden that the owners have made. When we arrived Diana was friendly but unobtrusive, which we appreciated. The afternoon snacks were very nice and gave me a chance to chat with some of the other guests. Breakfast was scrumptious and the breakfast room was cozy and sunny, with a view to the garden.

The room was cozy, private, and nicely appointed. We slept really well.

The inn is just a block from the oceanfront walk, and it took only a few short minutes to walk to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cannery Row, so no need to worry about parking.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out onto the garden are quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We recently staye two nights in the Cape Cod room and had a lovely time. The Inn is very charming with a lovely garden where we sat to enjoy the evening appetizers. Breakfast is served in a sunny solarium - it was delicious with fresh baked pastries and a main dish and fresh fruit. The owner, Diane, could not be more accommodating. The Inn is only a block up from the ocean, which can be seen from the inn. Our only complaint was our room which was on the front of the house with a window (the only one in the room) opening on to the street. The room was warm, so the window needed to be open which lead to a noisy night. We are returning soon, but have reserved a different room.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise at night, don't pick the Cape Cod.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Martine Inn
Martine Inn
#2 of 8 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to The Old St. Angela Inn? Share your experiences!