“Not quite 4 dots, but close”
Review of Olympia Lodge

Olympia Lodge
Sacramento, California
“Not quite 4 dots, but close”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've been coming here for 30+ years. You can't beat the location & the comfortable size of the rooms. It's quiet & within walking distance of the beach paths, and (if you're up to it) restaurants. However, the bathrooms are definitely dated and very, very small. The shower heads' water misers make it a challenge to rinse your body, not to mention get shampoo out of your hair.

Yes, the place is old, and can smell stuffy when you first get into your room. But you're near the ocean, so just open up the sliders & air out the room. We have always found the staff to be friendly and accommodating.

The continental breakfast is more than adequate. 2 cereals, teas, coffee, yogurt, fruit, rolls, bagels, donuts, etc., vary from day to day.

And if you're unhappy because the TV is small (which it will be), then stay home. Pacific Grove is a getaway.

Room Tip: Higher rooms with balconies can give you a peek of the ocean through the trees.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Nickie B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Anaheim, California
Reviewed March 29, 2013

As another commenter expressed the front desk makes it clear that they are sold out and there will be no possible way to change rooms..This would have been fine if we got the room we paid for in advance but got stuck in a cramped room with two beds for just my boyfriend and I. Called the front desk to ask why we had been placed in this room and he proceeded to tell me that after I made our reservation people paid more to upgrade pushing us down to the bottom of the list without even knowing... Thanks Olympia Lodge I am so happy I get to spend my Christmas gift in a cramped room with no balcony no view and not even a courtesy call to say we could of upgraded before you sold all the rooms to "higher bidders" ... Poor hospitality.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Kelli G

Travelers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

SDFunSun
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very friendly staff who were quite upbeat and helpful. Nice room, not too small, not too big, just right for two singles traveling together. Some gripe about the "sliding door" entrances but I found it different and not a problem; gave a lot more light into the room if wanted.

We got there a bit early and room wasn't ready so they allowed us and some other friends who were staying at another hotel to convene in their small lounge area an share some wine and beer we had brought with us; no problem.

Nice selection of muffins and bagels for a morning snack.

All in all, quite nice and reasonable for Pacific Grove.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, CA
Reviewed February 11, 2013

You can hardly get closer to some very nice attractions in Pacific Grove. We came here using a Groupon rate, so of course the price was amazing.

The staff is very nice. The rooms are simple but very clean and well maintained. Don't come here for the view. Come here for the quiet and access to whatever you want to do in Pacific Grove - the ocean, butterfly garden, etc.

Room Tip: Get your discount coupon for An Choi restaurant next door.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CalifTravelerOne
usa
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hotel is old and musty. If you have any allergies or breathing issues stay away. We stayed one night and when we got home our clothes smelled musty. I woke up with breathing issues due to the mold in the room. I think 3 star rating is wrong. I gave it a two star because the room was clean and staff friendly. But what a health hazard.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Budalinek
Novato, California
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. The room was very nicely decorated and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing that could use improvement, would be to update the T.V.'s.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We just returned form a 2 night stay (Jan 18-20) at The Olympia Lodge using a Groupon Voucher ($119 for 2 nights). We were in room 212, vaulted ceilings, 2 Queen Beds, armoire 2 chairs & ottomans, a closet and small bathroom. We arrived a little after 5PM and entered the room via a sliding glass door, which as others have said is a bit strange. Immediately we were hit with sauna like heat, someone apparently left the radiant baseboard heat on. It was so hot we couldn't stay in the room as my family and I broke out in a sweat. We contacted the front desk and they said said, just leave the door open to air it out, it should be OK within the hour. Sure, but how can we leave and lock up when the only access is a sliding glass door? Answer is, you can't. We waited the hour or so and it got a bit cooler but not tremendously.
While stripping off our clothes waiting to cool down, we surveyed the room and notices a few very noticeable flaws. (Please see the photos). The first was the closet, missing a handle and while they were on track they were only on a top track, which left them swinging if you touched them.
The second was the shower head, I'm 6'3" tall and the shower head was at my shoulder, I had to do the limbo to wash my hair.
Third was the bottle cap next to the armoire, no explanation needed.
Last but not least was the bed, the picture is exactly as we found it. The pillows compress so much they shouldn't bother putting them on the rather hard bed. My back & neck are certainly paying the price of $64.50/night.

We did not take advantage of the Continental Breakfast, so I can't comment on the deliciousness of the offerings.

The location is good. The woman at the front desk was very pleasant. The sunsets at the beach are beautiful.

Is it worth the Voucher Prices? Probably, but as the old adage goes, You get what you pay for.

Would I stay here again? No.

As to why we did not complain to the front desk about all the issues, it was made clear to us as we checked in that they were completely booked for the weekend and felt it would have been a futile request to change rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Bide-A-Wee-Inn & Cottages
Bide-A-Wee-Inn & Cottages
#1 of 4 in Pacific Grove

Been to Olympia Lodge? Share your experiences!