“What a find!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Olympia Lodge
Penzance, United Kingdom
“What a find!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

We booked the Olympia Lodge as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive accommodations in Monterey and having now spent 2 weeks there, would not stay anywhere else. We paid for the King Ocean view room and were not disappointed. The balcony looked out to the ocean and the king size bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever had away from home. All the rooms have been refurbished and offer contemporary and stylish accommodation. The bathroom suite and decoration was tired but spotlessly clean. The reception staff could not have been more helpful and the guest lounge and complimentary breakfast was faultless. The lodge gets busy at weekends and may be less peaceful in a higher season, but for us was a lovely home from home which I would return to every year.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, pay for an ocean view
1 Thank suem1492

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Mountain View,CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

I prepaid for my room on http://hotels.com. We arrived at 3pm, the advertised check-in time and were told that our room wasn't ready yet (the people in line ahead of us were told the same thing). As we were standing there, another employee rushes into the office and curses right in front of all these guests. I ask politely if I can have a late checkout time because I was running in a race the next day and just wanted to shower before heading home. I got a flat out "No." I replied, "you are telling us that our room isn't ready and yet we cannot have a late checkout time?" She says, "The reason your room isn't ready is because everyone wants a late checkout". I am still trying to figure out how that is MY problem. We have to leave and come back later to check-in, she says "I will take your number and call you when your room is ready." We never received a phone call. We came back at 4:30 and it was finally ready.
The room was clean and basic, pretty comfortable, although you could hear people walking around above you, The power went out in the middle of the night (thank god I had an alarm on my phone because there were no batteries in the alarm clock) and I got ready for my race at 4:00 in the morning in the pitch black. I had to stumble around in the dark to find the key drop (remember, NO late checkout). One of the most Unaccommodating places I have ever stayed. If I could say ONE positive thing about our stay here is that it's in a good location, very close to the beach and also the downtown area. However, there are many places to choose from and I would not recommend this place to anyone.

2 Thank jellybeanrn

Travelers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

Merced,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

My wife and I celebrated her birthday with a relaxing weekend on the Monterey Peninsula over the first few days of April. The Olympia lodge is set within walking distance of the shore of Monterey Bay in the forested area near the pacific Grove Golf Links. Very quet. Excellent staff. Light, airy room. Few frills, but very clean and well appointed. Enjoyed the continental breakfast each morning in the cozy lobby. My wife and I have stayed at 10 - 15 properties in this area over many years. We plan on making th Olympia Lodge our preferred location.

Ed and Susan Hampton

Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

We traveled to Pacific Grove on Friday for a wedding on Saturday. The day was beautiful, weather great, and after a long drive we were ready to check into the hotel and relax. Instead of checking into a low rated inexpensive lodge we opt for mid price $110 per night The Olympia Lodge due to the recent upgrades and reviews. Well our experience was different. We checked in, everything went well, the lady at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. We booked a standard 2 queen room. We got to the room, it was clean (warm cause lodge has no AC, which was ok) great location, ocean partial ocean views and spacious. I attempted to turn on the TV, and to no avail it did not work. I tried calling the front desk for assistance, no answer. I walked down to the office and the lady that checked us in, came up to the room to try to help fix the tv, no luck. We were moved to another room. We unpacked again, and decided to leave for dinner. When we tried to lock the door to secure the room and leave for dinner, the door went shut all the way and lock. The patient front desk lady came to the room and attempted to fix the door, no luck. SO we were moved a third time, this time with an "upgrade" ocean view...so we packed and unpacked the third time and the manager approved a 5% discount (which puzzled me, because for the month of march the hotel's website features an advertisement...$69 rate). Anyhow, we checked into our third room of the same hotel within the first hour and were finally able to leave and get dinner and digress. Upon returning from dinner and visiting with friends arriving to town for the wedding the next day we discovered the television was only visible in "black and white picture". I had given up! I made sure my concern was heard but refused to change rooms at that hour and contemplated checking out and going to a local chain hotel in Monterey. The manger got my message and left us a voice mail indicating she was going to give us the rate of $69 per night and that was the best she could do. The lady at the front desk was very apologetic but in the end we settled with the $69 rate, broken tv, 3 room changes, and it simply dampened the trip. I truly did not get to enjoy the lodge or my room. In the end, I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sweetld20
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

I have heard great things about this lodge so every time I am planning a trip to Pacific Grove I try to stay at this hotel. I need a handicap accessible room and for the past two years I have been trying to book a room and they say their handicap rooms are "under renovation". My friends have also had the same problem. I think that this is a lie and that they don't have any handicap accessible rooms which is against the law. I'm looking up online how to report this.

• Stayed February 2011
Durango, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Don't know why this is listed under specialty lodging it's a motel. The pros and cons-
Location- near the beach but little else in walking distance.
Breakfast- nice that it's included, but the office doesn't open until after 8am- very inconvenient so wasn't able rate (or eat) it.
Room location- although the hotel was nearly empty we were given a room overlooking the parking lot from the balcony and the storage area for a restaurant on the side. Very noisy, so poor nights sleep.
Room- nice decor. Went to shower at 8:30- unfortunately the shower door (glass) was jammed closed and the office was closed (again) as well. My husband was able to jimmy the door open enough to squeeze in.
Internet connection- Nice that's it's free but the signal doesn't reach all the rooms. At check in we specifically mentioned that internet access was critical as we had work to do. Gave up after an hour of trying to stay connected and stood in the parking lot with my computer.
Front desk staff less than helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank restlessbynature
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

We spent two nights at the Olympia and were very pleased. It is about a 3 block walk to the beautiful shoreline, through forest and we saw several deer along the way. We had an ocean view and balcony. As the lodge is among the trees, our second floor room felt like a treehouse. The rooms seem to have been remodeled quite well and the beds are comfortable. I checked the prices of several other motels in PG and Carmel and the Olympia's were very good in comparison. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#4 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Olympia Lodge? Share your experiences!