“Decent Mexican Food/Roaring Restaurant”

Peppers Mexicali Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Had dinner Sept. 14 at Peppers after a bracing walk along Oceanview Blvd. Our wait for a table was short (about 10 minutes). The restaurant was PACKED and loud. When seated our server came immediately and asked if we were ready to order....we told her no, we needed to look at the menu and asked for water. She brought it back within a couple of minutes and again asked if we were ready....same answer "no." Their menu is long and lots of choices...especially if you are a tourist and not a "regular." They seem very interested in turning tables quickly. When she returned a third time, again within minutes, in frustration, we ordered chicken fajatas to share and a combination platter of sauces (salsa fresca, guacamole, tomatia sauce and green chile sauce with chips). All of the sauces were authentic and fresh tasting...some a little spicy. Chips were fair (our local Mexican restaurant beats theirs hands down.) The fajatas were good..nothing special, but adequate in size to share. If you're looking for tasty FAST food...this may be the ticket. Definitely don't expect atmosphere or the ability to carry on a conversation during your meal. Tables were so packed and so close together, it seemed more like a loud cafeteria than a restaurant. We were unable to even hear each other in conversation during our meal. We were glad to "escape" to the quiet outdoors as quickly as possible...so maybe the "rush" was worth it. Peppers offers decent food, not great atmosphere or service, but an economical choice if visiting Pacific Grove.

Reviewed October 3, 2009

I Love Pepper's. This has been my favorite restaurant for 15 years. All their food is so fresh. They have a huge menu and a long list of nightly specials which change on a regular basis. They are very flexible with dietary restrictions. Most of the staff has been there for years, and I love that everyone knows my order (I always have the guacamole salad, yum!) Chips and salsa come with the meal, and since obtaining a full liquor license, the margaritas are excellent. Dinner gets busy, so call ahead for a reservation. They are closed all day Tuesdays and open around 4pm on Sundays.

Reviewed September 6, 2009

We were recommended both Peppers and Zocalo - the latter always appeared closed when we wandered by, so we plumped for Peppers. Firstly I have to say that the restaurant always looks packed and indeed the atmosphere is really lively. My wife plumped for the swordfish fajitas - you could argue this is a waste of such an tasty, meaty fish - but as she has pointed out, if you consider the dish as expertly marinated fish served with grilled veggies, rice and beans you can't go far wrong. I went for the chicken mole enchiladas, since I'm a sucker for chocolate and chili. The dish was good, but I can't help but feel that the mole has been adapted for gringo taste buds... Small criticism aside, this is an excellent restaurant for that casual dining experience.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

Peppers is great, which is why it is so crowded most the time. Their fish dishes are superb. Ingredients are fresh. Service is friendly and the price is right.

Reviewed April 11, 2009

Peppers is located just off of Lighthouse Avenue in Pacific Grove. From the outside it looks like a tiny place, but once inside, boy does the place have a great atmosphere!! Came here for dinner and didn't have to wait too long for a table even though the it was a Saturday night and the place was completely packed! The restaurant is very nicely decorated in a very homegrown, authentic manner (do NOT mistake this to mean cheap, though.)

As I mentioned earlier, the place was completely packed. The conversation and laughter seemed to be easily flowing at every table, yet the atmosphere is something I'd still consider somewhat romantic.

The food was amazing!! Some of the most authentic (and delicious) mexican food I've ever eaten.

I will definitely return!