“It could be so much better”
Review of Beachcomber Inn

and 1 more site!
Beachcomber Inn
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I read all the reviews before going and hoped that all would be OK. Whilst I understand that changes in staff are on going, the cleanliness was extremly poor. As reported elsewhere carpets are incrediablly dirty and it appeared somebody had changed their bike oil in our room. My feet stuck to the carpet so I left my shoes on. The cleaning was so bad the cleaners had not spotted a previous occupants bath soap (and dirt) on the shower ledge; a finger mark across the CD player left a line and the "fuzz" under the bed was thick.

It costs very little to hire a carpet cleaner for a day or two and go through the place. The cleaners need to be shown how to clean and check their work.

Overall, I feel the owners are "sweating their asset" and not re-investing in what could be a gold mine.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank JonRees

Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is another one of those funky beach motels that some people can get into and some just can't handle. For us, it was just OK.

We arrived around 6 p.m. and the office was closed. Our key was left in an envelope for us, which was fine, but when we discovered we had no ice bucket or cups we were just out of luck. We had to use plastic cups from to get a little ice from the machine. The pool was covered and closed, but it would have been too cold to swim anyway.

The room was very small but clean. The carpet, as other reviewers have noted, was badly stained and needed replacing. The bed and bedding were nice.

The adjacent restaurant was packed, but the hostess offered us seats at the bar, which turned out to be very fun. We shared an excellent fried shrimp dinner, drinks, and dessert, and the friendly bartender gave us top notch service.

The continental breakfast in the office area was limited but fine for us The clerk was very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayne1973Dallas_TX
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Because our usual spot near Asilomar has gone down in quality, I used Trip Advisor's positive comments to book this place. When we left, we learned that Arlene, who ran the place with Bob, had died, and since then he hired someone to be on-site innkeeper. So read our experience in light of this management change.

When we arrived, we learned the large room we booked was unavailable "due to plumbing problems" (delivered complete with eye roll). Also, the pool and spa were closed due to health regulations. We were able to look at several other rooms, and were taken aback by their condition. We selected what proved to be the Accessible room. Since the beds were satisfactory and bathroom clean, we decided to stay. We later discovered we had been written up for four nights when one should have been free, and decided to fix it on leaving.

At night we discovered the sliding door to our first floor deck had been installed backwards and did not lock, so we moved furniture to block it and got on with our touring. When lights were on, we realized the carpet was so dirty, seemingly never ever cleaned, that we wouldn't let a dog on it. The rest of the room was clean, but recent repairs reflected work of a handy man with meager skills. The floor was spongy in places, a sign of rot underneath.

We had no housekeeping at all. I turned my pillow over toward the end and found eyelash marks from mascara. I wear no eye makeup.

The back yard, advertised as a play and picnic area, had not been maintained and looked nothing like the pictures from the past.

Breakfast was the usual Budget level lowest end sugary treats, drinks, bagels, and little cereal boxes. You could do one of those self-made waffles that never quite work. Coffee was the weakest imaginable. (Asilomar has an espresso bar, fortunately.)

Our second night the people next door had a fight. The man was slamming inside and out to the deck, throwing furniture, screaming so violently and obscenely we thought he would beat up the woman. We hadn't been told who to contact at night in case of trouble, and were about to call the police when the fight stopped.

The next evening similar violence occurred and eventually quieted down. In the middle of the night the police came and arrested one person and took the other in an ambulance.

We decided to leave, and learned from the very competent morning clerk that the screaming man was the innkeeper, who had been hired at the beginning of the year. We told her about existing problems in the room. She explained the recent history of the place, said upgrades were being planned, such as new carpeting. She also corrected our bill. She was the only competent person in the place.

The adjoining restaurant, the Fish Wife, is unaffiliated with the motel, and is one of the best seafood places on the peninsula. So don't confuse the two as one place.

So if this has been an old favorite of yours, call ahead to find out whether the innkeeper we had has been replaced. I am sure Arlene would be highly embarrassed by the change in condition of this once good family spot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank pipilo2015
beachbum369, Manager at Beachcomber Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

The staff at the Beachcomber Inn did their very best to provide MsAudubon (alias) good lodging and service. Regarding events and statements in this posting:
1. Bob and Arlene were the innkeepers for a number of years and Bob (NOT Arlene) died in June, 2010.
2. No new innkeepers have been hired (to date).
3. Arlene left the Beachcomber January, 2011 rather than stay on in another capacity.
4. The pool is NOT closed for “health reasons.” It is closed for repairs currently scheduled for August, 2011. Problem will be resolved by September, 2011.
5. MsAudubon was refunded all her money with our apologies for the disturbance that was beyond our control. She stayed 2 nights for free.
6. The couple that created the disturbance had applied for the innkeepers’ job and were staying in the apartment. They are no longer here and will never return (a mutual understanding). Problem resolved.
7. We are not aware of the mascara on the pillow case as we have no record of this complaint.
8. Most guests complement us on the breakfast and our coffee (Farmer Brothers premium). Our business is sustained by return guests.

We are working to improve conditions where we know we must and in the meantime are offering very competitive rates for an excellent location.

Paul McConnell
Manager
Beachcomber Inn
1996 Sunset Drive
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Tel: 1+800-634-4769
Email: beachcomberinn@comcast.net

Reviewed February 21, 2011

We were traveling with 4 children, myself and my husband. We received a call as we were arriving into Monterey, from the hotel that our two room suite for $75.50 would not be available do to plumbing problems and that they were very sorry. She proceeded to give me a phone number to call that would try and help find a room. I was very upset and told her that she needed to do somthing herself and get us a room. She finally offered us 2 rooms for the same price as the one we originally had, only because I was very upset. The rooms had a bad smell due to the filthy carpet. The water barely got warm for our showers and at first came out a little dirty and rusty colored. The thermostat in our room was broken and we ended up freezing that night, and next to our bed I found some dead bugs, was not very happy at all. We have stayed here many times over the past 4 years and cant believe it has gotten this bad. We will never go back....Dont get me wrong good little breakfast and good location, but no one there to help if you have a problem. Dont waste your money, go somewhere else we will...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank CC939700
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I guess the rate was pretty good for Monterey but it's an old place with poor construction and the rooms are very small. There was an "old" smell at first until we aired the rooms. The little decks at the back are not private, with cheap table/chairs, and you look past other decks for a view of the ocean. All old and low level decor.

The bed filled most of the room. The walls are old plasterboard and I found them rather dismal. The staff provide videos, there's a little fridge and the breakfast is nice, you can see they are trying, but the rooms didn't cut it for me.

However the restaurant in the complex, the Fishwife, is stylish and excellent!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Prattlecette
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Me and my husband have stayed here many times over the last 4 years, but, it has gotten pretty bad. We stayed in room 24, there was a "breath-rite" nose strip, stuck to the side of the nitestand. the sliding glass door was horribly dirty The carpet is super stained and smells bad, The bed sucks. We got some used shampoo bottles and lotion as the amninity's. We have always liked staying here, but it has declined very badly. Now, with a 2 year old playing around on the floor, i'm afraid we just can't stay here anymore. We love Arleen and the staff. The breakfast is fun. I love making my own waffles. And rooom 24 has a balcony and a ocean view. But the quality isn't there for the price. about $149 a night.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank cocoabeachshark
Reviewed October 10, 2010

This is a first review and unfortunately it's not a good one. This place is a joke. They charge top dollar and the rooms are run down and out dated. The carpet was badly worn, stained, filthy and smelled of mildew and mold (this is a health hazard). They advertise a pool, sauna and in-room wireless internet, and none of them were available. After talking to another guest I found out that the pool had been closed down for over a year, yet they still advertise it. The office is only open from 8am to 11am and 3pm to 6pm, so if you have a problem other than at those times you are out of luck there is not one there to help you. Both ladies in the office try their best to help but it's quite evident that their hands are tied and they have no control over how the inn is maintained or run. The smell in the room was really bad (mildew in the rug) and we couldn't air out the room at night, because there were no screens on the sliding back door, not to mention that the sliding door was tweaked and we had a really difficult time locking it. The drain in the tub was rusty and when I turned on the water to take a bath, the water came out brown and rusty. I will never recommend this place, in fact I advise anyone to stay clear of it.. Check out my pictures you will see what I mean. We immediately checked out the next morning and booked a beautiful room at the Monarch Resort for $30.00 less a night than this dive was charging.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends