“Huge breakfast”

First Awakenings
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a definite must for breakfast when you are in the Monterey area. There is outdoor seating around a firepit, which is a cool touch. The portions are huge and delicious. I had a California crepe (avacado, mushrooms, ham) with roasted potatoes. Somehow, I managed to eat the whole thing, it was so delicious. Would definitely go here again. It is just around the corner from Cannery Row and the Aquarium. The parking was a little difficult to find; it's just up the hill from the restaurant, but once we found the lot we realized that you can get your parking ticket validated at the restaurant and then the parking is free.

1  Thank LeahsTravels

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Found this place because it was the only thing open at 7 AM! What a great find though. Food was great, good sized portions, healthy. We only ate breakfast there, but went back twice. Staff was really nice. Great coffee.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I will admit .. this restaurant was first on my list of restaurants to go to during my stay in Monterey, CA during the 4th of July weekend. I knew I would be arriving late afternoon, so my first restaurant to go to was planned to be the next morning at First Awakenings. I loved it! Up till that morning, the best pancakes I had eaten were at Ihop .. but this place takes the (pan)cake! My daughter and I saw the menu, where the pancakes were listed as $8.50, but she voluntarily told me, that they come in stacks of 3, but most folks can't eat 3, so she suggested I just order one, which I did, and I was very grateful that she suggested that, because the menu doesn't say you can order just one (much less expensive, and no leftovers). Truly, the lightest, best pancake ever. Then I went back two days later, and got the pancake, fresh fruit salad, potatoes and sausage. Best breakfast ever for us. thanks to all who suggested this as a "must." I will do the same..

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Went here for breakfast on a weekday. Nice place to get pancakes or eggs just south of Monterey / Cannery row. An easy walk to the Aquarium if you go before it opens up.

The restaurant is inside an old cannery building that has been turned into stores. Staff is helpful and they have plenty of seating inside or outside.

If you go make sure to go inside the building because you cannot see the restaurant from Ocean View Blvd.

1  Thank Joshua K
Reviewed July 2, 2014

A large group of us (16) met there for breakfast. While they don't take reservations, we did give them a head's up, because there were so many of us. While we had a wait, it really wasn't bad, considering the number of us. They accommodated all of our tastes. Every one of enjoyed our selection, and the casual comfort of the space. The staff was lovely, and even though there were 16, and we took up a considerable amount of space in a small restaurant, we never felt rushed.

1  Thank Liz B