“AMAZING!!!!”

First Awakenings
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is THE breakfast spot in Monterey. It is absolutely incredible. You MUST eat there. We got there within a 1/2 hour of them opening and had plenty of choices on seating. By the time we left the place was almost packed. Definitely get there early. You do not want to miss out on this food!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Love the day starter skillet, plenty of food, can feed you three times. If you sit outside be prepared for bird attack, they provide you with squirt bottles to ward off the birds but gross, bird flappings end up on your food. But I would go back in a heart beat, this is a great place to eat and every time company comes to visit from out of town I take them here for breakfast. Go early expect a wait.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently found out that there was a First Awakenings in Pacific Grove, near Cannery Row, so I decided we had to go there.

1st of all, if you're going to spend the day at the aquarium and surrounding areas, you might as well start the morning here.

The food is great and there is plenty. Its filled with good ingredients, and made fresh. I personally like the omelettes and the pancakes. I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of the options in those categories. My new favorite is the crepe-eggs, specifically the turkey dill. I'm not a huge fan of crepes, and I still am not but the filling of the turkey dill is worth it. The crepe-eggs has the crepe batter with eggs so it's a little heavier than a normal crepe. It's not bad, but it's not for me. I prefer eggs. Next time, I will ask for the turkey dill in an omelette.The Eggs Benedict is also great, can't really go wrong there.

There are only two things that wasn't great. The service is a little less than at the Salinas location. Our waitress took a little longer to reach us but the place was nearly full, and I'm not sure they have the best strategy to serving guests. I saw one set of guests get seated but didn't have a waiter come for a long time. They were seated outside, and I think the host never mentioned it to the waiter. Thus there were people waiting much longer. Our trip was satisfactory.

The other issue is the coffee. It's not terrible, but it's not great. At least they leave a pitcher for you to fill at your leisure, which I took full advantage of (I like coffee).

Did I mention the location was good? It's a block away from the aquarium, and all the Cannery Row establishments. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the best place for breakfast or lunch. They have the bestwheatgerm pancakes or waffles which are my favorite. The prices are good but come early or wait. Very popular with locals and tourists.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went to this diner whilst travelling on holiday with my wife (for my wife to experience traditional US breakfast food).
It took us a little while to find it : google maps suggests that it is on the ocean front on Wave Street. Actually it's a few metres away, on the right hand side of Eardley Avenue when coming from the coast.

The place was really popular and we had to wait 20 min for a table although service was prompt and courteous once we were seated.
The furnishings were pretty simple (parasols above tables in a concrete courtyard) and there are no views so not a place to go if you're looking for a sea side experience.

I was disappointed that they did not serve espresso, capucinno or lattes but perhaps I should not have expected this in a classic diner.

I had the corned beef hash with a poached egg on the side.
It was a large portion but mainly potatoes. The beef was so finely ground that you couldn't really taste it and the peppers
were tasteless. My poached egg was overlooked.

My wife had the eggs benedict with turkey which she enjoyed. Again a healthy portion and relatively tasty.

Looking around the courtyard the pancakes seemed popular and may have been a better choice from my perspective.

If you're looking for a simple hearty breakfast and location is not an issue then this is probably not a bad choice provided you choose well from the menu.

Overall