“Stay Away! So many better options in the area.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Tillie Gort's

Tillie Gort's
Ranked #29 of 79 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Monterey, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Stay Away! So many better options in the area.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had very low expectations for this place but I try to eat vegan and healthy so bought a Groupon figuring it was a good way to try it and not be disappointed. It was far worse than I could have imagined!

There was some confusion about the wine, as to which was included and not, but then they were out of the included wine and had to dig around to find any wine we were wiling to drink. They serve only cheap wine here.

We waiting a LONG time for our food and when they brought the entrees I asked what happened to the soup and salad, to which the waitress responded "they will be out shortly". The waitress was in training, and she did try, but the person training her was no help.

All the food was bland and dry. I was hopeful that the Vegan desserts would save the meal. We tried two different vegan cakes, BOTH of which were inedible and tasted as if they were TWO WEEKS OLD, no exaggeration!!! It was frustrating and disappointing and just BAD. Atmosphere sucks, run down and musty. Do NOT go. I do not know how this place has been opened as long as it has.

• Visited September 2012

Zephyr Cove, NV
“Nothing to Rave About”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

My first experience at Tillie Gort's was not the best, but I'd be willing to try it again, since many of the menu offerings sounded tasty. And it has many vegetarian options.

There is inside seating as well as a few tables available outside on the sidewalk, which are a nice option, weather permitting.

When we first arrived, we stood at the counter for about 10 minutes. The server/cashier was busy tending to customers at tables (3 occupied) and completely ignored us. She could have greeted us or acknowledged our presence/made eye contact and said: "I'll be right with you." She said nothing.

To kill some time, I made a trip to the unisex restroom. There is no hot water available. That seems unsanitary (at best) if the kitchen and restaurant staff are using that facility. We sat outside for a few minutes, then tried again. This time, she ignored us for about 3 or 4 minutes, then said hi and took our order.

My friend ordered the All in One Plate, and I ordered the mushroom veggie burger. They were delivered from the kitchen quickly and were tasty, but nothing to rave about.

The server was pleasant when she brought out our food.

I will most likely give it another try and see if it's any better. But for now, I wouldn't put it in the "recommended" category, especially given all the amazing options available in Monterey and downtown/historic Pacific Grove.

• Visited August 2012
“Price did not match value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Worst chai tea I've ever had. Ordered the baked potato with veggies & cheese but did not come with butter or sour cream so it was really dry. My husband's polenta looked OK but after spending $35 for lunch felt a bit ripped off.

Visited August 2012
monterey
“Very weak service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Tried this place for lunch. Very slow service-how can you ignore customers when there are only two tables occupied? When we finally got lunch, it took a long while, one of the dishes was ok and the other not. The hummus sandwich was pretty food, the mushroom sandwich was just mushroom on bread-no accompanients at all-dry and bare. At least it wasn't high priced.

• Visited April 2012
California Hot Springs, California
“Jackpot! Great restaurant in PG!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

Had an enjoyable laid back dinner. Nice food, nice location and nice service : )