“Used to be much better”

Sunnyvale, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be much better”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I hate to give this place a poor review after having been raised on the Peninsula and coming here throughout my childhood, but we recently returned and I was extremely unhappy with my meal. The restaurant was nearly empty and the corned beef hash that people rave about was unfortunately the worst corned beef hash I have had at any restaurant. The chunks of corned beef were so overcooked that they were blackened and tough. Some pieces were even inedible because they were too tough to be chewed. It was like eating fried leather. Chunks of overcooked fat were mixed in with the meat and the onions and potatoes were equally overcooked. I had to take half of the meal home to tackle because the others in my party had long finished their meals. If I had not been with a group, I would have sent the meal back.

However, I can say that the server was very pleasant and the service very quick. 2 stars for that, but after the experience of that meal, I will not be returning.

• Visited August 2012

Portland, OR
“Average Food, Cute Patio, Dated Interior”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had lunch here, the menu was pretty typical, the staff was friendly. The interior is getting dated, but the small outdoor garden patio looked appealing.

Visited April 2013
Ripon, California
“Consistent excellence!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Toasties is one of the places we look forward to returning to. It is not just that it is cute and homey. It is not just the great French Roast coffee. It is not just the really good cheese blintzes and egg dishes. It is also the consistently welcoming, gracious staff we see there year after year. It says a lot about a restaurant when the people who work there stay, and stay the same, nice, people. We love the solid predictability of this well-run establishment!

• Visited August 2012
Sacramento, California
“FANTASTIC potatoes!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm not the biggest breakfast person but I love Toasties Cafe in PG. Their potatoes are fantastic (I'm a big potato fan!!). Nice atmosphere, much preferable to First Awakenings, which has a much longer wait along with not particularly impressive food.

• Visited March 2013
Southern California
“Quaint, Nice Breakfast”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

A very quaint, old fashioned dining room. Very simple furniture yet comfortable. The staff is pleasant and sweet. Regular and French Roast coffees are available. The menu offers homemade hash, omelets, eggs with linguisa or Italian sausage, or standard small breakfast sausage, or bacon. They also offer variety of eggs benedict, regular, crab and spinach, shrimp and avocado, turkey and avocado, and the hollandaise sauce is perfect. Prices are very reasonable, service is nice, coffee is good. Worth a visit.

• Visited April 2013