“Okay, but could have been better”

Favaloro's Big Night Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Favaloro's Big Night Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 79 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fountain Avenue
Transit: Monterey Salinas Transit about 12 steps away.
Newark, CA
“Okay, but could have been better”
Reviewed November 14, 2008

The establishment is smaller and cozy and has an authentic Italian look. The menu and wine list is nice and the prices are reasonable. The service was lacking and we had to request water a couple of times and follow up service was less than one should expect. The food was good. I was with a larger party and paid the bill. The next morning I felt the bill was larger than anticipated and upon checking the math found I had been significatnly overcharged. I contacted the restaurant and they corrected the overcharge which appeared to be an error by the server using the calculator. Since they do not use an automated invoicing system check the math.

3 Thank James T

San Jose
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best, most authentic Italian food in Monterey”
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Excellent food prepared by the owner and his wife. The food is fresh, delicious, and plated well. The service was spot on and friendly. The atmosphere is romantic and offers a quiet, classy dining experience. The perfect date restaurant or dinner for 2-6 people. The oyster bar is perfect for a late night coffee. This is not a family style type of Italian restaurant, so don't expect the loud clatter of plates or the rushing around of the waiters. Service is quiet and unrushed. It is our favorite restaurant in the Monterey Bay area.

1 Thank Dr_Art
Santa Barbara, Ca
“big night, a little frigid”
Reviewed February 18, 2008

The restaurant is a family affair in Pacific Grove. It has good food at reasonable prices, but the waiter, the son's owner, was less than warm and quite slow at his work. i got the feeling he didn't really care for what he was doing. However, I could be wrong. In the event, we ate well, had a bottle of Antinori Santa Cristina, and enjoyed ourselves despite the rather dour atmosphere. The smells from the kitchen are what drew us (A naturalized American from Italy and his wife, and an Italian-American and his wife) to the place - that and the movie with Tony Shalhoub and Stanley Tucci. So, if you're in PG and want a decent bowl of pasta, stop in.

2 Thank spaventa
Coolangatta, Australia
“New Restauarant the big night..same people”
Reviewed March 18, 2007

The Favaloro family have opened a new restaurant in Pacific Grove, on the main street.
One word for it,
FANTASTIC.
It has only been open 2 weeks and was busy immediately.
Absolutely beautiful interior, with a wine room and sit down bar area.
Staff are friendly and helpful. Ask for Sarah, she is a gem.
Food is superb, Marie is the owner /chef and she will cater to your special needs,just ask to have a word to her.
Her husband is there cooking and making sure you have a wonderful night.
We had the oysters,scallops and a pasta ...a tasty feast.
You could dress up and have a celebration here or walk in in your tracksuit. You will be welcomed either way.
When it is so nice inside I like to dress up.
We will return! Go there!

3 Thank heatheraussie
A TripAdvisor Member
“Terrible, family style”
Reviewed August 11, 2005

I've eaten at Favaloro's a few times, and the food is decent. When my baby was born, my dad bought us a couple of gift certificates for there to help us out. Imagine my sursprise, when I tried to use one (after dinner, mind you) and the owner came running out of the kitchen shouting that the certificates were fake becasue he always cut them differently. It was a surreal scene. they finally honored them, saying "well just this time" (as if I'd be back) I heard the owner say to his wife as I was leaving that "he might have made a mistake"... still, no apology, and I would never recommend the place to anyone. Pasta Mia across the street has better food and nicer people.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member