“Bottles of wine!”
Review of Passionfish

Reserve with OpenTable
Passionfish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Congress Ave
Description: Doing what we know, to save what we love! A sustainable seafood restaurant focused on saving our oceans. Awards: - Zagat rated #2 Best Seafood in Bay Area 2012 - Repeatedly named "Best Restaurant in Monterey County" by Monterey County Weekly readers. In 2012, Passionfish was voted Best Selection of Wines by the Glass, Best Restaurant in Monterey County, Best Restaurant in Pacific Grove, Best Seafood Restaurant, and Best Sustainable Restaurant (a record-breaker for the Weekly's 22nd annual Best of Monterey County poll). - Participant in the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch program. - Selected in April 2012 to be on the Ameriorganic list. - Certified green by the Monterey Bay Green Business Program. As the first officially green restaurant in Monterey County, Passionfish sets an example with a strict policy of sustainable and environmentally friendly purchasing.Passionfish is owned and operated by Chef Ted Walter and his wife, Cindy Walter. With an ever changing menu that features the freshest sustainable seafood, slow cooked meats, farm fresh organic greens and delectable house-made desserts, your experience is guaranteed to be unique EVERY time you dine with us. The chef’s simply inspired dishes reflect his philosophy of serving healthy, flavorful, and ecologically sound meal choices. All are complimented with a Wine Spectator award winning wine list, priced well below what you might expect.Over the past eight years, Passionfish has earned a noteworthy reputation for Chef Walter’s unique California cuisine. His simple, inspired recipes have been published in:- Bon Appetit magazine - Ocean Friendly Cuisine: Sustainable Seafood Recipes from the World's Finest Chef's - The Food of Fisherman's Wharf: Cooking and Eating from San Francisco to Monterey Passionfish has also been featured on KRON TV's "Bay Cafe", Rachel Ray's "Tasty Travels" and the Discovery Channel's new healthy lifestyles program.Join us for dinner and experience the NEW good life!Our Passion - Be sure to check out these organizations and to support our ocean friends:Monterey Bay Aquarium Tag-A-GiantSeafood Watch Eco TrustFish WiseLeatherback Turtle TrustLiving Oceans Marine Fish Conservation Network Marine Stewardship Council NOAAOceana Oceans Alive Plastic Pollution CoalitionSea Turtle Restoration Project Sea Web Seafood Choices Tagging of Pacific Predators The Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform The Institute for Fisheries Resources
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Love the concept of this place- sustainable food/fishing and the food was great. The fish was amazingly fresh but the baked gorgonzola/curry salad stole the prize for interesting/tasty dish.

They were able to take a last minute reservation and their bottles of wine are only marked up slightly (instead of the 3X at regular restaurants).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,450)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I love this restaurant. Whenever I visit Monterey bay area, I always stop by. Fresh fish and yummy cooking in fusion style. The chef adds twists in the sauces. It is not just grilled fish.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

After reading the stellar reviews, I reserved a table for two. The goat cheese/beet salad was exceptionally good, as was my husband's gnocchi. However, our main courses were not as good as we'd anticipated. I ordered the tilapia, and it was just ok. The accompanying mashed potatoes tasted as if they were made with water instead of cream or milk, and the edamame were pretty bland. My husband's halibut was so-so. We did not order dessert. Perhaps it was an off night for this well-reviewed restaurant.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My partner and I had dinner last evening at Passionfish. Our experience was wonderful from start to finish.

The setting is streamlined but comfortable, and the service was stellar. The menu is limited to fresh ingredients and is well priced. Our server was very helpful in assisting us in our decision making and patiently answered my many questions.

In the end, we made fabulous choices. The salad starter was interesting and delicious. My scallops were outstanding as was the sauce and the accompaniments. The sturgeon my partner had, with a wonderful bean medley was very interesting and tasty. We finished with the meyer lemon pana cotta -- divine. Of course our meal was helped by stellar bread -- with smoked garlic butter; great coffee and attentive service.

The wine list is extensive and has some fascinating choices. Our server was very good at helping us navigate the many options. In the end, we had a wonderful chardonnay which worked perfectly with both our mains and the curried flavours of the starter salad.

I made the reservation many weeks ago, looking forward to our meal here. I'm so glad I did. My only regret is that the meal is over and that Passionfish is not near my home.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Passionfish is a follower of the Monterey Bay Aquarium program for sustainable seafood, so pleased to support them and know I'm eating fish that meets the guidelines. Scallops were done perfectly. Highlight was the fresh peach and strawberry cobbler with vanilla ice cream.