“Great Light Meal”
Review of Red House Cafe

Red House Cafe
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We were running late, after a day of traveling, and didn't really want a big meal. Willing to splurge a bit, but not too much.....and this really fit the bill. Had our two boys with us, ages 7 and 9. They had an unwritten kids menu that the waitress told to us. And they have a lighter fair menu (and cheaper....prices and portions scaled down). I had the Camembert which was incredible. My wife had soup, one of the boys had Calamari and the other an incredible (and not small) cheese pizza. Got a piece of pie afterwards too. You could spend a lot here and I assume get a great meal for it. But was really glad to spend a reasonable amount (with tip bill was around $55), and have some smaller portions of very high quality food.

This is a meal I will probably remember for a long time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,223)

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I've been going to the Red House consistently for the past 7 years and it is still one of my favorites in this sleepy town of Pacific Grove. The food here is delicious and anyone I've ever taken here has always enjoyed it as well. The service is great and new servers although frequent are properly trained and always on point. The ambiance is sweet, The Red House restaurant is in fact built inside a little red house and every room has been converted into their kitchen or restaurant seating including both the back and front porches. It is pretty squished inside at times and bringing large parties during the rush wouldn't be reccomended by me but I have seen it done and with very little complication. When you visit Monterey and Pacific Grove, The Red House is a must.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I've been to lunch on business here twice. A very nice place. Good food, but understaffed, so service was slow. Friendly though.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Must admit that we've always loved the lunch. Been coming for years. Recently though, returning to California from our current home in England, we ran up Highway 1 from Cambria--arriving here just in time for dinner. Gentle, spring night. Fabulous food.

In fact, the Petrale sole was so good that it rivaled an old favorite place in Petaluma that has now been gone for years. And the member of our party who had the chicken parmigiana--a notoriously picky eater--said that it was one of the best meals, and one of the best versions of the dish, that he had ever had.

Great food in this perfect, comfortable, cozy, little old Pacific Grove cottage. What more could one desire from life? Truly, these are the moments that make great memories. Please do yourself a favor and don't hesitate to go.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Plenty of tables for different sized groups. Several rooms so all tables are semi-private. Food is delicious. You'll see many of the locals dining there and inviting guests from out of town to share this fun environment and menu with a variety of enticing items.