“Excellent food in an out-of-way location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fishwife

Fishwife
Ranked #10 of 79 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Description: The sister restaurant is in Seaside, CA
San Diego, California
“Excellent food in an out-of-way location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My daughter and I were staying at Asilomar Conference Grounds, around the corner from the Fishwife restaurant, had passed by it many times on previous trips but it looked so unassuming that we never managed to eat there. Well, this time we did and we were really surprised and impressed by the quality of the food and the friendliness of the service. My daughter said the homemade Key Lime pie was heavenly, I'll take her word for it. It is a very busy place so make a reservation. Afterwards you can take a nice walk down to Asilomar Beach and enjoy the views of the Pacific.

• Hebrew first
Cupertino, California
“Surprisingly disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had heard about Fishwife for years, and usually in glowing terms. So, my companion and I (being too tired to cook) decided to try it. We have driven past it numerous times, on our way to the beach, and figured that, notwithstanding its out-of-the-way location, it must have something to keep folks talking about it. We arrived at about 7:00PM on a Saturday night, without a reservation, and were told it would be 10-15 minutes for one of the "tall tables". It was over half an hour (another couple was given the tall table that did, in fact, turn within about 10 minutes of our arrival) before we were seated. We were promptly given a basket of really spongy-looking white bread (not warmed) and little butter packets. The menu and wine list were presented promptly, and looked inviting. I ordered a glass of pinot grigio, crab cakes (appetizer) and a small dinner salad; my companion had a bowl of the Boston clam chowder. The food also arrived promptly, as did the wine. The wine was mediocre, at best, the dinner salad was old-school cafeteria style, and the crab cakes were about a C+ -- flat (squashed?), with a sauce that was more spicy (hot) than tasty, with two tiny slices of lemon to squeeze over (complete with seeds). The crab cakes were most likely made with canned crab (at least that's what they tasted like), but tasty enough. The salad was ridiculous. My companion said the chowder was "okay" but that he's had better. We did not even bother with trying dessert, but paid ($30 or so all in) and left. I was very disappointed, and would not recommend this restaurant. The staff was pleasant, but not particularly enthusiastic. They seemed to spend a lot of time gossiping at the reception desk, which is -- to me -- not a great sign... Too bad, because this is a great spot for a great restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
“Well worth a visit on the Pacific Grove”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

The restaurant was busy with a 30 minute wait, which is usually a good sign. The lady at the nearby hotel had recommended it to us, and we were not disappointed. The menu is varied and tantalising, and everyone there seemed happy. The staff were friendly and helpful. The food is great, fresh and well presented.

Visited July 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Fishwife came recommended by our hotel and it was excellent. It is a quaint enclosed former "porch"; looks like it belonged to the adjacent motel in earlier times. The Calamari appetizer we had were tender fingers of pure meat grilled to perfection; no rubbery breaded rings for these folks. Our entrees were recommended by the waiter and they were fresh and delicious. The place was very busy and noisy on the Friday night we ate there and so the only negative comment I would make is that we felt very rushed through our meals.

Sacramento Metro
“Better healthy options please...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here one night. Everyone else enjoyed their food. I wanted to order something healthy. Most of the healthy options seemed to involve spicing things up - e.g. cajun style. I was hoping for something a little more citrussy. They simply placed my fish on a salad - I would have preferred to have the fish and salad separately.

Visited July 2013