“Wished I'd seen the wine and cheese...”

Pacific Gardens Inn
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Loved reading all the reviews of the Pacific Gardens Inn and especially liked the descriptions of the warm and hospitable setting many others encountered on check-in when they came across the evening wine and cheese event.

I arrived at 8:40 on a Friday night after a three hour drive and at the end of a long business day. The front desk was unmanned (and wine and cheese was long over) when I got there and a sign indicated that the receptionist was away for a moment and would be back soon.

I waited about five minutes and then asked the two teen agers also standing at the desk how long they'd been waiting for the check-in person to return. They said they'd been waiting about ten minutes, so that meant she hadn't been around for about 15 minutes now, and it wasn't looking good for me to just be able to get my key and get to my room.

I walked behind the desk and stuck my head into a small office there in which a woman named Areli was sitting. I told her about my plight and asked her if she could help me, and she said "I'm not working now" but came out anyway with reluctance and carelessness to check me in and give me my key. I was struck by her rude tone and thought that if that were her best efforts toward greeting a guest she probably should have done nothing instead.

I wanted good instructions to find the room since it was dark but she waved her hand and went back to the office. I had trouble finding #102 as its door is completely hidden from view, and parking at the inn is limited and insufficent.

Parked on the other side of the motel and walked to where I thought #102 should be, inserted my key in the lock, and nothing happened. I looked at the key tag and realize it said "101" so I assumed that they'd moved me to the next room and I went to that door, and unliocked it to see a room full of luggage, wine, clothing, and all the nice things people bring with them on a vacation week-end.

So after having waited 15 minutes for service and then having to ask for it from someone who delivered it unwilingly, I had been given someone else's room key.

I returned to the office and met Kirsten , the receptionist on duty,who instead of apologizing about my welcome was quick to state she'd been with another customer. This I already knew from the information on her little desk sign, so I asked for the correct room key and finally got it, about 25 minutes after I'd arrived.

At this point it would have taken a big turnaround to make me happy with this inn, and that was not to be. I found the beds unusually hard and the sound of all the plumbing noises from the adjoining rooms were as loud as any I've ever heard-makes Motel 6 seem like a Four Seasons in that category.

The two teenagers who'd been waiting at the desk with me also walked by my room and without solicitation remarked on how rudely I'd been treated by Areli.

I can tell from the attention to detail that is apparent in other aspects of the inn that the owners are caring and that they mean to offer everyone a good experience.

My suggestion to them is that they invest in a cell phone for reception and that the sign on the desk when check-in is absent read "Please call this number from the phone in the lobby to reach our check-in person if no one is here".

That alone would have kept me away from begging for service form Areli, who didn't want to proivde it, and it would have probably been a better bet for their insurance company, who wouldn't have had to worry about keys being issued to rooms that are already occupied.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank ramonaloewe

Reviewed July 3, 2008

We got a great room, fireplace, fridge, popcorn& popper, NO microwave. They had wine, cheese, crackers, and salami and coffee and tea. It's across the street from the Asilomar Conference Center and walking distance to the beach. We brought our dog - there was no additional charge, just a $30 security deposit. In the morning they had scones, fruit, cereal and bagels, juice, coffee & tea, cocoa. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2008

My family and I just enjoyed a wonderful, peaceful stay at the Pacific Gardens Inn. We had the two bedroom suite. It was basically an apartment with plenty of room and a full kitchen. The staff was super nice and helpful. The hotel was quiet , so quiet that you can even hear the ocean at night. THe wine and cheese reception was perfect and so it the morning breakfast. We were so sad to leave.

we will be back later this year. It is in a great location, away from the traffic of MOnterey yet close enough to do all your activities!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 30, 2008

We had a wonderful time...it was an enjoyable, comfortable, and entertaining stay.

The accomodations were more than expected. And the surrounding area was so beautiful and tranquil. But, for us, the best feature was the camaraderie experienced among the guests during the breakfasts and the wine & cheese gatherings.

Everyone (especially the owner, Bob) was so outgoing and communicative. My wife was thrilled to be able to meet so many friendly folks (we usually stay in large hotels). We looked forward to each night's wine and cheese (and the breakfasts, too.)

Summary: We loved our stay! We've already told many folks about it. And, we'll be back!

billinavon@aol.com

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We have been staying here for years...always with children and love it! They have popcorn in the room. The fireplace is great when it is a colder evening. Love the spas, breakfast, wine and cheese.
Always have had a great experience!

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank happycampersdhac
Reviewed March 4, 2008

Pacific Gardens Inn is a small B&B with large rooms and larger hospitality. You'll be well taken care of by Robert, the new owner-operator and his staff. He ensures your stay is good and was raised in the area, so knows everything. Nestled in the quiet pines across from Asilomar Beach Resort and next to 17 Mile Drive / Pebble Beach, only a minute walk to Calif's most magnificent seashore, with its joggers, otters, seals, & surfers.

You definitely want to stay in the Asilomar area of PG, for the coastline and beaches, ocean air, the deer everywhere, and the quietness. Enjoy it all by renting a bike! We have been coming here for years every chance we get. They are often sold out in advance, that shows you how popular this inn is with returning guests. In this upscale area, the room rate is great! Rooms are large, with fridge but no microwave, and most have real fireplaces, and sometimes can accommodate small dogs. We are particular about where we stay, and Pacific Gardens is always clean & comfortable, and the beds sleep well. Laundry onsite. The best continental breakfast served in the area is right here. Wine and cheese is offered nightly in the lobby, the perfect snack before enjoying dinner at numerous well-known great restaurants in downtown Pacific Grove (try Favaloro's Big Night Bistro, The Passion Fish, Peppers, and Holly's for breakfast!). Only minutes away lies Monterey, the Aquarium, Cannery Row, Point Lobos, Carmel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Fastracmom
Reviewed February 22, 2008

We usually stay in Carmel where we would have paid double for the same accomodations! The area is very quiet. We stayed in 208 which is a two bedroom, one bath suite with full kitchen, livingroom and fireplace. It has a partial ocean view which was a nice bonus! One of the most powerful showers we have had in the Carmel area with all their conservation efforts. All the employees were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. If you think "continental breakfast" is pastries in a plastic bag, you will be pleasantly surprised at PGI. Breakfast included hot chocolate, coffee, tea, oj, cereal, fresh fruit, bagels, scones, pastries and hard boiled eggs. The two in-ground jacuzzis were kept at the perfect temperature during our stay. There were covered garages (no doors) which is nice when there is mist in the morning. While the Inn is not elaborate, it is very comfortable and clean with comfy beds. You can't go wrong here and there are restaurants within walking distance. Would not hesitate to stay there again.

Stayed: February 2008