“Serviceable and competitively priced, but otherwise, I can't recommend it”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pacific Grove
Borg's Ocean Front Motel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
San Francisco, CA
“Serviceable and competitively priced, but otherwise, I can't recommend it”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We read the rave reviews on TripAdvisor and got a very different impression of the motel we arrived in this weekend.

First the good: the location is stunning, literally right across the street from Lover's Point and also just a block away from walking to Cannery Row. That's no small thing, particularly Lover's Point, although it was, on the weekend, overrun by people in the thousands. In terms of good things I can say about the rooms, they are clean and the furniture is new. The shower, which is small and has no bathtub, has good water pressure and nice hot water. Also, the front desk staff is pleasant. And most importantly -- Borg's was HALF the price of other area motels, some of which looked seedy, something Borg's was NOT. Otherwise, I've got no more positive things to say. So on to the "issues."

We entered into a very small room with zero sense of privacy at all where we could here every bodily function and conversation of the many other people staying in the hotel so that I had to wear ear plugs just to be IN the hotel. Mainly, I slept and left. There was no other reason to be in what looked like a tiny, clean submarine bunker. No frills is an understatement here. Borg's supplied soap, and in the morning, coffee in the lobby (if you can call it that). It wasn't located near any markets or inexpensive restaurants or the really obvious deli which might have been idyllic for a picnic at Lover's Point. Room Service? Hahahahahahaha, no. There was no shampoo, lotion, refrigerator, microwave, continental breakfast, bathtub, hair dryer large towels (ours were hand-towel sized and wouldn't cover my behind), or on premises vending machine. The bathroom was small and dark-tiled. The bed was uncomfortably hard and also cold, so we were lucky we had a wool blanket in the car or we would have frozen since I couldn't find the heater for this room (I'm not sure it had one). I think you're getting the picture. The bathrooms had zero counterspace, there were no pictures on the walls, and while there was a mirror, you had to stand on the bed to see it full-length.

My husband wasn't able to sleep due to road noise and the noise of neighbors' talking inside of their room. He said this was the worst hotel/motel we'd ever stayed at.

The problem is, where else can you stay for this price in Monterey? Nowhere. Most BUDGET hotels are twice as much and in farther-flung areas.

Monterey's lack of decent budget accomodations has convinced me to never stay here again: it's not worth it. I don't fault Borg's for this, but I must wonder why they don't just drop their prices to $60 a night OR renovate a little. There are no clocks in the rooms! That might help. A vending machine on premises or a continental breakfast, or a few pictures hung in the rooms MIGHT take the edge off the cramped feeling in the rooms and noise.

I'm just not able to recommend this hotel to others, especially those seeking romance OR with kids. I would stay here only if I were alone, had ear plugs, and just needed a place to crash for one night. Otherwise, no.

A last thought: maybe they don't want business? An online booking system, rather than a phone call-based one, would do wonders for them.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road and on the second floor are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Aqusite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Lafayette, California, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is not a four star hotel by any means, but it is an extremely good value. The room we had was small but clean, and located just across the road from the ocean. I loved hearing the waves crash at night! I wish the road weren't there, but I guess you can't have everything. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I like a rather flat pillow, and they found one for me no problem. Borg's is within walking distance of several good restaurants and we enjoyed a lovely weekend exploring the town and area. We'll visit again and stay here. One funny note - the shower was so small that if you dropped the soap you might not be able to pick it up without opening the door!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda H
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Been coming to borgs for over thirty years. Although we are used to staying in upscale hotels we Tay at borgs because of the location. There are only two hotels on the point of he peninsula. Although borgs has absolutely no comforts of fancier hotels, the walls re paper thin, rooms and bathroom small. We love it. You get up in the morning open the old curtains and behold...the rough rugged coast, otters and seals out the window gulls too. Weekday rates under 100 weekend rates 120 per night. Senior that is. Will be coming here for the next thirty years.

Room Tip: Expect clean. No fills. Location location location
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Pookeygirl
Fresno, California
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Don't let the out dated decor, and basic amenities scare you away! Our Room didn't even have a hair dryer or Iron, but the bedding was comfortable. Need to update their TV's. At night no matter where your room is At, you can be guaranteed to hear the crashing surf. The road that separates the hotel from the ocean can get a bit busy and noisy, but at nightfall it quiets down. No pool or hot Tub, But Having Lover's Point Park across the road is a Plus! Not much for Breakfast, all hotel Offers is Coffee in the Lobby, But A few blocks up the Street in Pacific Grove on Lighthouse Ave., is an assortment of eating establishments. Desk Staff Very Friendly, Helpful. It all boils down to Location, Location! WE Would Stay Here Again!!

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs can be quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tcruzer
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

While on a recent adventure exploring the Oregon/California coast, we stumbled upon this little place! We stayed two nights instead of the planned upon one, and loved it! Small but cozy room, clean, very friendly staff, close to everything, especially the ocean. We definitely would return.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy C
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My main reason for choosing Borg's is that they offer family rooms - a regular hotel room with a smaller room inside, with its own door. On this trip, I was traveling with a teenager, so we appreciated having a little separation while still not paying double for two rooms. The family rooms have a side ocean view, but we found it quite pleasant (I stayed here years earlier when the teenager was much younger and enjoyed it then too).

The other advantages - walking distance to Pacific Grove, right on the ocean, the lovely ocean side walking path.

We walked out onto the rocks at Lover's Point across the street from Borg's around sunset and saw several otters in the kelp, fishing and frolicking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Anne C
Minnesota
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been at the Borg's Ocean Front Motel at least 4 times . . have loved it every time. If you go, get a room facing the ocean so that you can hear the waves crashing all night, and in the morning feed the seagulls from your window (if you like doing that). Yes, the rooms are a bit old looking, but I've never been in a place so close to the ocean. The views are fantastic, and so are the sounds. After all, if you go to the ocean, that's what you want to see, right? Walk across the road with your cup of coffee and watch the tide come in. Bring a bottle of wine, some sour dough bread and swiss cheese for snacks and sit by the beach for lunch. Take lots of pictures. Watch for cool birds and starfish clinging to the rocks. On weekends, you can watch couples getting married on Lover's Point. Or stand near the railing by the ocean at night and listen to the waves crashing - it's almost eerie to be that close to the ocean and not be able to see it. I've taken some of the best pictures of my life staying at the motel. The desk clerks are awesome, friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be that when I stayed in March, for some reason their wireless wasn't working. We had 2 laptops with us and neither worked, no signal anywhere on the grounds. But, when I'm by the ocean, I would rather be outside looking at it anyway. No, it's not fancy, but I can get fancy anywhere else. If you want to stay at the ocean, this is the best there is!

Room Tip: If you are looking at the motel from the front, the corner upper left is the best for a family and h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Borg's Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!