All reviewsacross the streetlovers pointcannery rowfamily roomrooms are cleanmonterey areafantastic locationlove this placeoceanamenitiesmiletrailofficewharfpgneighbors
Reviewed March 9, 2008

The location is breathtaking. A motel right on the ocean, what more could you ask for. The rooms are outdated but very clean. I stayed at Borg's over a number of years and the bathrooms and heaters have been updated which is nice. The furniture and beds are out dated. It would be nice if the owners would invest in new furnishings and carpet, drapes, tv's, etc. I recommend taking your own pillows because the ones they offer are not that great. The gentlemen at the front desk at check-in was very pleasant. The woman at check out wasn't rude but didn't seem overly friendly. The rooms are small and you can hear tv's, people walking, talking, etc in the other rooms. If you can get an ocean view room, I highly recommend it simply for the view. A non ocean view room is a bit gloomy if you're facing Lover's Point directly behind the motel. I also recommond a room upstairs because you don't hear people walking as much as you do on the lower floor. If you can get past an out dated motel, you will probably enjoy your stay. Don't expect a lot of extras because they simply don't provide them. It's up to you how memorable you make your trip, not necessarily the place you stay.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank kdidlhoppr
Reviewed January 8, 2008

I have stayed at Borgs before and found it enjoyable if only for the location. However, the staff can be cold and unwelcoming. I knew the rooms were worn but mostly clean and the beds saggy and mediocre but I was willing to overlook it for the atmosphere. We stayed during the recent storm (1/08) and were basically put out in the street after they lost all power. We were not given an explanation other than it was 'not their fault' and 'No Refunds, No Exceptions! ' I tripped going up the unlit stairs and felt my safety was not their concern. I was terribly surprised they are not required by the state to have, at the bare minimum, security lighting on the staircases/hallways for such occasions. The parking lot, the rooms, the walkways, and stairs were all pitch black and the staff did nothing to remedy this or assist us as we tried to pack up to go home.
I am very sad that this hotel trip had to end this way. What a lack of compassion in a time of disaster from the hotel and it's staff. We are out the fee we paid them for a clean, warm room and we were left to fend for ourselves in the dark, wet night.
Shame on them for not providing at the very least, a safe environment from which to escape the storm.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank plumcot
cbonnici, Owner/Manager at Borg's Ocean Front Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2008

I tried emailing this guest via Trip Advisor to discuss these issues with them but they have not responded to me nor am I aware of them having called the motel directly to complain since I would have personally contacted them. I suspect that this is a family whose money had already been refunded before they wrote to Trip Advisor. I am not aware of any guests who paid for a room that they could not use on Jan 4, 2008 (because of the widespread power outage) who haven’t already been refunded their money.

During the unprecedented storm of Jan 4, 2008, I contacted my desk clerk to clarify some exceptional procedures with her, fully assuming that anyone who checked out would be assisted by her and would be refunded their money. Unfortunately, I did not make my expectations for handling in-house motel guests perfectly clear and somehow the desk clerk thought that she was not authorized to return anyone’s money. In this case, my desk clerk definitely misunderstood and misquoted my instructions (I absolutely never said, “No refunds, no exceptions.”) and I have taken action so that this situation does not repeat itself.

Typically, our guests experience a clean room at a reasonable rate in a spectacular location. We make every attempt to treat our guests fairly. We do care and we do respond to valid issues and valid concerns that are brought to our attention. The success of our family business is evidenced in the fact that we have celebrated over 60 years of serving thousands of satisfied and repeat guests.

Reviewed January 5, 2008

Our stay at Borg's was one for the ages. The bed was horribly uncomfortable - I kept waking up in the night feeling like I was falling off the edge, which had a significant dip. The room was filthy and it looked like they had not vacuumed under the bed since the Nixon Administration. We spent a sleepless night in a rainstorm, which made the single pane windows in the room rattle all night and filled the window sills with water.

None of these was the worst part of our stay. We had made reservations for our family and a friend's family to stay two nights so that we could take our children to the aquarium. After the first night, we spent the day at the aquarium. When we returned early in the evening, the rainstorm had knocked out the power in the motel.

Having small, restless children that weren't likely to sit still in a dark room all evening, we went to the lobby to see when they expected the power to return. The woman just shrugged and didn't offer us any information. We had to request flashlights from her so that we could pack up our belongings to head back home for the night.

When we requested a refund, the person working the lobby said that the motel is not responsible for the power outage. She even told us that the motel owner had called her to specifically let her know that she did not want her to provide refunds to any customers because the outage was not their responsibility. I am appalled at the poor service provided to us by this place. Beware if you deal with this motel because they don't appear to believe that customer service and repeat business are important to them.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank swickman

This person’s complaint is the result of poor communication on my part and I take full responsibility for this and the inconvenience it caused these two families traveling together.

I did not learn of this misunderstanding until a few days after the storm, when I was auditing the business from the weekend, and I realized that two rooms had checked out and that their money had not been credited back to them. I immediately authorized full credits and I personally called the guests to inform them of this oversight. I, of course, also personally apologized for the inconvenience.

It was several days after I made those calls that I read the comments these folks had made on Trip Advisor so I tried contacting them again to further discuss this issue. I understand these people’s frustration with us, but we do not have “filthy” rooms – quite the contrary.

Reviewed January 5, 2008

I thought the hotel was OK when we first got there. Rooms are small, but clean and well-maintained. No problems there. Owners bordered between friendly and suspicious when we arrived. No problems there.

As you've no doubt heard on the news, Monterey was subject to absolutely terrible storms over this weekend (1/5/08.) Borg's, like most other hotels in the area, lost power. We fully understood that was not their problem, and we're not blaming them for that.

What is the problem? Since the hotel lost power, we elected to check out a night earlier than originally anticipated. We were told we probably wouldn't have hot water, or power. Again, not Borg's fault. That's why we were leaving.

What we found completely unacceptable is:
1) The owners conveniently disappeared when the power went out, so they didn't have to deal with us
2) The employee they left there was not empowered to make decisions on behalf of the customer, but told us, "They made a point of telling us there will be no refunds on unused rooms." Remember, they were asking us to pay for a room for which they could guarantee no power, no heat, and no hot water. And we're expected to subsidize that? I think not.

Suffice it to say that we will never stay there again, and do hereby make the strongest recommendation possible that you not do business with these people.

• Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank geofflilley

During the unprecedented storm of Jan 4, 2008, I contacted my desk clerk to clarify some exceptional procedures with her, fully assuming that anyone who checked out would be assisted by her and refunded their money. Unfortunately, I did not make the procedures perfectly clear regarding our in-house guests and the desk clerk thought that she was not authorized to return anyone’s money. In this case, my desk clerk misunderstood and definitely misquoted my instructions. I did not instruct anyone not to give refunds on unused rooms during the power outage! And the “owners did not conveniently disappear so that they would not have to deal with this”. The owners were not on the property or this situation would not have occurred. The daytime office manager went off duty as scheduled so that must be what this person is referring to.

I did not learn of this unsatisfactory situation until a few days after the storm when I was auditing the business from the weekend, and I realized that two rooms had checked out and that their money had not been credited back to them. I immediately authorized full refunds and I called the guests to inform them of this oversight and to personally apologize for their inconvenience. It was several days after I made those calls that I read the comments these folks had made on Trip Advisor so I tried contacting them again.

We do care about our guests’ satisfaction and we do respond to valid issues and valid concerns that are brought to our attention. We offer clean, reasonably priced rooms in a spectacular location. We feel that we have always tried to be fair with our guests and that that is evidenced in the fact that we have successfully been in this family business for over 60 years. We take pride in the many thousands of satisfied and returning guests we have served over those years.

Reviewed January 3, 2008

Borg's has become a bit of New Year's tradition for us for 3 years now. Yes, it's old, not fancy, but the location and the views and the friendly staff (mostly) make it all worthwhile. To be honest we take our own pillows, airbed and down comforter plus a microwave. We walk to the wharf on New Years Eve Day. Had a great lunch with a view, bought clam chowder bread bowls and salad to take back to our room and drank our Veuve Cliquot on the balcony watching the amazing scenery. A perfect day for us. Take it for what it is and you can have a very special time for not so much money!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple