“Clean Enough for OCD Sister”

Andril Fireplace Cottages
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Alameda, California
“Clean Enough for OCD Sister”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We needed a last minute place to stay near Monterey and were looking for a place with a kitchen, Luckily I stumbled upon Andril's after searching for places with a kitchen. My sister is OCD with regard to cleanliness and I'm pretty sensitive to smells. Amazingly, Andril's surpassed our desires for a clean, unstinky place. It was impeccably clean, and overall a really pleasant place to stay. I would definitely return again. For what we got (a place big enough for 2 adults and 4 children, with a kitchen), the price was really good. The customer service was great and the kids appreciated the boxed cereals and bars that were out for the taking. They also enjoyed the movie selection. We could not tell dogs were staying nearby. The place did not smell and there was no barking. The beds and pillows were ridiculously comfortable too. Only warning is that the kitchen is not stocked with any cooking basics like spices and oils, so be sure to bring your own,

1 Thank katie k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Great dog friendly cottages. Plenty of room for dogs to exercise, full kitchens in some units. Great staff, very friendly people in other cottages as well. We rented the upstairs balcony unit. Great place to sit outside. Beach was close and marvelous for walking. Also a boardwalk for those who prefer that. All around our favorite new place. Traded Mendocino for Pacific Grove if that means anything. Much closer and just as quaint.

Room Tip: All the cottages are good. Just explain what you want and the staff will match your needs.
1 Thank DeAnne D
Concord, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Would stay here again any time. Very accommodating staff, cottage was very clean, well equipped and comfortable. We rented the 5-bedroom cottage for a family vacation and it was perfect for our group. Beach is an easy walk, and the free shuttle to downtown Monterey stops right in front.

1 Thank Jane B
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed August 7, 2012

this is a great Dog Friendly place to stay in the Pacific Grove, Monterey area. Coming from Alabama the last several years in the heat of the summer, what a relief to enjoy the areas cool weather and The Andril.

The cottage I was in had just been renovated, complete kitchen, fireplace, and private large outside area. It is by far my favorite place to stay in the area. Staff is very friendly and helpful. My wood for the fireplace was replenished every morning. Olympics were on, so I enjoyed the TV, which included HBO. It's on a quiet street, just a short walk to an incredible beach and boardwalk. Saw deer and seals everyday on my early morning walks. A great fish restaurant is a couple of blocks away. Just a few minutes drive to both Carmel and Monterey. The beauty of the area is hard to explain if you haven't been there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John S
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I come here every year for a coference. The staff is wonderful and I love the little cottages. Each cottage has a wood burning fireplace and a full kitchenette. There are also private patios with weber grills. However, the beautifully done common area has an outdoor kitchen with a gas bbq we used one night with friends. It is right across the street from the Asilomar Conference grounds and an easy walk to the beach. Walking out the door to grazing deer is not uncommon either. This is a great place to relax and unwind and it is an easy 5 - 10 minute drive to the adorable Pacific Grove Downtown and to Cannery Row in Monterey.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jaktri
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I showed up in Pacific Grove with our 80 lb. huskey in tow and we couldn't have asked for a more welcoming or accomodating hotel. The staff was great, the room was clean and so, SO well provisioned. We stayed in the smallest room they have, but we still had a fridge, microwave, plates, glasses, coffee maker and they always had a well stocked lobby full of snacks and movies. It was absolutely perfect. There is a short walk to the beach, but if you are in good health, it is nothing you shouldn't be able to manage... we even saw a few deer while making our way down the beach one night! Oh, and the bed was to die for... I haven't slept so well in a long, long time. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HuskyGirlSLC
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband & I took our dog for her first vacation since we adopted her, and the people here were great - they had no qualms about us leaving her in the cottage for short periods, and even while we went up the the aquarium in Monterey. All the people in the front office were friendly, and they have a pretty good selection of free movies to borrow, as well as free snacks, fruit, coffee and tea.

I was a little bothered by the "We speak English here" sign when their hardworking housekeeping staff are mostly Spanish speakers, plus this could be off-putting to people visiting whose native language happens to be Spanish, at least it would be for me if I were Latina, especially since I overheard one staff member speaking another non-English language with some guests.

Other than this and the pervasive fog of Pacific Grove, we loved it - walking distance to Asilomar State Beach and through the beautiful conference center, complete with boardwalks over the sand dunes. It is also only a 10-15 minute drive to either Carmel or Monterey, plus PG itself has some beautiful scenery -- we saw sea otters in at least one cove, and I remember when the species wasn't even expected to survive, coming really close to extinction.

The grounds of the Inn are really pretty, with a zen garden, huge lawn area, large hammock, bbq area, and lovely trees all around. Our bed was really comfortable, and the whole cottage felt very homey. All in all, a great vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bikerlibrarian
andrilman, Owner at Andril Fireplace Cottages, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Our desk sign, "English Spoke Here" seems a little controversial.
Actually, my father (Douglas Smith, 1911-1991) gave it to me
as a child to correct (unsuccessfully, I'm afraid) my poor grammar.
We have kept it on our front desk, as a reminder to continually
Improve ourselves & his work at the Andril Cottages
Kevin Smith, owner (w/ my family Linda, Kirsten & the rest)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#6 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Andril Fireplace Cottages? Share your experiences!