“Excellent Italian food outside of Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of il vecchio

il vecchio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Award winning authentic Italian food on the Monterey Peninsula. We serve dinner every night from 5 pm, Lunch Monday - Friday noon til 1:30 pm and Sunday Brunch every Sunday from 10 am - 1 pm. You will enjoy our wine list with very reasonably priced wonderful wines. We also serve beer. We have a catering menu and host rehearsal dinners and other special occasion large parties. Our food is loved by the locals for being consistently fresh and delicious. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Milan, Italy
“Excellent Italian food outside of Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Went there as our kids were missing Italian food. So they tried the simplest thing: spaghetti with tomato, so simple and so often (almost always) ruined in Italian restaurants around the world (with a ton of garlick, herbs, etc.). These were wonderful: simple, tasty sauce, not overloaded with stuff but with only a handful of ingredients: good San Marzano tomatoes, oil, etc. I tried the Pappardelle with Lamb ragout and these were wonderful too. The owner made a point of stopping at every table and was very warm and welcoming (even more so when he found out we are from Italy). He clearly makes a point of staying as true as possible to Italian cooking, which answers some of the very few negative reviews (yes, we do not put pepper on salad! etc.). Everything positive: service, atmosphere, pricing, taste, presentation, etc.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A true Gem in Pacific Heights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

On our road trip through California we decided to stop off in Monterey for the night before heading off to LA and looking on trip advisor I wanted to eat a good plate of pasta. Where else better to go than Il Vecchio! Truly a gem in this town with the food cooked just like being back at my grandmas house in southern Italy! When we walked in the restaurant was packed so we were very lucky to have been given a table without booking in advance. We were sat in the corner by the window facing the sea and whilst looking through the menu we were brought some bread, olive oil and vinegar which wet our appetite. For starters I had the mussels cooked in white wine and tomato sauce, let me be the first to say, where the hell did you find them massive mussels? They were absolutely delicious as were my wife's fresh mozzarella made with cream. Never eaten tastier mussels than I did tonight (24th July). For main my wife had the risotto cooked with cherry tomatoes and spinach was nice but not as nice as my pappardelle al ragu, which was lamb slow cooked for a few hours and the finished off in a tomato sauce. The chunks of the lamb were mouth watering which melted in your mouth and reminded me of being back at my Grandmas house in Italy. I highly recommend this establishment as without the comments of other customers we would have never tried it out. Forget the bad comments every restaurant has a bad day as with anyone, were only human. But this restaurant has no faults whatsoever. Thanks again! e arrivederci!

Visited July 2013
Lourdes, France
“Excellent Italian, worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We ate here twice on holiday, based on Tripadvisor reviews. The waitress, who had recently moved to Pacific Grove, was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant had a good atmosphere and the food was excellent with a broad menu choice. The second evening was a monday and they do a "blind" 5 course menu for just over 20 dollars. A good way of trying things that otherwise you may not have chosen. Well worth a visit.

rocklin
“INcredible and INexpensive Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

This secret little place offers impeccable service, fresh and delicious food, a fun and inviting atmosphere at little cost. My boyfriend and I were amazed at the inexpensive prices for such incredible Italian food. We shared a salad, the Pesto Gnocchi and Carbonara. It was fresh and surprisingly "light" for Italian (sometimes gnocchi can be dense and heavy). The carbonara sauce was not too rich and was simply perfect. OUr server was fun and it was awesome to see the staff interact with their guests. The menu offers a pluthera of items making it difficult to choose. We will definitelty be back to try more on the menu.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Superb Italian food, incredible ambiance!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Had it not been for the reviews on Trip Advisor, we would have missed this gem on our recent visit to Pacific Grove. What an incredible Italian restaurant experience. From the moment you enter the restaurant, you feel welcomed. The decor is warm and inviting. The owner immediately came over to our table and welcomed us. We started our meal with prosciutto di Parma, so fresh it melted in your mouth. My friend and I also shared the potato leek, onion broccoli soup as well as the beet salad. Delish! For our main entrees our table split the gnocchis, due to the owner's recommendation - the most amazing light, pillowy gnocchis I have had outside of Italy...fantastic! My husband had a carbonara dish as well as a side dish of meatballs. Once again the best Italian dishes I have ever had in the US, and my in-laws are Italian. To top off our meal, we had the classic Italian dessert, tiramisu. Wow!! If you are in the Pacific Grove area, don't miss out on this incredible restaurant. You won't regret it.

Visited July 2013