“One of the best meals I've ever eaten”
Review of il vecchio

il vecchio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Award winning authentic Italian food on the Monterey Peninsula. We serve dinner every night from 5 pm, Lunch Monday - Friday noon til 1:30 pm and Weekend Brunch every Saturday and Sunday from 11 am - 2 pm. You will enjoy our wine list with very reasonably priced wonderful wines. We also serve beer. We have a catering menu and host rehearsal dinners and other special occasion large parties. Our food is loved by the locals for being consistently fresh and delicious. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is not the most expensive meal I've ever had, but it is without a doubt one of the best. The owner explained the special salmon to me before I ordered. It had the crunchiest crust and was so tender - perfectly cooked. Everything else, the ambiance, the service, the wine were excellent. I wish I lived locally so I could try other dishes.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Gathered with a large Scilian family and friends and enjoyed a variety of dishes that riviled in comparison to Italy. Everything we ordered made from scratch, fresh with beautiful herbs and spices. They accommodated our party of 12 graciously, service was perfecto!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

On Mondays this place offers a five course dinner for a flat rate ($22) and the only choices you have is the main entre (pork loin or salmon) and the wine (extra, but not expensive). We enjoyed the dinner even though I would rate the food as good-not-great. Partly because of personal taste (eggplant is not something I care for, and that was the only pasta choice), and partly because the pork loin was a bit overcooked. The soup was excellent, the salad interesting and the appetizers were both interesting and good. The soup was probably the best course, really tasty, served hot. We both found the loin to be tough from overcooking.
But all in all, we enjoyed the total meal. Given the number of courses, it was a good value.
Thought it was interesting that we had to request bread and waited for water, and service was somewhat classic Italian: the wait staff spent some time visiting with each other while we waited. But they were courteous and charming, and we enjoyed the experience. Also they did steered us to a small table for two to save the not-much larger tables for four, and then later seated other customers (regulars?) where they asked.
Next time I would probably go on a night that the full menu is available and order things that I like instead of taking whatever they decided would be the special.
I would try it again. My wife is less inclined to do so.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Even though they have gf listed on their menu- it does no make them safe for celiacs. I read many excellent reviews elsewhere for this restaurant. The food was delicious but does not rate high with me because I was sick afterwards. Place is small and tables are very close together.

1  Thank CinAndy
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our hotel recommended this restaurant for a very good rustic Italian meal, they were right! We went on a Sunday evening with a reservation. We were seated promptly and had great service throughout the meal. We shared the mussels, so plump and full of flavour! I had the lamb ragout pasta and my husband had the sausage and cannellini beans. Both meals were full of rich flavours, so tasty, reminded us of our visits to Southern Italy. The only complaint was the tables are so close together, we had to talk above our neighbours conversation.