“Very good food and well priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of il vecchio

il vecchio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Award winning authentic Italian food on the Monterey Peninsula. We serve dinner every night from 5 pm, Lunch Monday - Friday noon til 1:30 pm and Sunday Brunch every Sunday from 10 am - 1 pm. You will enjoy our wine list with very reasonably priced wonderful wines. We also serve beer. We have a catering menu and host rehearsal dinners and other special occasion large parties. Our food is loved by the locals for being consistently fresh and delicious. We look forward to seeing you soon.
san antonio, texas
“Very good food and well priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a great find. A small, independently owned Italian restaurant where everything is both made from scratch and the owner is there to make sure the quality is on target. I had the rock cod in pesto sauce; my wife had the gnocchi pomodoro; and my son had the canneloni. All were excellent. The service was great. What's not to like about this place! I would go back and I would recommend it to others.

• Visited July 2012

“Horrible Owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

When we walked in, we asked if they served meatballs because my kids wanted them. The answer, yes...so we stayed. After waiting for 25 minutes, we finally ordered. Another 30 minutes later, the adults' food arrived...nothing for the kids! The waitress went to the kitchen and came back and told us they don't have meatballs and tried to give my kids plain spaghetti. The manager was great and took care of our meal. The owner happened to be there dining with a group and told us it was our fault, we should have known that the restaurant didn't have meatballs because it was a roman restaurant, not an Italian one! We left with two hungry, cranky kids and as we drove away, we looked at the awning above the restaurant and it said, "traditional Italian dining!" First time ever complaining at a restaurant and that owner's attitude compelled me to write my first negative review!!

6 Thank KimMichaud
“Monday special dinner needs some work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Il Vecchio is one our favorite restaurants. Last week, we tried the new Monday evening $20 special - basically you get whatever the chef decides to serve. This sounded like fun, and as always the food was great. The problem was that we felt very rushed. We ordered and the first course came within 2 minutes. As we finished each course, the next serving was being presented, actually a couple of times the next course came before we had actually finished our dish. All four of us at the table commented how rushed we felt. I hope that they get this issue fixed soon. Otherwise, the place is still great. We will go back to see how they are dealing this problem soon. As I said, this is one of our favorite restaurants!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Djrober
Vancouver, Canada
“OK, average italian food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I ordered the pasta that was home made. I liked the texture. The sauce was standard, nothing flavorable or memorable. The appetizer salads are presented poorly in that it's just some vegetables in plate thrown together. It literally looks thrown, not tossed together if you can envision that. The food is home style which is fine and I wasn't expecting fancy but it's really basic. Service was not awesome. We had sporadic waiters which generally is fine but it was the way the orders were taken that was odd. We ordered our salads then the waiter said ok, I'll come back for your main. Then while I was eating my salad and with food in our mouths, the waiter came back and said I can take your order for your mains. So we put down our forks, picked up our menu and finished chewing to order. Never seen that before in a restaurant. We say by the dessert station. They did not look appetizing. It was also very basic looking, like something I could make and I'm not an awesome baker. The decor was nice and rustic and that's probably the best thing about the restaurant. We walked around Pacific Grove before dinner and there are many, many restaurants you can find on a Sunday night and easily walk into with little wait. Many were in cute Victorian style homes as well.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Vacay_10
monterey
“Tremendous Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

The owners are hands on, and it shows. Very welcoming, fun atmosphere, fair pricing and excellent Italian food. If you try the Monday dinner, they will just start bringing the dishes, all of which we have loved. Such a step up from most of the Italian places on the Peninsula. Go early to get in.

• Visited June 2012