“They have not attained that fine line between efficiency and rushing the customer.”
Review of il vecchio

il vecchio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Award winning authentic Italian food on the Monterey Peninsula. We serve dinner every night from 5 pm, Lunch Monday - Friday noon til 1:30 pm and Sunday Brunch every Sunday from 11 am - 2 pm. You will enjoy our wine list with very reasonably priced wonderful wines. We also serve beer. We have a catering menu and host rehearsal dinners and other special occasion large parties. Our food is loved by the locals for being consistently fresh and delicious. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Stateline, Nevada
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Our second time here. Food still great, service still has minor, but annoying issues. They have not attained that fine line between efficiency and rushing the customer.

Once our entire group arrived we were seated promptly.

Within a minute or so our server came by and asked if we wanted some wine. My wife told her we just sat down and needed some time to look at the wine menu and say our hellos. She understood and told us about the two specials.

In an appropriate amount of time she returned and asked if we had made any decisions. We ordered the polenta appetizer along with zucchini ripiene appetizer. Our friends ordered salads. Our fault, but we wanted all of us to share the apps but the server brought salads and apps out together. Again, totally our fault in not explaining how we wanted the food served.

Once ordered our apps and salad came out quickly. Our bread was replenished along with the water several times throughout the meal. The polenta and the zucchini appetizers were excellent. Great flavor on the zucchini, I would definitely order them again.

Our entrée's consisted of the pork special and the pork spare ribs over polenta. Our friends had the cannelloni and ragu agnello. They both said they liked their dishes and finished them all.

My pork special was very flavorful. Good rosemary flavors along with mushrooms or olive tapenade etc. I thought it was totally encased in a bread crust, ala beef wellington, but it was just a slice with crust. It was very good and I would order it again.

My wife's ribs were very tender. Great flavors along with an appropriate amount.

She would later have the lemon tart along with coffee for dessert. She said the tart was "tart" but very flavorful.

SERVICE-

Like my first line says they have not reached that comfortable line between being rushed and efficiency.

It started with what wine we wanted as soon as we sat down. As soon as we ordered our appetizers they came out very quickly. Good timing between salads and entrée. During dinner as my friend was nearing the end of her meal, another server came by and started to take here plate. She had to stop her and tell her she was still eating. Once the entrées were finished our server brought the dessert menu-no time to relax after the meal.

Again like last time, one meal did not come out at the same time as the others. This was my wife's ribs and the delay should not have been an issue since I am sure they had to slow cook them before the evening meals. As I mentioned this happened last time we dined there.

My wife and I both felt rushed. I know they are still growing and learning and I hope this will improve.

WE WILL BE BACK. The food is great the service is good but not the best that is why I did not give it 5 stars. I see the owner wandering around and speaking to people about their meals etc. I know they want their restaurant to be the best so I hope they can work out these very minor issues.

I think they are becoming very popular. You really need to call for a reservation. If you walk in you may have a long wait.

Like my last review you need to go here. Some of the best Italian in the area.

• Visited December 2011

Monterey, California
“Good Value”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Excellent all around, but the word is getting out, so you need to get there a little early, even though they have a fair number of tables. Very reasonable prices. Sort of a neighborhood trattoria kind of feel to it. The one drawback is the lack of seafood but other than that it is outstanding on food, service and feel.

• Visited July 2011
sacramento
“Not ready for prime time”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We read the good reviews on Yelp and thought we'd give this place a try. It is always nice to find a new place. The website made it sound really inviting and good. We were able to easily get a reservation at 6:00 on a Friday night with only a couple of day's notice. When we arrived, it appeared that the welcoming staff was a bit unorganized. The girl was very nice, but perhaps a bit "green" and didn't quite know how to speak to guests. There was really no problem except that they can benefit from more training and experience. The effort was there.

As we entered the restaurant, the smell was fantastic, and we were drooling with anticipation of the meal. My husband and I each ordered a pasta (carbonara and gnocchi) and shared an entree (spuntatura di maiale). The serving size of the pasta was generous. They were both good, but not so fantastic that I can't wait to go back. The ribs were the same. Over all the server was very attentive and friendly. She, too, will benefit from more experience and extra training. No complaints. We liked her.

There was one thing, however, that really bothered us about the restaurant. That night the place was fairly busy. It seemed that every table was full. There was a man that walked around from table to table (appeared to be either the owner or the Maître d'). He carried a bottle of wine with him and asked the guests, "Are you an appreciater of wine?" Then he would explain that he was serving everyone a complimentary glass of wine. He went to EVERY table around us EXCEPT ours. One table said they didn't care for wine but they liked beer. He gave them a glass of beer. Now we know that he saw us, because he walked right past us more than once, but just ignored us. We were looking forward to him coming to us and giving us a glass also, but it never happened.

I wonder why? I don't think there was anything wrong with our appearance. We appeared to be an average, middle-aged couple out for a nice dinner. Well, he must have had a reason. Whatever it is, it's not good enough for us to return to his restaurant.

2 Thank wanda&ted
San Francisco bay area, California
“good value, excellent italian”
Reviewed December 1, 2011

loved the ambiance, and the food. It was very crowded last night but not very noisy..surprising as there are few soft surfaces. decor is a wild mix of chairs, old wood repurposed and hand made table tops. Wedged in between the indoor dog agility workout spot and the Pacific Grove tourist information place, it would be easy to miss. Street parking. Our group had appetizer of salami and cheeses, a decent house wine (Parsonage) and four entrees: cannaloni (excellent!!), lamb and pasta (reported to be very good), sausage and canelli beans (sausage patties a surprise...but also very good) and a grilled lamb dish. the tab: just at $100 for the four of us.
$10 corkage btw....and a crazy wonderful sounding desert menu (we were too full to attempt). we will return for sure. reservations accepted (even for two)

carmel california
“Great neighborhood style restaurant”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Relaxed, friendly Italian restaurant with very good food at a reasonable price. If you have to wait for a table, you are likely to be offered some cheese, salami, wine. None of the pretensions of other Italian restaurants in the Monterey area. It has much the feel of eating as a guest in a friend's home.