“Not Just for vegetarians!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Julia's

Julia's
Ranked #26 of 79 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Good for: Kids, Families with children
“Not Just for vegetarians!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Wow, this place is incredible! I'm not a vegetarian myself but the food was so tasty and well cooked that it was probably my most enjoyable meal of our trip down Highway 1. We went on a Sunday night when the food is a 'chef's choice' 4 course meal. It was really nice to sit back and relax knowing our food choice was taken care of and the service by Robert was both personal and considerate to our needs (as my girlfriend required a gluten free meal). We started with a scrummy tomato and lentil soup followed by incredible sun dried tomato and garlic bread (gluten-free for my girlfriend). The main course was a super tasty serving of vegetarian enchiladas and roasted vegetables. The dessert was the perfect end to the meal with a chocolate brownie with salted caramel ice cream and fruits. I understand that the rest of the week the restarant has a full menu you can choose from so we can't wait to go back and try more food soon! Chef Michael came out to see us inbetween courses to check that everything was ok and to explain what he was going to freshly cook for us in the next course. He's privately cooked for an amazing list of celebrities over many years and uses all this experience to cook food that is worth much more that the great value prices they charge at Julia's! The restaurant itself is located at the back of a small shopping square in between Trader Joes and Safeways so make sure you double check the address before you leave. If you're in the Monterey area at all you MUST check this resturant out and let your senses take you on a incredible food journey! Go NOW!!

Visited February 2014

Tucson
“Fabulous Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Found this restaurant on Happy Cow and am very happy I tried it. Stopped by for lunch forgetting it was only open for dinner but it smelled so good inside that I went back for dinner. So glad I did.
I had the Faux Chicken with kale & wide noodles dish and it was GREAT! And the accompanying "bread" was actually like a pizza pie of bread. Was it delicious! Make sure to make reservations as it only has about 12 tables. Wait staff is excellent also. And the owner graciously took the time to talk to me. Will definitely go back next time I'm in the area. Payment is by cash or debit only. Located in a shopping center next to Trader Joes on Forest Ave.

• Visited December 2013
Englewood, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Miss this Hidden Gem Near Carmel, Ca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

What are you waiting for? You and your senses are in for a wonderful surprise at this understated restaurant. Creative vegan at it's best. We had the feeling that a gourmet chef was preparing a feast just for us. Limited menu- but in this case, that's a virtue! We were started with a hummous blend on fresh-baked flat bread, crispy yet tender and moist inside. (We are hummous mavens!) This appetizer alone justified the meal. And then the soup, the mains, and then the dessert- (Chocolate mousse with a oh-so-delicate avocado whipped base) all were part of a sensory crescendo. Night two: Another great meal, although this time, a fine guitarist gently performed.
What more can you want? Oh, and the price? Less than $25/each.!!! (We did not drink wine, I must admit. ) Bottom line: There should be a line around the block for this place. Enjoy!

• Visited October 2013
Patagonia, Arizona
“Love is at work here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been eating at Julia's about once a week since moving to this area. It's not the greatest food I've ever had or the most gourmet but when you put all the ingredients that Julia's brings to the table together it is one of my favorite places to eat. Michael, the owner/chef, who has been the chef for people like Jimmy Hendrix and Orson Welles should be retired and just enjoying his golden years but when he and his artist wife located to Pacific Grove he couldn't find a restaurant he liked so he opened his own! So he's doing this for love and it shows in the quality, quantity and cost of the meals and when you see him out in the dining room running around helping serve when they are busy. They usually have a fixed price deal for $22 where you get soup, salad, entree and dessert and on Sunday's you get all that for $16.50 in their family style dining. The soups are hearty and flavorful, the salads are fresh and the entrees are usually excellent and full of wonderful fresh, local and organic vegetables and other exotic things like wild mushrooms, fruit, etc. This weekend I noticed he was serving these unusual peppers that have just started showing up at the local farmer's markets so Michael definitely shops the farmer's markets and brings the interesting stuff they have to his menu. You get bread with every meal that comes out more like a pizza without the toppings than your typical bread. It is covered with garlic and you can tell when your bread is about to come because you get this waft of roasted garlic smell coming out of the kitchen! Half of the plate of bread is whole wheat and the other half white and it comes with some homemade hummus. This last weekend he was experimenting with a soy hummus. Michael is doing this for passion so he loves to experiment.

The place is tiny, maybe 8 to 10 tables. The service is good as Rob the normal waiter is very friendly and a long time local and knowledgeable of all things Carmel. Sometimes if they get slammed then the service can be a bit slow.

So if you like vegetarian cooking I recommend this place. I drag my meat eating coworkers to it too and some of them have now become regulars. I only hesitate to review this place so positively because I don't want to have too many people crowding out my favorite weekend spot!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pebble Beach, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Change the front of the house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We have been frequent visitors of Julia's since they opened. The food continues to be fine. The atmosphere is OK, PG funky, needs cleaning and redecorating. But don't let that sway your decision. What should sway your decision is the front of the house::: It's the waiter....Robert.
He works alone, he's the maiter d, the waiter, the busser, the sommelier, the salad maker, cashier and he answers the phone and does the take out! Seems to be a decent chap but he is extremely forgetful, inattentive and often much too personal about himself (do we really need to know about your Scorpion party!) Unprofessional, scattered, slow, and poor at math.
Just so you know, they only take cash. If you are the only diners in the restaurant, the service isn't bad. Restaurant Impossible:: what an interesting episode Julia's would make.

• Visited June 2013