“Dinner out at Max's Grill”
Review of Max's Grill

Max's Grill
Ranked #11 of 84 Restaurants in Pacific Grove
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2019

We hadn't been to Max's Grill in a few years (for no good reason), but since our son and his partner were visiting, and I was tired of cooking (!), I decided it was time to visit this restaurant again. Their website lets you make online reservations (which I love). All four of us loved our dinners! I had the prix fixe dinner (starter, entree, and dessert for $25 -- a total bargain) (I had the grilled sand dabs, which were perfectly done), the spouse had the butternut squash ravioli, and my son and his partner had the salmon (with pesto) special. My glass of prosecco was good, and the kids each had a glass of the night's wine special (a red blend from Lodi) which was excellent. My creme brulee was yummy, the spouse also had a (larger) creme brulee, my son had the chocolate mousse cake, and his partner had the brie with poached pears. We were all stuffed, delightfully so! The service was as good as I've had anywhere, and the restaurant was not noisy! (Thanks be...) The bill, all in for four of us, was about $180 (plus tip), which is fair, based on the general cost of meals out, particularly in this area. I heartily recommend this place!!!

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed March 29, 2019

Service was excellent and food was great. Recommend the crab cake if on the menu for the night. Enjoyed a wonderful relaxed dinner with family

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 26, 2019

We did not have a reservation but they were able to seat us. The menu ranges from seafood to chicken to duck. The crab cakes were fair but the tempera sand dabs were excellent. The calamari steak good and so was the chicken piccata. This place is not fancy but worth the visit. Prices are reasonable.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 12, 2019

We were in Pacific Grove to watch a golf tournament. A hotel guest mentioned Max’s - we just assumed it was a local diner. But the food was very good and much fancier than we expected. The atmosphere was casual so I didn’t feel out of place in jeans and rain coat (it was a rainy day). I’ll visit Max’s again on our next visit.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 7, 2019

I have no idea about the history of the name of this wonderful restaurant. But, it is neither a grill nor a diner as the name would suggest. Rather it is a really fine dining experience in a rather pedestrian storefront setting. It is fresh, locally-sourced California food with a Japanese influence. The menu is rather short, but well-focused and moderately priced. Entrees (other than the steak) are all under $25. Similarly, the wine list is also short and well focused with moderate mark-ups. Service is friendly and professional. The ingredients, the cooking, and the presentation are all high quality and a really good value. We make it to Pacific Grove once a year and "discovered" Max's last year. We were there again a week ago. It was even better than we remembered. If it's on the menu, you NEED to order the tempura sand dabs (either as an appetizer or entree). Absolute perfection!

Date of visit: January 2019