“nice dinner”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I can for dinner. While seating and actually being greated and asked for a beverage order did seem to take longer than it should, once we got started things went well. Our waiter was pleasant and helpful. I ordered the lamb. My boyfriend ordered thr rib eye. While neither was the best rib eye or lamb we have eaten, it was good. The meat was a little more seasoned that I prefer but it wasn't overpowering. It just overtook the flavor of the meat slightly.The atmosphere is nice, the employees are great. Its a nice restaurant and not badly porced for what you get. They also have a nice wine selection. The restaurant doesn seem to have an asian flare.

1  Thank Takemeanywhere

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We had a romantic dinner at a table by the windows at Max's at about 7:30 pm on a Saturday night.We made a reservation by Internet, and Yuko, the co-owner confirmed. It was clearly very popular with most tables already occupied. The soup of the day, mushroom bisque, was outstanding with a generous portion of truffle added to bring out the flavor. We ordered another appetizer, butternut squash ravioli. The pasta was especially delicious, and the sauce was delicate and sweet. We also had the roast pork ribs appetizer. The meat almost fell off the ribs, and it was so soft that we wondered if a pressure cooker had been used. The service was exceptionally pleasant and friendly. We are especially attracted to family-operated restaurant such as this. Max's is very highly recommended for a great dinner.

2  Thank Staidthere
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Food was very nice. Tempura Sandabs, Lobster Spring Roll, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Rack of Lamb, and my own wine for a corkage fee and ice cream with raspberry sauce with a candle for desset. Yuko, the wife of the chef, was most pleasent and we talked for quite a while. Not busy on a Sunday night and kind of late for the area. Would go back if in the area again.

1  Thank barry0315
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed in Pacific Grove on a quiet Wednesday night in October during our Honeymoon and checked into our hotel fairly late in the evening, we wanted to eat somewhere locally ASAP. I quickly brought up Tripadvisor on my phone and it walked us straight to Max's, and I'm so glad it did.

The service was superb, our waiter took us straight to a table and gave an excellent wine recommendation. He talked us through the excellent, locally sourced menu and helped us choose some really delicious courses.

My wife chose the 'sand dabs', fish that we've never heard of in the UK and really enjoyed them. I started with the corn chowder, which was creamy and delicious, followed by a beautifully cooked chicken dish.

If you're in Pacific Grove or Monterey, Max's is definitely worth a visit. Excellent service, brilliant food!

2  Thank Owen S
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Found this restaurant via Trip Advisor on the last night of our holiday and we are so glad we did. The service was great, very friendly and informative (we were recommended a glass of the Sauvignon Blanc which was very good).
We shared the Spring Rolls to start which were excellent and then we had the Chicken Alfredo and Chicken Piccata, both were delicious. The portion sizes are ample and we could not fit in dessert. They have a 3 course Prix Fixe menu which is really good value and the wines are well priced.

We liked the slightly old fashioned decor, and when we are back in Pacific Grove (already planning a return trip in 2 years time) we will definitely visit again.