“Don't miss this place!”

Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Don't miss this place!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a wonderful California/French restaurant with a Japanese twist! Don't miss the yummy crispy spring roll or the fresh, crisp salads! This charming little place in quaint Pacific Grove fills up fast but is worth the trip. From the relaxing ambiance - to the fresh and flavorful menu; Max's Grill was a great choice for this tourist!!
There is no bar or outside seating, but I could not seem to de-select the "terrible" option! I experienced nothing terrible on my visit!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank marilynmoha

Corning New York
“What a meal!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

First off, Dave was our waiter and he was excellent. The menu was varied and all of the food was delicious. According to Dave, Max is the chef and he does it all from baking his own bread to preparing all dishes. We arrived at 5pm and thought we may have the place to ourselves, but it quickly filled and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Warning - Max's is closed on Mondays.

Visited July 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
“Excellent food in an intimate setting”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We had reservations on a Friday night, and were seated promptly when we arrived. We started our meals with the baby spinach salads with blue cheese, toasted walnuts, and pomegranate dressing. A light and refreshing way to prepare for our main course.

My husband had the Wahoo (Hawaiian) fish, which he said was cooked perfectly. I had the Cioppino - prawns, scallops, fish, and mussels in a saffron-tomato broth that was to-die for. Although the shellfish were cooked perfectly, the fish seemed a little on the dry side, but I imagine it's difficult to get everything just right in what is essentially a fish "stew". No matter, I could have consumed the broth by the quart, it was that good! It was served with a toasted bread slathered with a pesto sauce. (Personally, I would have preferred to have less pesto, or maybe have it on the side, but I'm sure it's a matter of preference.)

Although we were more than full, we wanted to try a dessert, so we finished our meal with a mango mousse. Light and flavorful, it was the perfect end to a wonderful meal.

Eric, our server, was a delight and we enjoyed talking with him throughout the evening. We also met Max's wife, a gracious, welcoming hostess whom we could see keeping a close eye on everything through the dinner service.

All-in-all, our experience at Max's was a great one, and we are looking forward to returning!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank jgotteach
Orange County
“Fine Pacific Grove Dining at Max's”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Pacific Grove is a very special place. Mellow, friendly, beautifully situated, it gets lots of visitors but has not become a Pacific coast theme park vying for tourist dollars. Its genuine qualities are what make it such a delight to visit. Max's is in that tradition. The menu is sophisticated and appropriately priced. The wine list is good and fairly priced, the service friendly, informed and unpetentious. This venue is open limited hours, Tu-Sun 5-9.
I particularly like the Duck Our Way with confit and duck mousse raviolis. Do look at their inventive menu. http://www.maxgrill.com/sample_menu.htm
The have a $25 prix fixe menu as well as a la carte. I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Visited June 2013
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We are having dinner at Max's on a Sat night, why there is no wait? I don't know. I had the cioppino, it was sweet, a nice change from what I have had in other restaurants. My husband had the rack of lamb, mustard encrusted and done perfectly. YUM. So glad we came!

• Visited June 2013