“Fabulous!”

Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We are having dinner at Max's on a Sat night, why there is no wait? I don't know. I had the cioppino, it was sweet, a nice change from what I have had in other restaurants. My husband had the rack of lamb, mustard encrusted and done perfectly. YUM. So glad we came!

• Visited June 2013

“Everything was good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm writing a review of Max's Grill because I read a bad one about their service and I wanted everyone to know that our service was absolutely not bad. If anything it was a bit too prompt. The owner lady was very friendly and helpful.
I chose the price fixe option. I had the pot roast which was a bit too rich for me but my wife and daughter chose other options that were very tasty.
We went in the middle of the week and were a bit early but there were not many patrons the whole time we were there. I don't know what that means.
The food was leaning toward California fancy but not overly so. A good choice.

• Visited May 2013
Volcano, California
“Our first visit--But not our last!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

In prior years we have enjoyed several meals each at Passionfish and Fish Wife, and occasionally at other venues in Pacific Grove. But after last night's meal at Max's Grill, we might pass the others by and eat here instead.
We started with an appetizer of delicate tempura prawns. Marvelous! My wife then had the Rack of Lamb and I had the Cioppino. Both were SUPERBLY DELICIOUS! And each dish was an artistic presentation on the plate.
The service was attentive, but never intruding.
Not to be missed!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Paul J
Scotts Valley CA
“Good prix fixe and sunset specials ......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We came early so we could be at the Art Studio ceremony by 7, so we had the restaurant to ourselves, even on a Friday night. Although one of the couples is known to the owners, I don't think that the food or service was better or worse as a result.

Entrees are around $18-$20, which seems a bit high to me ........

A much better deal is the prix fixe - appetizer or soup or salad; entree; and dessert or wine for $25, plus tax and tip. The food is good ~ fresh, flavorful, nicely plated, although I wouldn't say there is anything exceptional. Perhaps it's because everything was prepared the way it should be - crispy shrimp spring rolls are crispy (and shrimp!), not greasy; chicken piccata tender with a sauce with a secret ingredient (home piccata makers at the table remarked that there is something more that is not included in the standard recipe, although they were at a loss to figure out what it is); bread was unexceptional; fish special that night was sanddabs, a local favorite and hard to mess up.

However, one thing really stood out ~ the Hawaiian mango mousse. Very strong flavor of mango, not overly sweet with a nice texture. It was a great ending to a good meal. The portion sizes were good ~ we were able to finish everything without being stuffed or ending hungry. I like being able to eat everything at a decent price and not pay extra just to be overserved with food and have leftovers.

Another option that we didn't try is the Sunset dinner, which I believe is Sunday through Thursday, early, something like 5pm to 7pm. The entrees are a little less expensive at that time.

18% gratuity is automatically added (since we were six diners) .......and since we all had the prix fixe, it was easy to just throw down three credit cards and the waiter just divided the total by three (the boys paid for their girls !)

For a nice evening, I would say that the prix fixe meal will be ideal; you'll have good food and won't break the bank. For a couple, one could even split the glass of wine and split the dessert and still get the complete Max's experience without overeating and without overspending.

btw, for any who are visiting during the winter and are worried about being the only diners on a Sunday or weekday, don't despair. It seems to be the norm during the off-season. It doesn't mean the food is bad or the restaurant is bad .... that's just the way it is ! So, enjoy Pacific Grove !!! (We were concerned about needing reservations for 5:30 on a Friday in the spring .... and we were wrong ! and the food was no less tasty !!)

• Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“lovely little family restaurant...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

after a hard day of visiting the Aquarium, walking along the beach/rocks, shopping, i was exhausted...life is tough...retreated here - although i was alone, i was treated very well; food great, service lovely, music Sinatra and friends...so relaxing and comfortable and the perfect rest for my feet and belly...small but interesting menu....would go back on a return visit...

• Visited December 2012