As many other reviewers have noted, this is an absolutely gorgeous property with easy access to the beach as well as Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel, and the Big Sur coast. That said, I can't give it much more than an "average" rating due to the size of the room, in-room noise levels, and the poorly lit grounds. I don't know if our room was typical in size, but be warned that if it is, the rooms are very much on the small side. I can't imagine staying here more than two or three nights. I also agree with the assessment of many other reviewers that the rooms are very poorly insulated against noise. Try to reserve an upper floor, corner room or you will suffer. Even though we had such a room, our next door neighbors' fussy baby sounded like he/she was crying right next to our bed. To mitigate the room size and noise, try to take advantage of the beauty of the Monterey Peninsula and the Central Coast and spend as much time as you can away from the Conference Grounds as possible. Lastly, be very, very careful when driving or walking around the property after dark. The roads and driveways are very poorly lit and have short sight lines due to their twisting and curving about the place. I know there are a number of foot paths that cross the grounds, but that doesn't seem to keep people from walking on the roads in the dark. Even driving slowly and cautiously I came very close to hitting pedestrians when leaving or coming back to my room at night. If you are on foot, be sure to either wear reflective clothing or carry a flashlight with you and keep your kids close. I used to live in Monterey and know there are many other places to stay that better suit my needs and comfort levels. I won't say Asilomar is bad, but it doesn't really suit me and I doubt I'll ever stay here again. Give it a try and if you like it, then good for you. Me? I'll pick someplace where I can't hear people snoring in the next room - even if it means I'll have to drive to the beach to watch the sunset.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This refuge by the sea is a tranquil oceanfront retreat cradled by pine forests and white sand beaches. Situated along the shoreline of California's famed Monterey Bay, Asilomar offers historic lodging with views of the forest, surf and sand, plus unique conference spaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Asilomar Conference Grounds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asilomar Conference Grounds Hotel Pacific Grove
- Asilomar Conference Grounds Pacific Grove
- Asilomar Conference Center
- Asilomar Hotel