Asilomar Conference Grounds
Pacific Gardens Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$160
$140
Butterfly Grove Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$141
Sunset Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$139
$135
Hotels.com
Lovers Point Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$119
$111
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$178
$161
Travelocity
$109
$88
Lighthouse Lodge
Rosedale Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$102
$99
Orbitz.com
Monterey Peninsula Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$129
Deer Haven Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$120
$116
All reviewsdining hallsocial halljulia morganthe main lodgehistoric roomsstate parksand dunesconference groundshuge fireplacefamily reunionrustic charmrent bikeshearst castleroaring fireboard gamestwin bedsthe pacific ocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have stayed at Asilomar many times; in the old Julia Morgan rooms, the newer rooms, and the motel rooms; while they are all fine, my preference is the older rooms; very clean, plenty of room, and lots of character. The older rooms are a great deal, especially on the monterey bay; and the rooms include a very decent breakfast in the main hall. The location, and proximity to great beaches cannot be beat; also, you are on the bus line that can take you all over the peninsula, including carmel.This lovely center is walking distance to Spanish bay, in pebble beach, where rooms start at $600; and here we payed $120, including tax; the best deal going!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ayseak
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our second stay at the historical Asilomar. I love this lodging. The grounds are so beautiful. Walking around the grounds you might easily see deer. A short walk away you have the beautiful ocean. The main lodge is beautiful and full of activity.

Our rooms have always been very large and roomy. This time we requested a fireplace and we were not disappointed with the pine trees and view of the ocean.

There are no phones or TV's in the room.....that is a PLUS. You might want to travel with a coffee pot if you are a die hard coffee drinker. Breakfast was included in our package and that was yummy.

There were 3 family reunions here .....I thought that was a great idea.

2  Thank debnpaulo
Reviewed December 28, 2012

As my husband said to me when we entered our room. Charming, rustic and dedicated to rest and reflection - the website description. I think a better way to describe the ammenities is, simple rooms not intended for those seeking luxury, but rather a place to read and sleep. I venture to say it's quiet, but I could hear my neighbors easily, even though they were quiet. Without question, the surrounding property is amazing. Fantastic boardwalk that leads you to the ocean in just a couple of minutes.

We purchased a travelzoo voucher for our stay. We received a discount of $99/nt and free breakfast. The price was fair, given the location. The room we were in I believe was the standard modern room and not the rustic, although it felt like an ode to the 70's. Again, simple rooms, with nothing to boast about. The bed and bedding was fine. Flooring was plain, industrial carpeting (I only noticed because it was a little hard); bathrooms were in need of repair; paint, caulking, and new doors. Hinges were loose and falling apart, nicks on caulking and tile. The vent was full of dust.

When I go on vacation, I enjoy staying at hotels (or even motels) where management takes pride in how rooms are maintained - in the same manner that I take with my own home. If I have guests, I do what is necessary to make sure they feel at home. I didn't see evidence of that kind of care in the room we stayed in. As mentioned, simple, no-nonsense room. Nothing special about it.

With that said, my husband and I enjoyed hiking in the surrounding area; we spent much of the time outside of the room. Lots of good restaurants in Pacific Grove, which is just minutes away. Charming town.

The free breakfast was good. We were seated at a large table with other folks. Depending on your comfort level (whether you like privacy or can dig eating with a bunch of strangers), we were delighted to chat briefly with the other guests.

It would seem like this place would be great for families, but because the walls are thin, I'd only recommend this place for quiet families. For couples, the surrounding area is fantastic and so romantic, especially if you can catch the sunset or sunrise.

4  Thank destination2fun
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed at the Asilomar Conference Grounds three nights in mid-Dec. 2012 for a conference. Because we were quite busy much of the time, my time outside of the buildings were limited to walking between the guest rooms, dining hall, and conference rooms.

The rooms were rustic and very comfortable. Wi-Fi was available but I enjoyed the peaceful quiet of the evenings. My room had a functional fireplace with wood supplied on demand.

The meals were cafeteria style and quite tasty. A strong and appropriate emphasis on local California ingredients.

The conference rooms were spare but comfortable. Unfortunately, ours lacked microphones and a PA system which made it difficult to hear soft-spoken presenters.

The high point of the stay was two late afternoon/sunset strolls on Asilomar State Beach, which is a adjacent to the conference grounds. This is part of a National Marine Reserve so the aquatic life is rich and varied. Many seabirds of many species frequent the beach and surf. One evening at sunset I watched a group of otters drift in from the sea to a protected cove for the night.

Such a scenic and peaceful location!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank moudan
Reviewed December 17, 2012

As soon as you pull into the Asilomar Hotel, you can tell it is unique! The beach is across the street and the hotel ground well maintained beautiful. This hotel was undergoing restorations when we were there. The sidewalks were being repaved, and some of the buildings were being remodeled. However, this did not take away from our stay. The grounds were lush with trees and brush and the short walk to the beach was lovely. The hotel lobby had a roaring fire and a gorgeous Christmas tree. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room had a roaring fireplace and endless wood at our disposal. We woke to find two deer resting outside our room. The breakfast room was set up kind of like cruise ship style. We sat with people we didn't know but it was ok. i would have rather had a private table but the food was good. Overall, our stay was comfortable. I was a bit nervous after reading some of the negative reviews. We stayed in the newer wing which was across the street from the hotel lobby,but we had no problems with service, our room, or anything else. This hotel is in Pacific Grove which is close to both Carmel and Monterey. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Make sure when booking to be asked to stay in the new wings.
1  Thank pnkdrgn