“our first time”

Seven Gables Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
“our first time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two days and wished we were going to stay many more. Everything about Seven Gables is first class from the exceptional service to the exceptional room with the view you only see in movies and magazines. This was our first venture into staying at a place like the seven gables and we both said that we left wanting to come back. the cleanliness of the entire property went right along with the beauty the inn had. The breakfast was great as well as the wine at four and cookies at eight. If you are going to be in this area Stay here and stay for a few days. It will be one of the best experiences you ever had.

4 Thank Janitzki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 30th anniversary. I grew up 20 miles away and always wanted to stay here. The place does not disappoint, from the service to the accommodations. The views are fantastic. It was hard coming back to Texas. We've already decided that whenever we are in the area this is the only place we'll consider staying.

3 Thank WestTex_girl
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday with my husband. The called several days in advance to see if there were any preparations they could make so that our stay would be a great experience (reservations etc.) They also sent an email to explain where to park and check in since there are several buildings on the property. It was great to know what to expect.

The staff is attentive and truly wants your stay to be perfect. We stayed in the Crespi room, which has a breathtaking view through large windows. Sitting in bed you face the ocean. What could be better? The decor was just beautiful. Our bed was very comfy and they provided top notch bath supplies and MANY towels.

Almost right away we went for a walk across the street and over to the ocean. We enjoyed the wine and cheese from 4 -6 in the evening. It was more than wine and cheese with vegetables and dip and some sweets. They made a last minute reservation for us at the Charter House and managed to find us a table with a view of the water at sunset. They MUST have a connection there. We were thrilled. The Seven Gables also treated me to a birthday dessert at the restaurant. We returned to the Seven Gables in time for warm cookies and milk, which they serve every evening. In our room they had turned down the bed and left a menu for breakfast. Ahhh....

Breakfast was very yummy. We sat at a table by the window to eat.

I highly recommend a stay at the Seven Gables. My birthday weekend could not have been more perfect. I told my husband that my birthday was everything I had dreamed and more. One more tip: I understand that once you've stayed there, they send you emails with very good discounts for additional stays.

Room Tip: Look on their web site, which shows each room and its views. The main house and beach house are clo...
3 Thank Luv_TravelSanJose_CA
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Even though my husband and I travel quite a bit, this was our first experience in a Bed & Breakfast. Now I fear we are ruined for all others! This property has several different buildings - we were in the Beach House - with differently appointed/priced rooms. I had initially looked at hotels in Monterey on Cannery Row, but found this B&B at a comparable price. It had good reviews so I took a chance. I am glad I did, because we really enjoyed our stay here.

The rooms are comfortable - no air conditioning, but you can open your windows and enjoy the ocean breeze. It did get a little warm during our stay, but we had a table fan that we could use, and that helped. We had no issues with our room - the bathroom fan was a bit loud, but nothing we couldn't deal with. The evening wine and cheese reception was very nice -- a good selection of fruit and cheese, with 3 or 4 wine choices and a non-alcoholic choice as well. Around 8:00 pm every evening they set out cookies and milk - a nice capper to the evening.

I have read in other reviews that the breakfast was lacking. That was certainly not our experience. Each morning they have yogurt, fruit, cereal, toast, egg, coffee and juice. Then there are rotating hot entrees -- baked eggs, sausage, grits, etc. We found plenty to our liking. Sometimes there is a bit of a lag in replacing some of the fruit or other entrees, but they are replaced. I would guess you would pay about $20 for this same breakfast elsewhere.

I would definitely stay here again. If you are a young couple or are looking for lively night life, this probably isn't your place. But it was for us.

Room Tip: Read the descriptions on the website carefully - they tell you specifically what each room includes...
3 Thank billanlo
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I found the Seven Gables Inn after receiving a suggestion that we stay in Pacific Grove. It turned out to be the perfect location and accommodation for us. We hiked in Big Sur which was an easy, beautiful drive from the Inn, otherwise we found everything we wanted within walking distance of The Seven Gables Inn. As for the Inn, it could not have been lovelier. Every attention to detail has been seen to. It is immaculate. The breakfasts were so delicious and satisfying. Wine and cheese in the late afternoon, and cookies before bedtime made our stay very homey. The entire staff was just the nicest. It was the perfect place for us and we look forward to going back.

3 Thank 883Deborah_L
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked this hotel for our last night stay at the end of our two week Californian trip. I wanted a hotel with a view and something impressive so I picked Seven Gables and one of their premium rooms - Fairmont. The price for this was well above anything I'd paid for the rest of the trip so my expectations were high. These were expectations that weren't fulfilled unfortunately.

I have to say that I can see why this place has its fans - the place is decorated to a very high standard - fully renovated and quite sumptuous. The service was also excellent - we met the Operations Manager, Mr. Wheelwright who, after a short chat, provided us with some itinerary options for our final day - good ones as it turned out. It was a pleasure to meet him.

Many of the guests had clearly stayed more than once before and absolutely love the place - the impression I got was that the grandness of the public spaces and the quality of the personal attention they received is what endears them to the place.

So why was I disappointed? Basically because of the room - it did have a nice view and a comfortable large bed but it kind of ended there. The room wasn't that big - just about room for a couple of chairs alongside the bed. There was no closet or wardrobe - merely a small hanging rail. We couldn't have used that for more than a night. Neither was there a bath - it had a shower. There is no air conditioning - probably not such a big deal in a town that doesn't get overly warm. There's no TV in the room (but I did know that when I booked it). Finally there's no tea or coffee making facility - that is available from early morning but in a completely diffferent building.

If I'd been paying about $200, say, for this I would have been somewhat happy (or at least reconciled) but it cost way, way more than that and it makes me think I'll maybe save my pennies and research more carefully next time.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice place and I can see how it attracts a following (mainly of more mature guests) but it wasn't our style and it's not what I would shell out good money for again.

2 Thank Derek R
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Yes the Seven Gables deserves all the superlative reviews.....it is perfectly located and immaculate. However It was the most expensive accommodation in our recent USA trip and given the price found it lacked the services of the 5 star hotels and didn't quite match the personal touch of the other inns where we stayed. While the wine and cheese was exceptional the breakfast had a limited choice and service. There is no TV in the room and our room was quite small. While overall Seven Gables is lovely I don't think it was perfect for us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,575 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Victorian Inn
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Seven Gables Inn? Share your experiences!