“All we expected and More”
Review of Seven Gables Inn

and 1 more site!
Seven Gables Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 20, 2008

We stayed in the Fairmount Room this past weekend, and this room and Inn were fabulous. We had a gorgeous view of the Bay and were treated to a stunning sunrise over the water in the morning. (Not all that common on the West Coast.) We had plenty of privacy. (Some of the rooms on the ground floor did not seem to have much privacy.) The historical Inn itself was beautiful and interesting. Our room was clean, comfortable, and very relaxing. The service was excellent, and we loved the fresh baked cookies in the evening. Breakfast was good, but our favorite part of this meal was watching the surfers at Lover's Point. This location is perfect for those who want to get out and walk or jog on the nice path along the water or for those who just want to sit and soak in the view from the multitude of windows. I would stay here again in a minute and recommend it to anyone looking to get away for a quiet romantic weekend. You won't regret spending your money here!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 18, 2008

OK, that might be an exaggeration - but of the 5 hotels we stayed at in December, 2007 (Omni San Diego, Century City Hyatt Regency, Hotel Vitale, etc.), these beds and this bedding was the best - by far. All six of us in our family felt the same way - we have great sheets at home and a tempurpedic mattress, but I almost wanted to purchase everything they have here.

All the reviews are correct: the rooms are immaculate (we stayed in 3), the furnishings are lovely, the views are great, the location is perfect, the milk & cookies at 8 are absolutely delicious, the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. We never felt rushed at any time during the wine & cheese or cookie hour - or breakfast. Nor did we feel funny that we had 4 kids (youngest age 12) with us - it's a very laid back but beautiful place.

If I were to be picky, this is the most I can come up with:

1. The wine and cheese offered in the early evening is more elaborate than just wine and cheese - there's usually an additional salad or vegetable spread, which is great. The only negative, if I stretch it, is at least while we were there the wine was being offered by a winery representative who sells the wine. So you might feel some pressure or embarassment at drinking the wine but not purchasing. But really, that pressure does not come from the Inn nor from the representative -- they are welcoming, gracious, and generous - it would only be something you personally would feel. The truth is, the wine was so delicious and reasonably priced that we did buy a bottle which was immediately and discreetly delivered to our room while we were enjoying the wine & cheese hour. Amazing.

2. The breakfast was good, but not great. There were almost no vegetarian options, although they gave us very generous portions of scrambled eggs both mornings we were there when we inquired. VERY generous. And delicious.

As I said - it's pretty perfect, and the above comments are because I'm trying to be really critical.

The place is great - and it's walking distance to the aquarium (and of course right on the beautiful ocean, which has lots of walks in and of itself.) Book this place - you've found the best place to stay in Pacific Grove/Monterey without a doubt.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank ruchelaya
Reviewed January 4, 2008

This was more like a small upscale inn. All the amenities you would want . First class room with luxurious bedding and private bath. Every thing spotless and believe me even my wife couldn't find a single thing that wasn't perfect. Food was both delicious and splendidly served. All the staff was very friendly, helpful, and professional. Grounds were absolutely beautiful. All this and the most gorgeous views in a town full of gorgeous views. It is the ultimate Pacific Grove destination and should not be missed.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vcumonty
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Seal Rocks room, overlooking the water. This was an amazing view!! The service at this Inn was the best. Everyone was very helpful in making sure we were comfortable, and that our dinner reservations were taken care of daily. The cookies and milk at night were a bonus!! The morning breakfast was yummy, and the coffee service in the morning before breakfast was exceptional!! The complimentary soap, shampoo, etc... were quality. I even bought some to take home with us. The decor of every room of the Inn was so peaceful and beautiful. I felt like I was taking a trip back in time.

I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank haroldEtMaude
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My wife and I chose the Seven Gables for a romantic getaway because of its fantastic location on Monterey Bay and because it always looked so cute and inviting the many times we had driven by. In general I’m a little leery of B&B’s because I’ve found they’re often a little shabby and musty, but the Seven Gables was immaculate, from the gardens to the common rooms to, most importantly, our guest room (“Crespi”), which had amazing views of the bay. All the little details were just right – the bed was comfy, the towels smelled good, the robes were fluffy, the toiletries were high-quality.

At most B&Bs where we’ve stayed the food is an afterthought, but all the munchies at the Seven Gables were delicious: good local wines and cheeses at five o’clock, gooey homemade chocolate cookies at 8 p.m. and then a very tasty breakfast with a lot of options. The staff also deserves mention – they were very attentive and helpful but also gave us the space and privacy we desired.

My wife and I love the Monterey Peninsula and through the years have stayed everywhere from the Lodge at Pebble Beach to the Highlands Inn to Spanish Bay; these are great places, obviously, but the Seven Gables is our new favorite spot. It is smaller and more intimate than these big resorts, offers better coastal access than any of them and is the only one that is walking distance to shops and restaurants. The room rates are also more reasonable, allowing us to spend the leftover money on great meals and shopping. But that’s another post…

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NorCalRules
Reviewed October 25, 2007

The Seven Gables Inn is not a traditional B&B, I would describe it more like a historical inn with a European flair. It is an experience beyond compare in this area dollar for dollar. The Monterey peninsula weather cooperated for our stay in early October and the views from every one of the 10 rooms we had booked left us speechless. Because of the inn's location right on the tip of the Pacific Grove peninsula (thus surrounded on 3 sides by water) every room in every building has an ocean view. The rooms themselves are all impeccably decorated, each one different from the others. The linens were of incredible quality, the beds so comfortable we were checking the mattress brand under the sheets! Breakfast was delicious, not a continental cold tidbit but a full layout of hot foods with china, beautiful linens and of course, a bay view!
I was booking for 20 persons (just try pleasing everyone) for 3 nights and received not one complaint only praise for our hard work in finding such impeccable accomodations. Little did they all know how easy it was mainly because of the general manager Hartmut Ott and his wonderful staff. Hartmut brings an incredible customer service oriented work ethic from his homeland that makes me want to visit Munich yet one more time. I think I will save the airfare and get the experience at my favorite new spot instead: the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove, CA

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank vnrluvtravel
Reviewed October 4, 2007

My wife and I had a wonderful romantic stay at Seven Gables for two nights September 25 and 26, 2007. It was my wife's first bed and breakfast; and, I cannot imagine another place topping our experience at Pacific Grove. The rooms have amazing views and are beautifuly decorated. The entire facility is very classy and decorated in ornate but comfortable means. And, as the recent poster pointed out, the food is excellent. You cannot go wrong by staying here. The stay overshadowed our wonderful time in San Francisco and Napa. We want to return to Monterey just to stay at Seven Gables.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Martine Inn
Martine Inn
#2 of 8 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Seven Gables Inn? Share your experiences!