“Not your typical B&B”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Va.
“Not your typical B&B”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

This was more like a small upscale inn. All the amenities you would want . First class room with luxurious bedding and private bath. Every thing spotless and believe me even my wife couldn't find a single thing that wasn't perfect. Food was both delicious and splendidly served. All the staff was very friendly, helpful, and professional. Grounds were absolutely beautiful. All this and the most gorgeous views in a town full of gorgeous views. It is the ultimate Pacific Grove destination and should not be missed.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vcumonty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Reviewed December 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Seal Rocks room, overlooking the water. This was an amazing view!! The service at this Inn was the best. Everyone was very helpful in making sure we were comfortable, and that our dinner reservations were taken care of daily. The cookies and milk at night were a bonus!! The morning breakfast was yummy, and the coffee service in the morning before breakfast was exceptional!! The complimentary soap, shampoo, etc... were quality. I even bought some to take home with us. The decor of every room of the Inn was so peaceful and beautiful. I felt like I was taking a trip back in time.

I can't wait to go back!!!

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed December 2007
1 Thank haroldEtMaude
Monterey, California
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My wife and I chose the Seven Gables for a romantic getaway because of its fantastic location on Monterey Bay and because it always looked so cute and inviting the many times we had driven by. In general I’m a little leery of B&B’s because I’ve found they’re often a little shabby and musty, but the Seven Gables was immaculate, from the gardens to the common rooms to, most importantly, our guest room (“Crespi”), which had amazing views of the bay. All the little details were just right – the bed was comfy, the towels smelled good, the robes were fluffy, the toiletries were high-quality.

At most B&Bs where we’ve stayed the food is an afterthought, but all the munchies at the Seven Gables were delicious: good local wines and cheeses at five o’clock, gooey homemade chocolate cookies at 8 p.m. and then a very tasty breakfast with a lot of options. The staff also deserves mention – they were very attentive and helpful but also gave us the space and privacy we desired.

My wife and I love the Monterey Peninsula and through the years have stayed everywhere from the Lodge at Pebble Beach to the Highlands Inn to Spanish Bay; these are great places, obviously, but the Seven Gables is our new favorite spot. It is smaller and more intimate than these big resorts, offers better coastal access than any of them and is the only one that is walking distance to shops and restaurants. The room rates are also more reasonable, allowing us to spend the leftover money on great meals and shopping. But that’s another post…

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NorCalRules
Castro Valley,CA
Reviewed October 25, 2007

The Seven Gables Inn is not a traditional B&B, I would describe it more like a historical inn with a European flair. It is an experience beyond compare in this area dollar for dollar. The Monterey peninsula weather cooperated for our stay in early October and the views from every one of the 10 rooms we had booked left us speechless. Because of the inn's location right on the tip of the Pacific Grove peninsula (thus surrounded on 3 sides by water) every room in every building has an ocean view. The rooms themselves are all impeccably decorated, each one different from the others. The linens were of incredible quality, the beds so comfortable we were checking the mattress brand under the sheets! Breakfast was delicious, not a continental cold tidbit but a full layout of hot foods with china, beautiful linens and of course, a bay view!
I was booking for 20 persons (just try pleasing everyone) for 3 nights and received not one complaint only praise for our hard work in finding such impeccable accomodations. Little did they all know how easy it was mainly because of the general manager Hartmut Ott and his wonderful staff. Hartmut brings an incredible customer service oriented work ethic from his homeland that makes me want to visit Munich yet one more time. I think I will save the airfare and get the experience at my favorite new spot instead: the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove, CA

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank vnrluvtravel
kentucky
Reviewed October 4, 2007

My wife and I had a wonderful romantic stay at Seven Gables for two nights September 25 and 26, 2007. It was my wife's first bed and breakfast; and, I cannot imagine another place topping our experience at Pacific Grove. The rooms have amazing views and are beautifuly decorated. The entire facility is very classy and decorated in ornate but comfortable means. And, as the recent poster pointed out, the food is excellent. You cannot go wrong by staying here. The stay overshadowed our wonderful time in San Francisco and Napa. We want to return to Monterey just to stay at Seven Gables.

• Liked — Beauty of facility and the view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kytraveler76
South Dakota
Reviewed October 1, 2007

My husband and I spent two great nights on Saturday and Sunday, September 22 and 23 at the Seven Gables Inn. What a lovely Inn! We stayed in the adjacent building that was once the Beach House. We have stayed at B&B's previously, but this one is the best one yet. The views from our room (and any room) at the Inn were fantastic! We enjoyed the use of the binoculars both in our room and in the breakfast room to view the sea lions, seals, and otters swimming in the surf. The breakfast was the best we've had at a B&B: eggs, french toast, bacon, sausage, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc. The afternoon wine, cheese, and fruit "get together" in the main house parlors was a great way to meet other guests and share experiences. The Seven Gables Inn is the perfect place to stay and enjoy the Monterey Peninsula.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Limited off street parking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 2travelers98
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I'm luke warm to idea of most B&B's , but this one was a winner. Location was great and the view from the room was fantastic. Breakfast surpassed my expectations and the staff was very helpful. A little pricey but the overall experience was well worth it.

• Liked — Location
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Hotel Abrego
Hotel Abrego
#6 of 56 in Monterey

Been to Seven Gables Inn? Share your experiences!