“Well, Just Kinda Weird.”
Review of Martine Inn

Martine Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We were taking advantage of a Travelzoo promotion; king room, bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. All this for what seemed a reasonable price for Pacific Grove, well under $200.00/night. Even in booking the package I couldn't help but wonder about its rating as the 6th worst out of 10. Or from their perspective, the 6th best in Pacific Grove.

I reasoned that the worst inn in Pacific Grove would probably be the best option in many towns. With an open mind we checked in about 4:30 pm on a Wednesday. We were greeted by the innkeeper and her trainee. After a few minutes of the innkeeper correcting the trainee I was reminded of a tough school teacher about to wrap the knuckles of the trainee with a ruler. Frankly it was making me uncomfortable as nearly everything the young lady did was repeated, and corrected by the innkeeper. Not a nice way to start out stay.

I knew the backstory. The Martine family purchased the Parke Mansion (of Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical fame) in 1972. They invested heavily in the estate to bring it up to current standards and thereafter starting renting the rooms. They rightly take pride in viewing the inn as almost a museum laden as it is with collections of antiques, silver and Don Martine's MG cars. For some people that would be great. For me it was a little weird.

I appreciate a good historic hotel. This inn, however, reminded me of grandma's musty old house. Mind you it wasn't musty, and was very clean, but the floral print of the drapes matching the floral print of the wallpaper was a little too old fashioned for me. I enjoyed the antiques but thought the mismatched pieces was more like a holistic vegetarian restaurant trying to be hip in a hippy, dippy way. The clawfoot bathtub was a nice feature, but of course a little difficult to take a shower in.

The property as a whole was not what I would call well laid out. Many of the rooms were in the main house but others were hidden around the property. We took a look main house rooms the next day after the guests had left. There is one room in particular that looks out over the ocean and has nice features. But many of the other rooms were rather small with the sink in the room and only a bathtub or shower in a separate room with the toilet.

Our room, The Captain's Room, appeared to be in what was formerly a garage. It faced onto the courtyard which made it kinda of dark. There was a room above us (yes, we could hear those guests quite easily but it was never a problem) but no one on either side.

Scattered around the mansion's various spaces were, not one, not two but seven of Don Martine's antique MG cars. Again, I appreciate a good classic car with the best of them but how this adds value to an inn is beyond me. Are they nice, yes, but do they make sense being here...I don't think so. A car museum which is also an inn?

Finally, the food was very good. They have a house chef. They freshly cut the fruit, vegetables and cheese before each wine hour. The morning's breakfast offered three options; oatmeal or granola, a regular egg dish or whatever the special of the day was. The chef made a wonderful blueberry French toast one day. A crab Benedict the next. Preceded by a fruit bowl, accompanied by fruit juice, the breakfast was a highlight of the visit.

In conclusion I can see where some people would absolutely love this place, and rightfully so. It is a unique place with some great features. I suspect there are some folks who return to this inn year after year because it is well located, reasonably priced and sits nearly on the water. For me, however, starting with the severe innkeeper, including the ghostly specter of Mr. Martine and ending with the overly proud display of cars and antiques, it was just kinda weird.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique, ones overlooking the ocean are considerably more expensive.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KenVicLee
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for your extensive review. We have never been called weird before nor have I ever been called a ghostly specter. In our 30th year of business I guess anything can happen.

There are newer reviews for Martine Inn

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This is a beautiful, century-old inn with unique charm and quality. We were greeted warmly upon arrival and enjoyed our two nights there very much. We have three young children and found the family suite to be perfect. The suite is detached from the main inn, which was great for our family. The breakfasts were delicious, and the ocean view from the dining room with crackling fire made the experience absolutely memorable. The owner's wonderful vintage MG automobiles are on display, and the pool table and piano in a separate building were fun diversions for the kids. It feels very much like a home, because it is. One can stroll along the path along the waterfront in either direction to take in the views, and it was just a leisurely ten minute walk to the famous Monterey Aquarium.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Alapride

We set up the Family Suite about 5 years ago and it has become very popular. We are glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

An ideal place to escape the pressures of modern life. Our room with both a fireplace and ocean view made it hard to leave, add a glass of wine, it was almost impossible. The staff were very friendly and the views from the dining room are spectacular.
Breakfast is good and the wine and snacks in the evening a nice pre dinner event.
My husband really enjoys Don's stories and catching up on his MG collection.
A short walk takes you to the Aquarium and all the attractions of Cannery Row, so park the car at the hotel and leave it there until it's time to go home.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quite charming, but we always enjoy the ocean views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ann_Berg
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

You have stated out goal in the first sentence of your review. We really want to create a place where you can relieve the stress of modern life. Thank you for confirming our goal.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Our adult children found this little gem. We had the walnut room, queen bed, adequate bathroom, quite delightful other than a lack of a TV. I appreciate that some people find TVs uncouth but I need one to fall asleep to. Outside through French doors was a courtyard and fountain , Really lovely.
There is a TV in the lounge but as this was being used as a junk room apparently, we couldn't go there.

Breakfast was in a lovely large room facing the sea, even whales prancing out there, absolutely wonderful.
Breakfast was special, both delicious and served with silver milk pots and more, quite like when I or mummy dearest were growing up in another time and place. Simply super or brill as they say today. Seriously rather special.
There was a lovely little 5 o'clock spread of little things and wines.A nice living room with a piano and brochures and books/games. And a well stocked coffee corner and a fruit bowl.
This really is a lovely place, right off the sea road, but quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view but actually our room was off a courtyard and quite lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mikisgirl
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Your review illustrated to me how important training and followup with my staff is. We have a sitting room on both the second floor and the ground for just for the purpose you wanted. They are there for our guests to view the waves crashing against the rocky coastline. On your introductory tour of the Martine Inn you should have been told about these rooms. Also I apologize for the material left in the Conference Room that kept you from the TV. We were installing new blinds in some of out rooms and were using this as a staging area but it should have been available to you. Thank you for your review. It will enable us to improve your experience at the Martine Inn next time.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My stay here was great. I was upgraded to a fireplace room on arrival. The room was huge! The bed was very comfortable and the shower worked very well. Nice amenities. I wish they had feather pillows. The breakfast was good, not fancy or huge, but tasty, several options available and the service was very good. Happy hour-complimentary wine and snacks was nice too.
My only semi negative comment is that the only good place to view the ocean is from the dining room. I wish there was another comfortable spot where one could sit with a book and a glass of wine and enjoy their spectacular view. That being said, I value the friendly service and comfort and plan to visit again!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
donmartine, Manager at Martine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Thank you for your review of the Martine Inn. We are indeed fortunate in our fantastic location. Walk to Cannery Row, Monterey Bay Aquarium, 17 Mile Drive and right on the edge of the Monterey Bay Sanctuary. Our tour of the inn was not as complete as it should have been, because you were not shown 2 sitting rooms that would have accommodated your viewing. We will correct that immediately.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Still our favorite place to stay in Pacific Grove. Amazing views, great beds, wonderful breakfasts and very friendly, helpful innkeepers and staff. We had a "real" fireplace in our room which made the room so warm and cozy on a chilly February night. Be sure to ask Don about the history of the inn and its original owners. It's a great story.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you again for choosing the Martine Inn. It is always a pleasure to welcome back guests that have stayed with us many times. We get to share the improvements we have made in the inn and hear what has happened in your life.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Wow, me and my wife had a wonderful time at the Martine Inn in Pacific Grove. We were in the Edith Head room for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. My wife started a fire in the fire place each morning. What a great way to wake up. Wonderful breakfast around 9:30 a.m. and then a few short steps to a beautiful walk along the beach. We were just a short walk from Cannery Row and the Aquarium. We loved playing pool on their awesome pool table. Make sure you check out Don's wonderful MG car collection in the back. I highly recommend the Martine Inn. P.S. The towels were the softest we ever experienced. (Christy Towels, we bought some online.)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

We really appreciate your review of the Martine Inn. We designed the inn to create a unique experience within the inn, in addition to our convenient location. We are glad you enjoyed the in Inn experience along with the walk along the beach front and to close by Cannery Row.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Monterey Marriott
Monterey Marriott
#14 of 56 in Monterey

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!