“Best Bed and Breakfast Inn”
Review of Martine Inn

Martine Inn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Roseville, California
“Best Bed and Breakfast Inn”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I spent our 40th wedding anniversary in the Martine Inn in Pacific Grove, CA. The owners Mr and Mrs. Martine made it so special for us. The room was wonderful and when we were taken to our room there was a bottle of Sparkling Wine and chocolate dipped strew berries. Every morning we had a wonderful full breakfast. Fruit, cookies, coffee and tea available all day. They also served at 5-7 pm a very nice snack with wine, water, soda plus coffee and tea. Their staff was there to help us and make us feel at home. I would highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast to all who want to be pampered. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Martine

Room Tip: All Room are wonderful they have some facing a garden which we liked. Some also face the ocean view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We are always pleased when someone selects the Martine Inn for a special occasion. It also places an obligation on us to create a special experience for this special occasion. We enjoy this challenge and are happy to hear that you were pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Fresno, California, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My experience was horrid and offensive. The following is a letter I have wrote to them:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter with the clear intention of having my voice heard regarding the poor treatment I received upon visiting your facility. On 8/24/2013, I had reservations at your Pacific Grove location. I had requested the reservations online and had paid in full the amount of $369, plus tax to stay at your facility. Without realizing it, the reservation I had made stated that it was only a 2 person maximum occupancy. I did not think of the mistake as the ad description stated that it was King room and in fact, offered the opportunity to use a futon bed. I did not realize the mistake until I arrived, talked to your "hostess", and informed her that I was ready to check in and had 3 other adults that would be checking in with me. I use the word "hostess" very loosely as your staff member did not at any point in time make me feel welcome, nor was she pleasant during any point in time. In fact, she seemed irritated at checking in multiple guests at the same time. However, that sort of behavior could have been forgotten and overlooked if your hostess had not continued to deeply offend and upset me. Upon learning (by my own disclosure) that I had arrived with 3 other guests, your hostess informed me that I would not be able to stay at your facility as it was beyond the rules. Additionally, your hostess continued to insinuate that a larger party would probably be arriving with us and that behavior was not tolerated at the facility. In my car, I had my 69 year old aunt, my 59 year old mother, and my 45 year old aunt. I can clearly tell you that our intent was not to "party" at your facility. In fact this weekend was a bonding time with the family that unfortunately we do not always have luxury of doing very often. I offered to pay whatever extra amount was required to have us all share this room. My intent was never to over-ride your rules. Your hostess only attempt at "helping" was by stating that 2 of the members in our party should "go stay somewhere else", and by stating that she would see if her boss would help, but she stated she did not think her boss would allow this and would probably not answer the the phone call. She left for 2 minutes, closed her door, and said no, she could not help me. I then requested a refund so that we could stay somewhere else. She rejected that request and stated that the hotel would be losing money on that room. This woman never apologized nor made the situation any better. In fact she saw me walk away in tears as all I wanted was the opportunity to offer my family a nice quiet weekend by the ocean. It took all my restraint not to take this sadness to my family as I did not wish to ruin this weekend they were deeply looking forward to. I feel offended and discriminated against. I work hard for my money and felt that even if the refund was not a possibility, which I would still like, proper treatment and common decency by your staff member should have been required. I would appreciate that action be taken in regard to this situation. If not, I intend to contact the local newspaper and see what other avenues I could address my concerns.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Alicia F
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
We immediately responded to your letter as follows: It must have been very upsetting to arrive and find you could not be accommodated at the Martine Inn. We have only one room that will accommodate 4 people and that is our Family Suite. You booked a room with one king bed and an occupancy for only 2 people. The printed copy of your booking from booking.com states "ALICIA FIGUEROA 1 room-2guests-USD 369".
Unfortunately we were sold out and could not provide you with another room for the remaining members of your family. We have worked with Booking.com to make room occupancy as clear as possible. No one here feels you were going to use the room to party; the fire department sets maximum occupancy based upon size and location of the rooms. We have a 72 hour cancellation policy. We offered to call other hospitality facilities to see if we could find you proper accommodations and you declined. We attempted to resell the room for you so we could refund your payment but were unable to do so. We try to treat our guests with courtesy and respect and I apologize if you feel we failed in treating you that way.
Okehampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a really lovely time at The Martine Inn, even though the five of us were only there for one night, we felt extremely welcome and very comfortable. I often struggle to find good sized family rooms, 2 children seems to be the norm for a family, and our youngest usually ends up on a sofa or camp bed. The family suite here was HUGE, with very comfy beds and two TV's which the kids thought was amazing! The decor throughout the hotel was pure Victoriana, which can be stuffy but was actually done really well here with many antiques from the period.
The staff were very friendly and polite, especially when we were rather late arriving - the manager waited for us and still did the full tour even though it was 10pm.
The breakfast was very good although maybe a little fancy for the kids. I loved all the silver tableware.
The highlight was seeing a school of dolphins swimming across the bay while we had breakfast!
The owner has an impressive collection of restored MG classic cars which he's happy for you to look at - this was the highlight for my husband thought.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, excellent accommodation and reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Martine Inn for your stay on the Monterey Peninsula. We try to create a memorable experience and the dolphins in the bay at breakfast certainly add to whatever we can do for you.
San Diego
Reviewed July 24, 2013

First off I want to say that all the Staff was very pleasant. My Wife and I ate breakfast both days and the food was great and the staff was very nice. I wish I could give the Martine Inn a better review but I had a very serious issue with our room. My wife always reviews places before we stay at them and that is why she chose this location. We were hesitant because one of the reviews talked about the poor quality bed in the Parke Room. I having a bad back makes the bed a top priority, but we read the response about how the bed and carpet was being immediately redone, that was on May 27. We stayed there on July 21 and 22 and the bed was not upgraded yet. If I would have known this I would have never stayed there. I woke up each morning in pain and very tired from tossing and turning all night. When you get on the bed you can feel the springs poking you. This bed was manufactured in July of 1994, with that said it should have been replaced 10 years ago. If you’re the type of person that can sleep on anything then this is a lovely place to stay. The views and staff were great

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask how old the bed is in the room you plan on reserving. There is a tag on every mat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vito L
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
As intended, the mattresses and carpet were ordered immediately, less than 30 days prior to your check-in. I apologize for not having installation completed for your reservation period. Besides the obvious ordering of mattresses and carpet, there are sheets, pillows, mattress covers, shams, coverlets, bed skirts, etc with their own delivery timelines and the headboards and footboards reconfigured. The Parke Room now has a new King Bed as does the Victoriana Room, Maries Room and the Empire Room. We want to give you the best experience possible and that certainly includes a good night’s sleep.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Martine Inn was a truly wonderful experience! We caught a coupon "deal" so we took a chance. So glad we did! Each and every room is beautifully appointed and thought out. The main theme is late Victorian, but each room is different. We had the lovely Mahogany Room which is one of three rooms in one of the outer buildings. It was a bit off-putting to get to our room by walking around back and down a narrow path, but it was very private. Brass and Suite are both in the same building and would be equally good choices. The rooms in this building are thoughtfully arranged for minimal noise from adjoining rooms. Very romantic!

The main house contains a number of wonderful-looking rooms also, as well as a huge dining area with gorgeous views of Monterey Bay and fantastic antiques. Attached to the entry hall is a large parlor for relaxing and also a meeting room with a television (the only TV in the place, if that is important to you!). Behind the house is a lovely garden/patio area and a game room with an antique pool table and old piano. The owner of the Inn has his collection of old MG's displayed in several garages behind the house as well.

There are wine and hors d'oeuvres served every evening from 5:30-7pm. And the hot breakfasts are spectacular, both tasting and visually.

Thank you to the Martine Inn staff, particularly Cody! We hope to be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank msorangeblossom
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Creating and operating the Martine Inn for the past 29 years has been a challenging and satisfying experience. Our goal is to create the experience you have written about. Thanks for taking your time to review us. We look forward to having you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Unashamedly old-fashioned and a breath of fresh air to get away from the soulless dead-behind-the-smiling-eyes corporate American hotel experience, the Martine Inn gave us a splendidly eccentric and warmly welcoming two nights in Monterey.
Our room was small and crammed with Victorian era furniture, the electrical and plumbing fixtures were antique but fully functional once we worked out how to use them.
Our fellow guests were almost as eccentric as the furniture (a few of them were of similar vintage), but they were an eclectic bunch.
Wine and hors d'oevres at 5:00pm in the front parlour with a wonderful view over the bay, were an inspired and very welcome way of letting go of any tensions from the day and allowing us to enjoy the wildlife (deer in the garden and harbour seals on the shore just outside).
An enjoyable and memorable stay.

Room Tip: The sea-view rooms at the front of the Inn are larger justify their higher price.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We are an old fashioned excentric antique experience. Thank you for noticing. We want to remove our guests from the repeditive plastic sameness of the typical hotel. " If you have seen one hotel room you have seen them all " is NOT the Martine Inn. We truly appreciate you telling others about our difference.
Orangevale, California
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very nice, very unique. The building restored to its glory in every detail and filled with antique furniture. Themed rooms with antiques dedicated to the period or person it is dedicated to. We stayed in the Edith Head room on the second floor. Our room has a nice fireplace we used and no televisions in the room is a bonus. Freestanding shower/claw-foot tub was very cool. Just off our room is a private viewing room that overlooked the bay, beautiful view to say the least. My favorite spot is the MG car garage or museum just off the courtyard. Many vintage MG's, one of which Mr. Martine told us he had raced just a week earlier. Breakfast was very good and the beautiful dining room overlooks the bay. There is too much to say about this beautiful B&B. Parking is easy in the front of the property or on a side street that ends at the entrance and doesn't get much use. (Think luggage here ). Easy walk to aquarium and Cannery Row and all it has to offer. Great location. We stayed during the week prior to Memorial Day so traffic was light and 17 mile drive was easy. Photo ops everywhere. I need to mention the champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room upon arrival, nice touch. Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will be back. Mr. Martine and Cody were very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
donmartine, Owner at Martine Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We treasure your opinion because that tells us how well we are doing. Your are our measuring stick. For you to say "expected less but got more" fills us with pride. We are grateful that you enjoyed your stay at the Martine Inn.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,945 reviews
Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!