“Disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Savannah, Georgia
“Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Back home in Savannah GA now, reminicing about the Martine Inn....one word: disappointing. On entry, the inn seemed dark, tired, carpet old, musty. We had to walk around and search for a few moments before we located staff. (A student who would only be available for a few hours during day hours.)

We were there while the weather was still a little chilly and was given a "deluxe" downstairs "suite" which turned out to be musty, damp, cold. Obviously a closed in garage area with multiple ceilings/rooms combined. The Inn's only saving grace ...and the ONLY reason we stayed for the night...was it's location. Breakfast was blah. Quickly checked out, never to return.

With so many quality B&B's in the area, don't waste your money or time at the Martine Inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
donmartine, Manager at Martine Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
We take all guest concerns very seriously, even when guest posts comments 9 months after they've stayed here. We are struggling to make sense of this traveling nurse's comments, who was given a "local's discount," because she was stationed locally, would have been greeted at the door by our full-time Innkeeper (college grad),especially if she arrived during normal check-in hours, would have been given a choice at breakfast, was in one of our finest rooms, which if she had interest in the history of the Inn, would have learned that the room she chose was the original servants' quarters, in which the floor was lowered in order to heighten the ceiling, and who walked throughout the Inn on carpet that was a year old. We would rather have guests stay at the Inn because they appreciate the work, the passion, the care which goes into it daily -- not just because of the location.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Could not have been more pleased with our recent stay at the Martine Inn. Wonderful accomodations, extremely friendly personable staff, owners are very involved and fun people to chat with!! Location is perfect and the food (full breakfast and wonderful happy hour in front of the lovely fireplace, plus fresh cookies all day long) are absolutely delicious! The owner (Don Martine) has a really interesting collection of vintage MG racing cars on display too, which is fun.
Sea lions, foggy morning vistas, comfort and attentive amentities and staff, all attracting fun and interesting fellow guests...
We will be back for sure!!
Thank you to all at Martine Inn for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TBseattle
Bermuda Dunes, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our stay at the Martine Inn was one we will treasure. We chose this B&B for its location (just a couple of blocks from the Monterey Aquarium and Cannery Row) right on the bay. The views as we had our sumptuous breakfasts on antique china was that of the bay with otter and seals playing in front of us. Each room was filled with lovely antiques, and all the comforts we could want. We had a small room mix-up at first, but when they realized what had happened, they not only upgraded our accommodations, but added a beautiful tray of chocolate dipped strawberries and chilled champagne, along with their apologies. Each evening they provide appetizers and wine and we enjoyed meeting and visiting with the other guests. No tv in the rooms, but a computer and printer in the parlor with wifi available. We loved the fireplace ready to light, and did so each morning before going to breakfast. As we left, we were sent off with warmth, and a small care package for the trip! This was more than we usually spend, but worth every penny! We will be back!

Room Tip: You can see the rooms on their website to choose the one that appeals to you.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sari M
Tulsa, OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Good-this B&B has a lovely location across the street from the ocean and a great walking path. It has a nice drive up appeal and quaint public rooms. It offers pool, games, evening snacks, and they'll make you a cup of coffee even after that. The dining room overlooking the ocean has a wonderful view and breakfast is tasty and served very nicely. There are interesting antiques and collectables throughout the house. The young man greeting us was nice as was the breakfast staff. The good-bye snacks are a kind touch.

The Bad-We have stayed in many B&B's before. Our room was on the second floor. While I understand that there are no bellman at B&B's, I am usually offered help with my luggage as I am a slight woman over 50. I realize that they didn't have to offer, and they didn't. Our room was small and had very bright lights in the ceiling. I heard steps overhead until about midnight. There was no place to put anything in the tub-shower. These were minor quips to the noise that awaited us in the middle of the night. Birds started to constantly screech--I'm not talking about chirping--and we finally tried to close the windows (which were opened when we arrived) at about 4 a.m., although it was warm with them closed. The window mechanism was very difficult and it took a while to figure it out. After we closed the windows the noise was still constant, the bird screeching lessening to a burglar alarm sound. I know that birds are a natural part of the scene, but closing the window should have been explained to us and double panes would have helped. While this area is very expensive, for $250+ I expect more. Maybe a different or more expensive room would have made this experience better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Berkeley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

All the good things that people say are true- mostly. Yes, the staff was helpful and friendly and the view from the dining room is spectacular. There's a lovely and ample spread in the late afternoon, copious enough to leave us almost too full for dinner.

For me, the biggest issue was the musty/moldy smell coming from the meeting room across the hall from our room as well as the general need for sprucing-up. (Outside really needs a paint job) As my title says, the place has seen better days.

Another issue is that at 9pm as a guest, you're on your own. We came in from dinner and wanted some ice at 9:10 but the day host was gone. Everything is locked up and our understanding is that the owner lives on site and is there for emergencies. (Ice, in our opinion not being one of them).

I'd say the breakfast was average- no choice of any sort. No, "would you prefer bacon or sausage, french toast or eggs." I was able to ask for scrambled eggs instead of the whipped cream laden french toast, but it came on a tiny plate and I had to ask for some fruit.

Didn't quite feel as elegant as it may once have been.

Monterey, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Some old-timey hotels feel kitschy but this one is perfect. The detail in each room is remarkable and it feels like you are staying in someone's family house rather than an impersonal hotel. The snacks,mtea available, and amazing breakfast really are something to write home about. I frequent b&b's and can safely say this is near my favorite.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

We booked this hotel based on location and price. We are not really into the whole victorian B&B thing but it had good reviews from others and it was under $300 unlike 90% of the other places I had called. The woman who answered was extremely friendly and thankfully they had a room available for us on short notice. And it had a fireplace! Score!! As for location it is just a few blocks from the Monterey Bay Aquarium & Cannery Row which is where we knew we would be spending Saturday evening.

The young man who checked us in was beyond friendly and informative. He definitely would get 5 stars, as would the "happy hour" food. They tell you that you get wine & hod d'oeuvres in the afternoon but this far exceeded my expectations! They had sodas and waters (which was nice because I didn't feel like wine at that time) as well as red & white wine and an extensive food display. Honestly, if we hadn't planned to go out that night we could have made it our dinner, it was THAT good and filling! They also have a permanent coffee station in the foyer as well as a delicious plate of soft brownies... omg heaven!

The room was fine. Like I said, I am not crazy about period furnishings but I did peek my head in a few other rooms that were open and I liked ours the best, so that was a score! We had a clawfoot tub which again, period piece, but highly annoying. I almost fell getting INTO it! And there was nowhere to set my toiletries in there. Oh and the shower was only separated from the main space by a curtain. Which is fine but the toilet room had a glass door. So curtain open + glass door = boyfriend seeing me go to the bathroom. Some people are fine with that, but it's not our cup of tea so I got a "Hey hon.... I can see you!" and me hopping up and closing the curtain. Also, the ugliest sink I have ever seen in my life. I will definitely be posting pictures!!

The bed was fine, pillows were a bit hard, but the stay was nice. It was very quiet which was very nice. Although if you are a person who intends to sleep in past 10am, this is not the hotel for you!!! You can head the vaccuums going at that time much more clearly than at a big box hotel. Our room was pleasantly sunny in the afternoon and it was cozy overnight which was great.

Breakfast in the sitting room was wonderful... except the entree! Omg. I was so looking forward to it. I opened the door to a newspaper, brought it down to a gorgeous ocean view in the common room, was greeted and treated to coffee & OJ and when my breakfast was brought to me it was so beautiful I didn't want to eat it! Honestly I took a few pictures of it. Kudos to the chef on presentation. HOWEVER: while the sausage and berries were delicious, the blueberry french toast was almost like a congealed bread pudding wrapped in a crepe. It was just really weird and not so tasty. Such a let down :(

Checkout was at noon which is nice, and upon checking out we were shocked when we got a goodie bag including two bottles of water and some banana bread. Such a sweet gesture!

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and we would possibly stay again depending on the circumstances.

Room Tip: Choose the Parke Room!! It is top floor with a fireplace AND a spectacular ocean view! We stayed in...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacific Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,925 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Victorian Inn
Portola Hotel & Spa at Monterey Bay
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Martine Inn? Share your experiences!