Martine Inn
$162
  • Pool
Pacific Gardens Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$160
$140
Butterfly Grove Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$141
Sunset Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$139
$135
Hotels.com
Lovers Point Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$119
$111
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$178
$161
Rosedale Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$102
$99
Orbitz.com
Monterey Peninsula Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$129
Deer Haven Inn(Pacific Grove)(Great Value!)
$120
$116
Travelocity
All reviewsbanana breadview from the dining roommonterey bayb bchampagne and chocolate covered strawberrieson displayold carscannery rowclassic carsantique furnitureocean viewhead roomwalnut roombeautiful antiquesracing carsfresh fruitclawfoot tub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2012

All the good things that people say are true- mostly. Yes, the staff was helpful and friendly and the view from the dining room is spectacular. There's a lovely and ample spread in the late afternoon, copious enough to leave us almost too full for dinner.

For me, the biggest issue was the musty/moldy smell coming from the meeting room across the hall from our room as well as the general need for sprucing-up. (Outside really needs a paint job) As my title says, the place has seen better days.

Another issue is that at 9pm as a guest, you're on your own. We came in from dinner and wanted some ice at 9:10 but the day host was gone. Everything is locked up and our understanding is that the owner lives on site and is there for emergencies. (Ice, in our opinion not being one of them).

I'd say the breakfast was average- no choice of any sort. No, "would you prefer bacon or sausage, french toast or eggs." I was able to ask for scrambled eggs instead of the whipped cream laden french toast, but it came on a tiny plate and I had to ask for some fruit.

Didn't quite feel as elegant as it may once have been.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Some old-timey hotels feel kitschy but this one is perfect. The detail in each room is remarkable and it feels like you are staying in someone's family house rather than an impersonal hotel. The snacks,mtea available, and amazing breakfast really are something to write home about. I frequent b&b's and can safely say this is near my favorite.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We booked this hotel based on location and price. We are not really into the whole victorian B&B thing but it had good reviews from others and it was under $300 unlike 90% of the other places I had called. The woman who answered was extremely friendly and thankfully they had a room available for us on short notice. And it had a fireplace! Score!! As for location it is just a few blocks from the Monterey Bay Aquarium & Cannery Row which is where we knew we would be spending Saturday evening.

The young man who checked us in was beyond friendly and informative. He definitely would get 5 stars, as would the "happy hour" food. They tell you that you get wine & hod d'oeuvres in the afternoon but this far exceeded my expectations! They had sodas and waters (which was nice because I didn't feel like wine at that time) as well as red & white wine and an extensive food display. Honestly, if we hadn't planned to go out that night we could have made it our dinner, it was THAT good and filling! They also have a permanent coffee station in the foyer as well as a delicious plate of soft brownies... omg heaven!

The room was fine. Like I said, I am not crazy about period furnishings but I did peek my head in a few other rooms that were open and I liked ours the best, so that was a score! We had a clawfoot tub which again, period piece, but highly annoying. I almost fell getting INTO it! And there was nowhere to set my toiletries in there. Oh and the shower was only separated from the main space by a curtain. Which is fine but the toilet room had a glass door. So curtain open + glass door = boyfriend seeing me go to the bathroom. Some people are fine with that, but it's not our cup of tea so I got a "Hey hon.... I can see you!" and me hopping up and closing the curtain. Also, the ugliest sink I have ever seen in my life. I will definitely be posting pictures!!

The bed was fine, pillows were a bit hard, but the stay was nice. It was very quiet which was very nice. Although if you are a person who intends to sleep in past 10am, this is not the hotel for you!!! You can head the vaccuums going at that time much more clearly than at a big box hotel. Our room was pleasantly sunny in the afternoon and it was cozy overnight which was great.

Breakfast in the sitting room was wonderful... except the entree! Omg. I was so looking forward to it. I opened the door to a newspaper, brought it down to a gorgeous ocean view in the common room, was greeted and treated to coffee & OJ and when my breakfast was brought to me it was so beautiful I didn't want to eat it! Honestly I took a few pictures of it. Kudos to the chef on presentation. HOWEVER: while the sausage and berries were delicious, the blueberry french toast was almost like a congealed bread pudding wrapped in a crepe. It was just really weird and not so tasty. Such a let down :(

Checkout was at noon which is nice, and upon checking out we were shocked when we got a goodie bag including two bottles of water and some banana bread. Such a sweet gesture!

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and we would possibly stay again depending on the circumstances.

Room Tip: Choose the Parke Room!! It is top floor with a fireplace AND a spectacular ocean view! We stayed in the Edith Head room which was second runner up... no ocean view, but a king sized bed and a fireplace AND if you stick your head out the window you can see the ocean as well!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Charming historic Inn with an awesome view of the ocean. Great stop as we were drivimg down the coast. Wine and hor's d'overes in the evening and a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 3, 2012

The inn has cool antiques, a classic car collection, pool table, game room, garden grotto plus ocean front views. Our room had a fireplace and claw foot tub cannopy bed and huge windows also covered parking and we enjoyed the place..folks were nice. No loud crowds, elevators or buses here.

• Stayed: July 2012