“A flashback to an earlier era”
Review of Centrella Inn

Centrella Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the Centrella Inn a few years ago, and just went to show this wonderful place to a friend this past April. I stayed in one of their other "buildings" they own, so I found it to be very quiet and relaxing. I used to live where the existing courtyard is now, as my little cottage was wedged between 2 larger Victorian homes that have been converted to 2 duplexes for the Inn. The walk to the ocean is only a couple of blocks, and Pacific Grove is a lovely, "family friendly" community!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in one of their other buildings, versus staying in the main inn.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Honey G, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

It is always interesting to learn from those who knew the Centrella Inn when she was a boarding house. I wish we had been able to see some pictures of what the property looked like before it was renovated.

I completely agree with you about Pacific Grove being a "family friendly" community. My family has been on the peninsula since 1956 and when it was time to put down roots and raise my kids, I came right on back to Pacific Grove. This is a wonderful area.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed one weekend night at this Bed and Breakfast. Lovely building, great staff, beautiful grounds. We reserved a premier room and I am not sure if the inn was completely sold out or not (there were plenty of people at breakfast so it was definitely not empty), but our room was just so tiny. It had a couple of windows overlooking the side of the building, which was filled with trees and flowers, so very nice. Normally, I would have gone and kindly requested a different room, if the vacancy allowed for it, but this time, I just kept our room. The room itself was lovely, but you really needed to move sideways to pass one another between the bed and the armoire. Same with the bathroom, really small- it would be tough for someone to brush teeth and another to try and use the mirror too, or just pass you to get to the shower. Breakfast was wonderful and made to order from a daily menu presented.

Overall, wonderful experience. I would simply request a larger room next time, one with the bay windows overlooking the street, or towards the back of the hotel, which would look over the ocean. They also have cottages, which looked great- I might try that next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. Our gardener works very hard to make the grounds lush and beautiful. The cottages, in our garden, are definitely more spacious and they have a fireplace which I absolutely love.

We hope you will be our guest again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed 1 night at Centrella. The Centrella is a historic hotel with victorian style rooms. The location is closed to the ocean. The reception is friendly and helpful. The breakfast and cookie is tasty. They also provided the free WiFi.

I think the walls & windows do not have soundproof. It is kind of noise from the street or next room. The room size is small. The room finish need some touch up.

Overall this is good B&B hotel. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

The Centrella Inn is a Historical National Landmark built in 1889and we are making sure that we keep with the proper era when updating our rooms (although our new beds aren't antique). Thanks to Holbrooks Antique auction for all the little finds we have been making.

We would love to have you come and see some of our new touches.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Centrella has all the ambiance of home. The comfortable furniture/beds, the warm atmosphere and friendly staff all add up to enjoyment. My wife and I spent 3 nights here and enjoyed it. They provide an awesome breakfast and afternoon wine. The room I had booked originally was a bit small for our liking but we were upgraded, for a nominal fee, to a large very comfortable room. We found the location great. Cannery row is about a 20 minute walk and there are plenty of restaurant options close by. It's only a 3 minute walk to the ocean and plenty of walking/biking paths. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank out4goodtimes

It is because of guests like you that we truly enjoy what we do. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was the second time that I spent a week at the Centrella Inn. It's a charming nice Inn, with great breakfast, nice and clean rooms. I had no tv in the room but I really didn't mind that. In fact it's nice to not always get distracted by it. Oh, and the location is great too. Especially if you wanna go for a long run in the morning along the ocean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DocMaly

You have discovered the true magic of Pacific Grove...The run along water. The sea otters playing in the surf, the seagulls floating about, the deer wandering the golf course. All provide a beautiful background. Can't wait to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We came across this b&b after driving from San Francisco and had not booked so was pleased to find rooms available. The lady on reception was really helpful and let me have a key to view the room prior to deciding to check in. The room was not very large but nicely decorated in the victorian theme in keeping with the property. They have an early evening wine hour which we had missed, however the receptionist poured us a welcome glass to take to our room which was a nice touch.
No tea/coffee maker in the room, but there was tea and coffee available in the lounge area at all times and this could be taken up to the room - when we came in after being out for dinner in the evening there was also a plate of home made cookies in the lounge - Yum.
Breakfast was good with choice of cooked or something from the buffet.
Location was excellent a few minutes walk to town or to the sea and a lovely 15-20 walk into Monterey whilst spotting seals, sea otters, dolphin etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tw0Sheep

We are very happy you found us. The Centrella Inn has a way of drawing people to her. The owners were raised in London they bring a bit of British flavor to the peninsula.

I know we are oceans away, but if you are ever in this area again we would love to have you as our guest.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed at the B&B with my spouse and son for the third time We rented a cottage. The B&B was OK, but not as good as before. Something has changed, it might be a staff or ownership change. Breakfast was an issue. The last time we stayed at the Centrella breakfast was a buffet. This time it was a cooked breakfast and slowed the entire process. There was an inadequate number of tables a patrons were wondering when they would be served. The new system just didn't work. Our cottage was quaint but worn. We also didn't have pillow cases for one of the pull out sofa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. When the current owners took over, 10 years ago, they wanted to remove the hotel feel and create a home away from home feel. That is why we added a fresh cooked to order breakfast, just like you would get at grandma's house. We do offer the continental items buffet style, such as breads for toasting, hard boiled eggs, homemade scones, cereals as well as juice and coffee and tea.

It is unfortunate that the items in your room were not fully prepared for your stay. I have spoken with housekeeping to insure that does not occur again.

We strive to make our guests a priority and as comfortable as possible. Your feed back will help to keep us on the right path.

Thank you.

#2 of 8 in Pacific Grove
Monterey Peninsula Inn
Monterey Peninsula Inn
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Centrella Inn? Share your experiences!