“Antiquated, tiny rooms, way overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Centrella Inn

London, England
“Antiquated, tiny rooms, way overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

Booked this hotel for one night in Monterey after positive reviews on TA. On arrival, we were first told they couldn't find our booking - turns out they had it under my partner's name, even though I had booked and paid for the hotel under my name, with my credit card. Oh, pardon me, we aren't married so the booking must naturally be under the man's name, right? Once they found us, we were then given, in my opinion, the worst room in the hotel - right next to reception on the ground floor. This was a 'Victorian Premier' room, costing over $200 a night. What we got was a tiny room, with scratched drab wallpaper, and barely enough space to fit a bed and two side tables. There was nowhere to fit our suitcases.

I complained and we were offered the room next door (marginally further away from the reception desk) but even with the door closed you could still hear general hubbub filtering through. At least the wallpaper here was lighter and brighter. That was about the only positive - there was no TV, the bed was a cast-iron contraption that was so high and made so much noise if you moved, that I spent the night frozen in one spot, afraid to start a cacophony of squeaking, or worse, falling out of bed altogether. Still, at least I would have landed on our suitcases which we had laid around the bed due to lack of space.

The bathroom had a shower that emitted only mist, as if they'd installed a sprinkler system instead. There were three switches just to use the bathroom - light, fan and heat I think- and the lock on the room door made getting in and out an experience in itself. I normally like antiquity and character, but the features at Centrella were just downright irritating.

Next morning, we had to share a table with other guests (who were very nice but mornings aren't the best time for smalltalk). My breakfast of scrambled eggs and potatoes (included in rate) was a meagre portion which did not cover half the plate. The potatoes were hard in the middle.

So were there any plus points? There was free parking out front, the receptionist was poilte, helpful and friendly. We were offered a complimentary glass of wine on check in, and there was tea and coffee available 24 hours in reception, which was a nice touch. There was also a lounge area with a fire and a stack of magazines and stacks of menus for local restaurants.

However, the size of the rooms, the awful bed and outdated contraptions would put me off staying at Centrella Inn again.

2 Thank WandaLust07
centrellainn, Manager at Centrella Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear Wandalust07,

We would never discriminate or make any assumptions about our guests. We complete the reservations using the information that is provided by our guests. We would have no way of knowing the relationship with your fellow traveler unless you provided us with that information and even then you would be asked under whose name you would like the reservation made. I believe when you made the reservation through our website you inadvertently used your partners information instead of supplying your own.

Unfortunately people don't realize that the inn was built in 1889 as a boarding house and therefore most of the rooms are bedroom size. Since we do have the antique fixtures and furniture it can make the rooms smaller than your average hotel room. The time during which you were traveling did make it difficult to move you to a more spacious room because the majority of the rooms had been booked the year prior due to the Concours D'Elegance car event.

Thank you for letting us know about the squeaking antique bed frame. We have since remedied that situation and are in the process of replacing all the mattress at the Inn. We hope to have this done before the end of the year. We just finished installing new sofa sleepers, now were are on to new mattress sets.

The shower has been repaired as well. All it needed was a new shower head and now it works like a dream.

Thank you again for your feedback. We see each comment as an opportunity to grow.

Honey Green
Centrella Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Florence, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed for a three day weekend, and really enjoyed our visit, we would highly recommend it. A short walk to restaurants and the shore path. Good breakfasts and a lovely social hour in the early evenings.

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I arrived and departed all in the time span of 90 minutes. Although I've stayed in many "antique" bed and breakfasts, this one is like staying at your grandmother's home that is musty, stuffy, and overall in need of a complete renovation. My husband, who has mild asthma, had an attack within 30 minutes of arriving. The Centrella Inn is a mold trap without any ventilation system- there is no air conditioning and I didn't see any ceiling fans. The charm and authenticity of a bed and breakfast can be kept while updating fixtures, carpeting, and the ventilation system. There's no excuse for an unhealthy environment.

Although we received a refund for the following 5 nights of our trip, we felt we should have also been credited our first night's charge, which was over $200.00. In addition, it took another visit and 3 additional phone calls to receive our refund and even then, it was delayed. We spent a lot of time looking for another place to stay and lucky just happened on a cancellation. Our vacation was hindered, but could have been ruined.

We booked the reservation at resort2me.com and do not feel they gave an accurate representation of the venue online or by the phone, nor did the Centrella Inn website.

An unhealthy place should not charge you for being unhealthy and it shouldn't be unhealthy in the first place. The health department needs to look into this bed and breakfast. I'm sure we're not the only ones who have had this experience.

4 Thank Lea11_11
Dear Lea11_11,

I have to admit I was very surprised when I read your review. After the time we spent conversing , you didn't once say anything negative about the Inn. The only concern you voiced was your worry that your husband might not be happy staying at a bed and breakfast because he usually stayed at major hotels but that you were excited to try something new.

You originally made the reservation through a 3rd party booking agent and per that contract the stay was considered non-refundable as well as non-cancel-able , however once your husband advised us of his need for central air conditioning due to his breathing condition, we didn't hesitate to release you from your obligation. We value people, not money.

Unfortunately, It did take a few days to get the funds released back to your credit card, but on our end we had released those funds the same day you checked out. I believe the weekend may have had a bit to do with the delay. I offered to fax something to your banking institution to help expedite the release, but your husband was kind and said he would allow the bank to do their job.

During that conversation your husband said several times he thought the place was lovely but stressed his need for central air conditioning. I even talked with your husband about my nephew having severe breathing issues that also require the use of central air conditioning to help control his environment. Hence my empathy concerning the situation.

I don't normally take reviews personally but this one stung quite a bit because we did spend so much time having what I thought were pleasant and honest conversations.

Honey Green
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The minute you set eyes on this place you realise you've stumbled across something special. The interior of the place is beautiful with it's old world charm. Everything was clean. The staff were friendly and helpful without being in your face. Great value for money. Enjoyed the lovely breakfast as well as the afternoon drinks and nibbles. Could not fault it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

The hotel was very well situated - only a few blocks from a waterfront park and the trail that walks down to the Aquarium, Cannery area, etc. The hotel staff was very friendly and professional; they really wanted our stay to be enjoyable. Breakfast was wonderful - would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Livermore, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

This Inn was wonderful and the staff was excellent. The chefs were really wonderful chefs.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had the good fortune to stay at the Centrella while visiting family in the area this spring. We loved it. The location is great--a few blocks from the beautiful ocean, or into town in the other direction. We stayed in one of the cottages which, for three of us, was just perfect--gave us more room than just a hotel room. And it was a pleasure to stroll through the garden on the way to/from the cottage. The cottage was pleasant ,and the bed was very comfortable. The internet connection was occasionally a bit slow, but basically it all worked fine. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The wine and cheese receptions were very pleasant and very welcome. And the breakfasts were the best bed and breakfast breakfasts we have ever had--the baked goods such as apricot scones were terrific. They cook your meal to order, and have a range of tasty, fresh options. Altogether, if you are looking to stay in the Pacific Grove/Monterrey area, I recommend this inn very highly.

Room Tip: Cottages are great.