“Tired, very basic Best Western”

Best Western Oxnard Inn
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed March 12, 2008

Let's start with the positives: the room was large, and fairly clean.

Now the rest:
The room was very tired. Furnishings are very old and worn, carpet was extremely worn, very outdated.

Location is in a very sketchy (not nice) neighborhood. It is not very far from the heart of downtown Camarillo (!), but it is a scary little neighborhood.

Don't plan on eating at the 'continental breakfast'. Spend $4.00 at 7-11 and you'll have a much better meal. Even the coffee was nasty.

Staff were okay, not particularly friendly or helpful.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed 1 night at the Best Western Oxnard Inn. The appearance of the outside of the hotel is pretty decent. The check-in was very smooth, desk clerks were pleasant. The overall area of the check-in was nice, couches, tables & chairs fr breakfast.
We walked into our room, and it smelled. It had a horrible odor, that we couldnt quite figure out what it was. We opened the window (thankfully it was windy) cause it blew out the nasty smell, but once we left for dinner and came back the smell was back. The room itself, seemed clean, the sink backed up some as you ran the water. Bathroom was clean and shower worked nicely.

They offer a continental breakfast, but let me just say unless you are broke spring for optional breakfast at a restuarant. There wasnt much choice for breakfast.

The area is left to question, we didn't have any problems but then again I would not walk out after dark by myself and wouldnt recommend it either. The people who seemed to stay there, were let's just say fit in with the surroundings of the hotel. No it's not the worst area you could be in, but if you travel alone I'd stay elsewhere.

Overall, I'd pretty much say if you are staying for business or only a couple days go for it. But other than that, I think you could find a better deal somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhotoLover27
Reviewed February 25, 2007

The hotel was in disrepair. Carpets (common area and rooms) were dirty in appearance and smelled of mold/mildew. The free in-room highspeed internet conection did not work. I reported it three days in a row and nobody came by to fix it or look at it. In general the service was bad and unfriendly...as you speak to them you get the feeling they are composing a mental grocery list or day dreaming of a long over due vacation. Also, the lobby was locked afterhours. When I went to check out at 330 am, the desk clerk would not let me in; I had to use a window. I assume the staff security is valued more than the guests' security. This is a concern as the hotel is not located in the best barrio. The room was also dirty; the bathroom had not been cleaned as there were pubic hairs and urine stains on the toilet. Two light fixtures also did not work. The treadmill did not work. That was a bummer since one cannot safely run in the area (see earlier comment about locked lobby).

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank MarylandKurt
Reviewed January 1, 2007

The room was okay clean. Could've been cleaner...something was caked in the bed skirt. Don't want to know. Parts of the bathroom needed minor or surface repairs. The main problem was the ants crawling all over the sink area. I was afraid to leave my things there for fear of bringing ants home. I checked out after 1 night. Would not have stayed that long except it was really late and I was really tired. Mattress was lumpy. On the brightside, the outside of the property was pretty and the room was quiet.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank christiepooh
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Are you looking for a nice hotel at a great price? Then this isn't it! There is so much to list I'll just give you the highlights:

-Reserved room was not available the first night and was substituted with an inferior room with no reimbursement.

-Parking lot is poorly designed and hard to get in and out of the tiny spaces.

-Sandwiched between an abandoned lumber yard and a weedy empty lot.

-The hotel was renovated two years ago, to the EXTERIOR ONLY!

- Had to switch rooms because the carpet had so many stains I fear for my health and dust level was nasty.

- Service was horrible! Attitude whenever we brought our concerns forward.

- Old air conditioning units were stored next to the swimming pool and showed evidence of having been there awhile in the elements.

All in all I have to say that the hotel was one of the worst I have ever visited. Take your money elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank walkermr
Reviewed July 25, 2006

Having stayed here twice in the past year, I was shocked at the deterioration in such a short time. Not as clean, not as welcoming by the staff as the last stay.
Then, upon attempting to leave the room for breakfast, I discovered the magnetic key lock was inoperative and the door would not open. Calling the front desk resulted in a wait of about ten minutes for someone to try the lock from the outside and confirm that the problem.
Looking for an option, I discovered the window covered with an iron grill to discourage burglery (or to keep unhappy guests from leaving this way) thus.
After an hour, we called the Fire Department. They arrived about the same time another maintenance man showed up at the door and was able to open the door. (Too bad! I was looking forward to having the Firemen break down the door.)
No discount or other adjustment offered. Poor offering of items from the "included" breakfast buffet. Overall, bad with no hope for improvement.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank RAGTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Riverside
Reviewed May 20, 2006

Hopefully since I stayed at this hotel it has undergone a massive renovation and change in management, but according to their website at the time (2002) it had just gone through a huge renovation. I'm assuming this was in the lobby and exterior, because it surely was not the guest rooms.

I was on business travel and had to stay two nights in this hole until a room was open at the Residence Inn. The bed in my room was broken, yes! It looked as if an elephant had sat on it, there was a huge depression on one side of the bed. The carpets were so filthy they were black - and walking on them barefoot left your feet black in no time. I asked that they be cleaned and they were - but were still pig filthy. I ended up putting a bedspread on the floor to walk on and always wore at least socks at all times except when I was in the shower.

The light fixture above the dressing area was broken - and never did get fixed, so put my makeup on in semi darkness. The bathroom fixtures were also broken - the toilet tank cover, light fixture, etc. All in all was like staying in a dark, filthy cave. The room smelled awful - I bought a bottle of Fabreze and sprayed anything fabric - drapes etc.

I did ask for another room and was told there were none available.

Though it has been some time since I stayed at this motel, it lingers in my memory as far and away the absolute worst motel/hotel experience I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed: April 2002, traveled on business