Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
  • Fitness center
Surfside Motel(Port Hueneme)
Seaside Inn(Port Hueneme)
2,294 results
All reviewsocean frontan ocean view roombeautiful resorthappy hourfree drinksmandalay beachparking garagebeach accessevening receptiongreat beachthe managersfull bathroomswet barfamily vacationsand dunesfirst flooromelet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 28, 2008

When I was told my conference was in Oxnard, I had visions of strawberry fields and shanty towns. Boy was I surprised by this spacious, well kept property that is ON the beach. Many rooms have amazing views, and those that don't are a 2 minute walk away from uncrowded and gorgeous scenery. The hotel itself is also well designed and kept; hotel restaurant had tasty lunches; and a excellent range of food at the breakfast bar. I was here for a conference, but it would be a great place for a quite weekend get away as well.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank UCLASteve
Reviewed September 22, 2008

This hotel was OK but I wouldn't stay there again. The rooms are pretty run down. Everyone I know raves about it but there are nicer ones down the street (see my other reviews). The hotel was old and the resturant was overpriced. If I wasn't on the government rate it would have been a total rip off. However, it's on the beach and the conference facility was good.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Recently stay over the Labor day weekend on points. Did not expect nor did I get an upgrade from my "no view" room. However, I did expect but did not get "My Way" amenities as a Gold member - despite my reminder. The front desk seemed surprised that I even asked.
The Good: The hotel is on a great beach location which is relatively pristine. The breakfast was good and efficient. The staff also seemed nice and friendly.
The Bad: The common areas (the pool, garden, etc.) have a cramped feel. Imagine upgrading a motel to a "resort" by combining two rooms into one without changing the layout and you get the general idea. The rooms are also tired and need an upgrade. In addition, rooms also seem to have serious cleanliness issues. In my 100+ stays at various resorts/hotels/hostels/motels, this is the second time that I can recall that I asked for a change of rooms. To put that in perspective, in the past, I have put up with lots of miserable conditions including broken doors, water leaks, lack of power, etc. The first room I was assigned simply had an unknown but overwhelming odor. The second room did not smell but I still could not believe that the hotel would actually rent the room in its condition. The patio area overlooking a parking lot was particularly filthy. (I’ll try to post the pictures).
In summary, the use of the term "Resort" in its name is misleading. If they just left out that word, maybe I would have been more forgiving. But having set a high bar (and apparently charging rates to match), the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach Resort under delivers.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Less than an hour from LA's hustle lays this hidden gem. We have been coming from Bakersfied, Ca (less than a 2 hr drive) to the Mandalay Beach Resort since 1989, as it is our favorite beachfront resort in California. With its Mission architectural style, beautiful grounds with waterfalls and streams (there are even waterfalls that flow into the underground parking area), large heated pool, a large spa- that generally becomes a family spa- as well as a smaller more secluded spa that tends to attract adults, we have to call it a resort rather than a hotel.

During our travels here we have met individuals from all over the world (Germany, Russia, and Sri Lanka to name a few) which adds to the enjoyment. We have referred many friends to our "hidden gem" and have received many thanks, and no complaints.

The staff is extremely friendly and takes pride in remembering and acknowledging returning guests (which we love). Kudos to Derron and Matt. Service has always been good to excellent. The on site restaurant, Capistrano’s, is moderate to expensive in price, and high in quality so you do get what you pay for.

There are many restaurants from fish and chips to Italian, Sushi, Steak and Seafood; to Greek within 10 minutes drive should you desire to venture away from the resort. However, with all you can eat made to order breakfast (for all), and a two hour manager's reception (serving soft drinks, cocktails, beer, wine and light appetizers) included in the price of the room it's hard to drag yourselves away from this beautiful resort.

Each room has 2 bathrooms, a dining area, queen size sofa sleeper and easy chair, a separate bedroom (always good to have a little privacy) 2 TV's, microwave, refrigerator, wet bar, and most have nice patios or large balconies with great views. There are plenty of oceanfront rooms, many partial ocean view rooms, and pool and courtyard views are nice as well. There are a few rooms that have no view, so if that is important to you I suggest stepping up a price level to ensure a nicer room.

This was our 4th visit to the Mandalay this year, and we plan on one or two more before years end. If you love beautiful grounds, a friendly staff, and a nice relaxing oceanfront resort, this is the place for you.

To me and my family, with the amenities included, this resort is a bargain at any price.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank BakersfieldFunfamily
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I was in Oxnard on business and my husband flew in for a long weekend in between work weeks. We decided to stay at this Embassy Suite resort.
Positives:
* Breakfast was tasty, fast, with many choices
* Nice grounds - pool area well maintained and clean
* Rooms clean

Negatives:
* If you do not get an ocean view, you may be out of luck. Our room faced the unattractive parking lot (above ground).
* You will pay $15 for parking (on your own), but that seems to be the going rate.
* The cable went out while we were there - we had planned to stay in and watch a movie. No TV...no movie...therefore, it was an early night.
* Need a change machine somewhere - possibly in the laundry room.
* Halls need to be cleaned. Somebody dropped food along the hall one evening and it stayed there for three days.
* Much of the exterior looks unclean (except pool area).
* We were told there was a private hot tub area for adults...away from the children; however when we found it, it had two families with lots of kids using it as their personal swimming pool. I did not see signs stating it was for adults only.

All in all, we had a comfortable stay; however, for the high price, I would have expected better. I will stay elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business