“Hotel and restaurant”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Oxnard
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Excellent facility. Very friendly and helpful. Evening meals, however, were overpriced and the ribeye steak was a disaster --- tough, dry, way overpriced at $43+. We would stay there again if in the region.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
lasdikian, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed the resort. I apologize that you did not have a good experience in our restaurant. I will share your comments with our restaurant staff. We will welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards, Lisa Asdikian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,227)

Reviewed December 30, 2013

There was no "do not disturb" sign in the room, had to ask for one, front desk was a bit condescending about it. The front desk was also pretty condescending when I asked about tennis rackets for the tennis court. I reported that there was something sticking on the furniture, housekeeping came in to clean it when I had the "do not disturb" sign on the door and was in the shower. I came out of the shower thinking it was my husband in the room, the staff person asked if it was OK to stay and clean the furniture. WHAT?? NO!!! I cannot believe the person came in the room with a "do not disturb" sign on the door and stayed in the room when they heard the shower was on! That was so unnerving and inappropriate. My husband and I were also appalled that the hotel grounds are sprayed down every morning when we are in a drought situation. That is such a waste of resources and completely unsustainable. When we asked about this the front desk said "well, that is just how we do it". My husband was blown away that the hotel is not using battery operated blowers and reducing the water use. There were a lot of ants in the room, probably due to the heavy use of water on the hotel grounds.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us as your comments are very important as we improve upon our services. I apologize about your experience and I will make sure our housekeeping team and management staff is aware of this. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

My first time at an Embassy Resort. My stay was excellent, but for one disappointment. This Resort did not a van service to local sites or dining. Past stays at other Embassy Hotel have always provides a van service. I had to provide my own city taxi service to local site and dining

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am happy to hear that you had a good stay. We don’t provide transportation around town, but we are located next door to the Channel Islands Harbor, which has some interesting and diverse restaurants. If you visit again, our staff would be happy to provide you with information.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel has an incredible location and is very beautiful, but a lot of little things went wrong that made the experience less than great. Many of the items provided in the room didn't work, such as the iron and alarm clock. I was not informed of the parking fee prior to checkout. The usually wonderful evening reception that Embassy Suites provides was embarrassingly bad. On the positive side: room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. Pool area is beautiful and well maintained. This could be a great hotel if Hilton would bring it up to the level of other Embassy Suites

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sportinglife1
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Surprisingly nice hotel. The rooms are fantastic. So big and modern with patios. Pool and landscape make you feel on vacation even in November. Your lunch and dinner options are limited, expensive and not that great. Breakfast has everything you can imagine with a huge room to accommodate guests. We stopped one night on our way to disneyland and I would come again for a longer extended stay. Great beach front location.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

It’s nice to hear that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our large guest suites as well as our many amenities. Please do visit us again when you can spend more time. We will look forward to seeing you!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

There aren't too many good hotels on the beach in California that I would consider affordable. This is an Embassy Suites so you get more for your dollar. Sure, you can stay at a Hilton, Hyatt or Sheraton on the beach and pay the same, but you have to pay for happy hour drinks and breakfast.

We were on a trip back to our home of origin - Silicon Valley - and returning back to our new home of Phoenix, Arizona. Thanks to smart phones, I found this hotel while driving south on Highway 101. We arrived during the Manager's welcome reception for wine and drinks. The kids enjoyed virgin drinks. The snack bar was full of chips and salsa, fresh popcorn and other treats. There's plenty of tables for everyone, at least on the day we arrived.

The rooms are newly renovated and were nicely appointed with dark wood. We chose one of the 2 bed/2 bath ocean view rooms, which had an awesome view and the sounds of crashing waves.

The pool was nice, but was too cold for our taste. We are spoiled with warmer pool water in Arizona. The pool area was nice with a tropical feel.

We went to the beach for a couple of hours before the late summer sunset. The water was warmer than expected - cold, but not shockingly cold for early June for the Pacific Ocean. The only problem was all the dead sand crabs. The sand was soft as our feet dug into it easily. We just spent days at Santa Cruz with the hard packed sand so this was a nice feeling on the feet.

The waves were stronger than Santa Cruz so getting in the water was not an option as it could pull you into the ocean easily. We just had to watch the younger ones closely.

Returning from the beach, there are cleaning wipes at the gates. The sign says to use for wiping oil sludge from feet. I had forgotten that SoCal beaches have this problem due to the offshore drilling. You can see the oil rigs on the horizon. So we scrubbed away any black dots on our feet with the gasoline smelling wipes. But it works.

At the night, the resort is loud with outdoor music playing from the pool area. This was fine it wasn't late yet. The mood is festive. When the resort quiets down, it's nice to hear the waterfalls when walking around the grounds.

We slept comfortably with the sounds of the waves crashing against the shore. We kept the sliding doors cracked open to hear the waves.

My wife, 16 year old and I woke up at 7 while the 2 younger ones slept in. We took turns going to the breakfast buffet and retrieved bacon, sausages, pancakes, hash browns, fruit and more and brought back to our room to enjoy in privacy. The line grew longer for the made to order omelettes. It would be better if they had a separate line for the breakfast buffet items because not everyone wants omelettes so the many didn't realize they could walk over to the 2 separate buffet lines and get the ready made items. Fortunately for us, we knew and re-loaded quickly.

My family of 5 love Embassy Suites. I love Embassy Suites for its bang for your buck. We are definitely returning to this resort.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for writing such a great review! I’m glad you enjoyed your visit and that you are planning to return again with your family. I will be sharing your evaluations and suggestions with our management team for review. We will look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed over Christmas with family from Minnesota, Colorado and California. We especially enjoyed the Christmas buffet in a private banquet room. Our primary server, Erin, was magnificent. The hotel's location and exterior are excellent. Pool and ocean access wonderful. Front desk staff a bit surly. Rest of staff excellent (although cleaning woman did not leave rest room when a gentleman entered.) Suite was really spacious--two bathrooms, two flat panel TVs, balcony overlooking pool and grounds, as well as the ocean and islands beyond. Rooms are huge. Furnishings are very dated, but well maintained and comfortable. Grounds also well maintained. (Did note housekeeping did not clean under beds--found Cheetos and some dirt under there.) Rest of suite was clean and serviceable. One shower head needs replacement. Mere trickle. TV remote and one telephone not functioning, but we did not report until checkout. Trust they took care of it. Unhappy with change policy. We had confirmed a king bed, but unexpected health issues necessitated two queens. Hotel stuck on another $60.00 PER NIGHT for the change (hotel was busy, but clearly not full.) That is unconscionable, and one would trust and hope it represents the attitude of the franchisee and its management, not Hilton Worldwide. Full, made-to-order breakfast good, but some hot items were cold. (Same dirty rag used to wipe down tables between breakfast guests.) New restaurant needs some attention. One of our family found a rib-eye ( $42.25!!) to be full of gristle and virtually inedible. Perhaps a new purveyor might prevent a problem like that. Bed very comfortable. Four pillows--one down--excellent. Internet access charge outrageous, and parking fee simply a way to gouge guests. (This is NOT a Waldorf or Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton.) Great for families. We certainly enjoyed our stay. Overall, an enjoyable experience. I gladly recommend the property, but closer attention to detail--and a review of bed-type change charge, internet and parking fee policies-- would move my review up a notch and could give this an "excellent" review.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TolucaLakeObserver

Dear TolucaLakeObserver,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for choosing us for your holiday weekend getaway. We are so glad that you were able to enjoy all of the hotel amenities we have to offer, and that you especially enjoyed the Christmas buffet. We will pass along your compliments to Erin! We sincerely apologize that your entire stay with us did not meet all of your expectations though. Your comments about our room furnishings, front desk staff, room change policies and food quality will be shared with our Executive Team to ensure this experience isn’t repeated. If you feel there is anything we can do to correct this, please reach out to our Executive offices at 805-760-9000.

Lisa Asdikian

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxnard
Homewood Suites by Hilton Oxnard/Camarillo
Hampton Inn Channel Islands Harbor
Hilton Garden Inn, Oxnard/Camarillo
Residence Inn Oxnard River Ridge
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
5 mi away
Courtyard Oxnard Ventura

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Mandalay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!